#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 07:57 PM

The wife and I decided that enough was enough and we just had to get away for a while.........for the last four weeks we have been daily, during the week, traveling 60 miles round trip to the hospital for my finger. We decided we would take a few days and travel about three hours away to camp by the St. Marys River in Sault St. Marie MI., to relax and watch the Great Lake Freighters pass by. We got the 5th wheel trailer out cleanred it and got it ready to go. We went to the appointment on Thursday and left fo the weekend. Before we even left town we discovered a loud noise in the Allison transmission on our Silverado pickup. After going to see a trans tech at the dealer he advised drive it and monitor it. So we did. No problem so far.  After traveling the three hours we discovered that we had a bad tire on the trailer. After  receiving sticker shock at the price to replace it we decided we would do that. We planned on having it replaced the next day. While sitting at the picnic table enjoying our lunch, my wife said"....I hate to tell you this but that tire right there is bad too".......my reaction was.....well I guess you can figure that out...but before I could finish my first word she said " so is that one....." now that's two on one side and one on the other.....so I figured I would just crawl under the slide out and check the last one......Yup you guessed it Murphy was there laughiing at me......Now was I surprised? Yes I actually was......I keep the correct air pressure in the tires and cover the tires year round. I make sure they are clean and in good order. We checked the tires before we left like I do always.....air pressure and check for dry rot and any bubbles etc.. They were all in good sjhape. The first tire had a tread shift. It was a Carlise trailer tire 8 ply. The other three were Goodyear Marathon 8 ply tires. Those tires had seperated in the first tread and middle tread and across the tread. Now we had not planned for this but it did teach me a lesson.....HMMMM not sure what the lesson was........... Hard to believe four tires were over $600! Stopped our mini vaction then and there and kept us from staying the whole time we wanted. That combined with where we had to buy them from made for a stressful instead of relaxing getaway. One good thing about it......Now we have four new tires on the trailer to go anywhere we want to go.......once we save up enough money again....!  Sorry for the rant but I just had to get it out. Thanks. Hope you had a great weekend. Roger.  

• Alc, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 08:01 PM

Sorry to hear about your weekend, Roger.  I hope you can get out again with four new tires and go a whole lot farther!

What was the end of the story with your pickup?

Ben W.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 08:22 PM

Well.......there is no end yet! We are still driving it and it runs great....just whines loudly while shifting through the gears. Other than that it runs and shifts good. The tech (who is a Allison and GM trans tech) said he's never heard this before. Said I could give them three grand to tear it down and then possibly still not find a thing wrong with it. Fluid is good color and does not smell burnt. No shavings in the oil. Honestly I don't know what to do with it. I have a friend who had several GM vehicles with these trans in it and I will call him this week to see if he has had this happen. Roger.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,701 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 08:28 PM

When I started to read your post Roger I was expecting to hear you messed up your hand again on vacation.  The good news is that the hand survived!  We had a vacation like that years ago.  We had a popup at the time and both tires went bad and the spare was not in the greatest either.  The problem was trying to find a place that had tires for it.  We went over 150 miles before we found a place and then $$$.  Sorry to hear about your vacation going south.  Hopefully the next one will be better.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 09:25 PM

Sorry your trip got so screwed up , hope things turn around for you

• hamman said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 10:11 PM

Sorry to hear the weekend was less than perfect, you could've used a break.

Think of it this way, a bad day with loved ones is not as bad as it could've been.
  • hamman, oldedeeres and Marty'70 have said thanks

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 05:54 AM

I definitely know what you went through with the tire situation as I went through something similar recently.

We were on a road trip from Oberlin, OH to Wisconsin and back in our 'new to us' Winnebago Chieftain.

On the way back, just south of Milwaukee, we blew in inside rear tire.  After getting the spare on we looked at the date codes, and found that the tires were all WAY past the age where they needed to be replaced even though the tread was almost like new.

Tires have a useful life of about 6 years. Anything older than that, no matter how well you care for them, is a blowout waiting to happen.

In my case it cost a little over $2,500.00 to replace all 6 tires.

• hamman said thank you

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 09:58 AM

Somebody was watching over you. A trailer tire could have blown. Had you been on very rough roads? How old were the tires? When in doubt with an auto trany I change the fluid and filter. Sometimes there is a surprise in the pan. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#9 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 10:16 AM

We have gotten our fair share of use out of the tires. They are all from 2003 and 2002. My shock was that they all went on this trip. As I said when we left I checked each one and they looked good. They are covered most of the year to keep the UV off them so as not to cause detioration of them. We use tire foam and armorall on them at least three times a year. Our budget was small for this trip and we just got caught off guard with this big expense. We had said we were going to start putting away some money each payday to buy new tires in the spring next year. (guess we can use that money for something else now)  We hadn't planned on traveling much this year for various reasons. As for the transmission we had it serviced less than 20,000 miles ago with a flush, new fluid and both internal and exterior filters. Tech said fluid looked and smelled good and from the feel and checking the magnet on the end of the stick there was no visible metal on or in it. I am now going to be contacting Walmart for some information as I see the tires I bought on Sat. and Sun for $143.00 each are now $125.00 each. $18.00 less in 48 hours. Their sales people in th etire and service center were possibly overworked and under educated in their positions. First sales person tried to sell me suv tires for the trailer? Then he was reminded by me and his co-worker that I had already pointed out to him the tires I wanted by showing him the tires on the rack. He still didn't comprehend what I wanted. His co-worker took over and it went somewhat smoother after that. All over and done now and glad we made it back safe. Boyscout, I am sure we had an Angel watching over us. I believe the tread shift was a sign for us to look closer at the rest of the tires also. I didn't even pull the trailer another foot after finding theses problems, they were that bad. I pulled the wheels off in twos and took them to be replaced. Thanks guys. Roger.

• MH81, Alc, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks