• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johnpamac OFFLINE  

johnpamac
  • Member No: 39500
  • 9 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 07:27 AM

I have a Ariens S-16H that I bought as a project, knowing the transmission is bad.  Starts fine, when I try to go forward nothing at first until I lifted the hydraulics and then it shot forward.  I shut it off, started again but had to open the neutral bypass valve to start it, tractor wanted to jump forward in neutral.  Next time I put it in forward drive and it went backwards.  My question is the transmission shot completely or does the hydraulic lift have to be replaced.  I saw that the hydraulic controls leaks by the lever, it looks like someone took it apart before.  Any suggestions, change hydraulic control or transmission, I may just do both?

• JRJ said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 03:05 PM

Welcome to GTTAlk! It almost sounds like it may not have been but back together properly. The symptoms you describe don't sound like a common fault. I'd try to find a service manual and/or a parts diagram and see if it looks like it's assembled properly. A line may be connected to the wrong port or there could be some other problem. The control linkage could be connected wrong and something isn't right with the control valves so IMO it really needs a good check for proper assembly before going any further.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 03:10 PM

Heres a link to some basic info. on adjusting the linkage etc. This is  condensed basic service info for the S16 from our manuals section. Have a look at what else is there in the manuals section for Ariens and maybe there is more info that will help. 

http://gardentractor...g-47-51-ariens/

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,521 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 05:20 PM

Welcome to GTtalk!!  It is sounding like there might be some play in the linkage allowing the control arm to do what it pleases. Do you have a model number for it? I think Ariens changed a few of the linkages from model to model.

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 06:12 PM

I can't be of much help (beyond adding an amen to those who say that there was something put together wrong) but I will say welcome to the forum!  I hope you decide to stick around for a little while.

Ben W.

#6 johnpamac OFFLINE  

johnpamac
  • Member No: 39500
  • 9 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 06:01 AM

Transmission issue resolved.  I changed the hydro thinking it was bad and I had an extra to put in.  Once I had the old one out I took a good look at it and found the issue.  When I would use the lever to go forward and reverse that linkage only turns a shaft on the hydro just very little drive the tractor.  The problem was a broken roll pin on that shaft.  Makes sense because when I would increase RPM's the tractor would take off and then try to go in reverse, just all over.  Increasing RPM's, increased hydraulic pressure and with out regulating where the oil was going in the hydro caused the issue.  Thanks for the help

• OldBuzzard said thank you

#7 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 09:30 AM

Good to see that it was a simple fix.

Sometimes those 'simple fixes' are the hardest to find since we look everywhere else for the cause of the problem.