#1 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 08:39 PM

I am having issues with my 1050 surging under load. I find only a parts manual, I thought we had a service manual in the past.

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Its in the Engine manuals section

http://gardentractor...-repair-manual/

#3 C130A Flight Engineer OFFLINE  

C130A Flight Engineer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 3333
  • 175 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 09:54 AM

"Surging" under load is I have found typically a carburation issue. I have dealt with this on my 900 with S8D and a couple of others. I bought a "carb kit" for all that was worth and put it in the 900 carb and it was ZERO help. Carb kits are usually only good for gaskets IMHO. On three surging engines (all Wisconsin, one an AHH), the surge was caused by wear of the throttle body shaft holes causing a mixture change that would make the governor surge back and forth. The wear is something that just happens with use and vibration over time. The shafts are mild steel and the carb is pot aluminum. Lets face, the designers really didn't think these things would still be running a half century later.

Excessive lean mixture causes hotter combustion therefor increasing power. With the surge in power the governor reacts and cuts the throttle back. When the power falls to low the vicious cycle starts again.

There is a detrimental side effect to excessive lean, which of course is hotter than design combustion gasses which in turn cause burned valves, valve seat damage and premature cylinder wear.

My final remedy, that worked, was to purchase a new carb for one of them, another I bought a parts carb and used the upper half with good tight throttle plate shaft and the other was bushed on the throttle plate shaft. Bushing can be done to restore dimensions but it is tricky with the smaller carbs as not much material is there to work with.

Good Luck!
  • gbrown said thank you

#4 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 08:53 PM

"Surging" under load is I have found typically a carburation issue. I have dealt with this on my 900 with S8D and a couple of others. I bought a "carb kit" for all that was worth and put it in the 900 carb and it was ZERO help. Carb kits are usually only good for gaskets IMHO. On three surging engines (all Wisconsin, one an AHH), the surge was caused by wear of the throttle body shaft holes causing a mixture change that would make the governor surge back and forth. The wear is something that just happens with use and vibration over time. The shafts are mild steel and the carb is pot aluminum. Lets face, the designers really didn't think these things would still be running a half century later.

Excessive lean mixture causes hotter combustion therefor increasing power. With the surge in power the governor reacts and cuts the throttle back. When the power falls to low the vicious cycle starts again.

There is a detrimental side effect to excessive lean, which of course is hotter than design combustion gasses which in turn cause burned valves, valve seat damage and premature cylinder wear.

My final remedy, that worked, was to purchase a new carb for one of them, another I bought a parts carb and used the upper half with good tight throttle plate shaft and the other was bushed on the throttle plate shaft. Bushing can be done to restore dimensions but it is tricky with the smaller carbs as not much material is there to work with.

Good Luck!

Are new Zenith carburetors even available anymore?

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Are new Zenith carburetors even available anymore?

You can find NOS ones lingering around but everyone is asking absurd amounts (Which isn't surprising seeing what people are paying for used ones :wallbanging: )

#6 C130A Flight Engineer OFFLINE  

C130A Flight Engineer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 3333
  • 175 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 09:56 PM

I did buy an NOS for my 900. It was in a Teledyne box, so it was more toward the end of whatever the production was for replacement carbs that Teledyne decided to make after taking over Wisconsin. However, it had sat on a shelf for a VERY long time. I took it out of the box and installed it and it ran terrible. So I opened up the carb and discovered the pot aluminum had corroded on the inside and the corrosion deposits were blocking passages etc. So if you get an NOS save yourself some trouble and disassemble and clean prior to install. This means you should probably order a "rebuild kit" which has all the gaskets when you buy the NOS as when you disassemble it the gaskets will likely need replacement.

#7 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 09:12 PM

I guess I will watch ebay.