• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 02:53 PM

It's a long weekend up here in Canada so I've been tackling a bit of sheet metal work on the 317 Console. The sides were rotten and had been filled in the past and rusted through again. The bottom flange is pretty much rusted off the sides so I thought I'd try to build new sides. The shape is complex and it took a while to measure it up. I cut the 2 16g sides at once with a jig saw using a good quality metal blade. I then measured out all the common holes, centre punched them and drilled a small pilot hole through both pieces. I then drilled the holes on the drill press for each side separately. I used a 7/8" Greenlee punch to cut the large holes and a 2" hole saw for the starter hole for the slot.  It went pretty well and it all seems to line up well when placed over the old sides. Now I need to get the old sides off and attach the new ones. I'll probably attempt to spot weld them from the back by drilling holes in the thicker front console, but part of me wants to bolt it all together because the console is always in the way when working on the tractor and is very difficult to remove the way it is attached from the factory. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to them. Heres some pics. 

DSCF8646.jpg

DSCF8645.jpg  DSCF8644.jpg

DSCF8648.jpg  DSCF8647.jpg

• Utah Smitty, TerryD, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#2 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 04:38 PM

Great project!  Do you have the dimensions for the new parts?  I could put it into CAD if you'd like, then you could upload it on the forum.

I tend to agree with you about being able to access the stuff behind the panel. You might be able to make up right angle pieces of steel that are spot welded to one part, but have a captive nut on the other, etc.  FWIW....

Smitty

• JDBrian and larryd have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Brian, all I will say is that you have a lot more body working talent than I ever hope to acquire!  I probably pay too much to others for something I could technically do myself if I had the right tools and enough sheet metal to screw up three before the fourth one works.

Ben W.

• JDBrian said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 06:25 PM

Great project!  Do you have the dimensions for the new parts?  I could put it into CAD if you'd like, then you could upload it on the forum.

I tend to agree with you about being able to access the stuff behind the panel. You might be able to make up right angle pieces of steel that are spot welded to one part, but have a captive nut on the other, etc.  FWIW....

Smitty

Sorry Smitty, I didn't really measure it and make a plan for it. It was more of a start at the top, measure and make the necessary cuts then lay it on top of the old part and move on from there. The holes I measured and marked out individually but I didn't write anything down. If I had of thought of it before hand it would have been worth doing. It took some time but wasn't really difficult. 

Many of these are badly rusted but the one on my 314 was salvageable with a new bottom flange riveted to one side. I am also making a new battery tray for it. Most people would have used this 317 for parts but they are hard to find here and I like a challenge! Next I'll be removing the old side panels and putting the front of the console in the electrolysis tank to de rust it. I'll figure out how I'm going to attach the sides while that's going on. I may be able to weld nuts to the back side of the front panel and bolt it on or use a plate like you are suggesting. I'll have a look at the 314 and see how cramped it is in there. The bolts that mount the console to the frame are almost impossible to get at and tend to rust in place. I spent hours getting the 314 apart but the 317 came apart easier even though it was rusted worse. It's nearly impossible to work on the hydro linkage or steering parts with the console in the way. 

• Alc said thank you

#5 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 07:00 PM

I like the idea of bolt the new pieces to the older ones but use small carriage bolts, that way you will have a smooth surface facing out and to me that always give a clean appearance.

Dick

• JDBrian said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 06:33 AM

I may spot weld the sides to the front and maybe bolt it to a piece of angle iron that mounts to the frame. If the bolts are allen head they could be placed out of sight below the fender deck which is elevated above the frame by about 3/4". That way nothing shows but the console could easily be raised and moved to the side for maintenance work. You would have to remove the fender deck but that is 4 bolts that are easily accessible.  

#7 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 06:44 AM

Very nice work. I enjoy seeing revamps such as this.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 01:19 PM

Got the sides off the front panel. On one side I could just see the outline of the spot welds so I drilled them out. The other side had been filled when painted so I couldn't see the welds. Measured the other side but they weren't exactly the same. Ground off a couple of them and eventually got it apart. Cleaned the front panel up and removed the Ser. no plate. It's now in the electrolysis tank bubbling away! 

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 03:20 PM

OK. Got the front panel de rusted in the tank and I'm now going to start prepping it for spot welding the sides onto the front. I've never done spot welding and don't have much welding experience at all. Anyone have any tips to make this go smoother. I'll be drilling some holes in the wrap around section of the front panel for access to spot weld the sides. How big do they need to be? I have trouble welding thin metal with my setup. It's a small Century wire feed with 2 settings for heat and I'm using Lincoln .035 wire.  I think I'll practice on some 16 gauge scraps left over from the new console sides. The front panel is thicker, I'm going to guess 14 gauge. I'm thinking it's important to have the 2 pieces clamped securely together to avoid getting a gap between them. 

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 03:05 AM

Brian, for the spot welds, I would try at least a 3/16" hole on your scraps. If that's too small, go to a 1/4".

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 09:32 AM

Thanks Kenny, I'll be experimenting later today hopefully. 

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 09:35 AM

Got the console front prepped and ready to add the sides.

DSCF8995.jpg  DSCF8996.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 03:13 PM

Got it welded. More info here. http://gardentractor...e-6#entry320447

DSCF8999.jpg

I had already added 3/8" holes for welding it on so I was unable to take Kenny's advice and I used short beads of weld rather than spots, although as long as it holds I guess it doesn't matter. 

• Alc said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: john deere 317