Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Rare And Unique Vintage Large Garden Tractor - $1150 (Frankfort Ky)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#16 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 09:02 AM

Now that's the first one I've seen with two transmissions.  Some of the larger later models (Model D?) had sheet metal around the engine IIRC

Smitty

#17 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 08:33 PM

Sorry guys, but in my opinion, there is nothing Gibson in that machine.  I cannot spot a single part on it that is Gibson.  

Regardless of exactly what it is, it looks like a sweet machine to me.  I like it.

By the way, the model A Gibson has the 16" rear wheels with tiller steer and no sheet metal, the model D Gibson has 24" rear wheels (some early ones had 22" rear wheels, or so I've read - haven't seen one) with tiller steer and no sheet metal (had one then sold it), the model SD Gibson has 24" rear wheels, tiller steering, a hood and fenders (still have one of these), the model Super D, has the hood and fenders and a factory steering wheel (which is clearly factory - it comes through the casting of the dash), and a Super D2, which is the same as the Super D but has a 2 cylinder wisconsin engine, whereas the others are single cylinder.  Those are the smaller tractors, and there were some rare factory options here and there that did come on these tractors.  There are lots of homebuilt modifications done to these tractors, for example I've seen many where steering wheels have been added.  There were also larger, much more rare Gibsons, including the model E, H and I. 

#18 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 04:19 PM

Sorry guys, but in my opinion, there is nothing Gibson in that machine.  I cannot spot a single part on it that is Gibson.  

Regardless of exactly what it is, it looks like a sweet machine to me.  I like it.

By the way, the model A Gibson has the 16" rear wheels with tiller steer and no sheet metal, the model D Gibson has 24" rear wheels (some early ones had 22" rear wheels, or so I've read - haven't seen one) with tiller steer and no sheet metal (had one then sold it), the model SD Gibson has 24" rear wheels, tiller steering, a hood and fenders (still have one of these), the model Super D, has the hood and fenders and a factory steering wheel (which is clearly factory - it comes through the casting of the dash), and a Super D2, which is the same as the Super D but has a 2 cylinder wisconsin engine, whereas the others are single cylinder.  Those are the smaller tractors, and there were some rare factory options here and there that did come on these tractors.  There are lots of homebuilt modifications done to these tractors, for example I've seen many where steering wheels have been added.  There were also larger, much more rare Gibsons, including the model E, H and I. 

I'm not familiar with all that Gibson made, and this certainly resembled one, so that was my best guess. 

Smitty

#19 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 07:33 PM

I'm not familiar with all that Gibson made, and this certainly resembled one, so that was my best guess. 

Smitty

I could be very, very wrong about it not being a Gibson or partially a Gibson.  To be honest, one of the few things in this life that I'm really, really good at is being wrong.  I'm probably one of the best there is (no brag, just fact).  In the very least I'm a seasoned veteran.