• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 07:04 PM

has anyone tried this yet?

http://www.osx86project.org/

from what i understand is, it gives you OS x on a regular pc.

im thinking of downloading the ISO and give it a try but wanted to see if anyone has tried it

• HDWildBill said thank you

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 07:39 PM

There used to be a way to build a "Hackintosh", basically a PC with all the same parts as a real Mac. But on the newer Macs they have a special chip that is checked before OSX can be installed on it.

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Theoretically the two are very similar. You can run Windows on a Mac with either BootCamp, or Parallels. I used to run Parallels on mine, and it works very well, but there are still a few things that don't work right. I have used emulators for years and they never work as well as the real thing.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 08:11 PM

I would try it but I think it is going to be like the early days with Linux where you had a heck of a time getting everything working or you had to compile all of your own stuff from source to get a stable working system.

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 08:16 PM

I've heard of the project but that's about it.  In the article OS X on your notebook, one of the con's are about the licensing stating the OS had to be installed on an Apple branded computer.  I would think this would to a desktop as well.  Also like George stated you will probably have a challenge getting your hardware to work.  But if you do dl and ISO and install it I would love to hear about your experience with it.  The Distro I'm using satisfies my desire to have an OS X interface.

#6 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 03:34 AM

i have never used any mac computer at all and the only apple product i have ever used is the ipod i have now. 

all my computers i have now are Linux and even my phone is Android.

ill wait for my 64 gig thumb drive to get here this week and then try it.

thanks for the feed back

#7 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 07:13 PM

I have spent a fair amount of time with building hackintosh computers.  It is fairly easy to get it up and going but depending on hardware getting other features to work can be a pain.  You can buy a full retail install CD for under $50.  If you are going to try it go legit on the software.  After trying it on several Shuttle KPC's, a custom Intel i3 machine, and playing with a few other rebuilt machines I gave up.  No hackintosh will every be as reliable as a Mac.

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Apple takes a lot of care to make sure OS X works exactly with their hardware.  When you try to run hardware that ism't certified from Apple the drivers for that hardware may or may not work and in most cases not.  Yes you get great reliability from their computer products but when something does go south guess where you have to go?  That is my big beef with Apple.

• Trav1s said thank you

#9 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 08:40 AM

Apple takes a lot of care to make sure OS X works exactly with their hardware.  When you try to run hardware that ism't certified from Apple the drivers for that hardware may or may not work and in most cases not.  Yes you get great reliability from their computer products but when something does go south guess where you have to go?  That is my big beef with Apple.

That is the beauty and absolute truth of Apple.  As I get older I have decided that my time has more value in the past.  I much rather pay someone to put together a solid, stable, and reliable product than throw my time away trouble-shooting at the least convenient time. 

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 09:22 AM

That is the beauty and absolute truth of Apple.  As I get older I have decided that my time has more value in the past.  I much rather pay someone to put together a solid, stable, and reliable product than throw my time away trouble-shooting at the least convenient time. 

Funny how our values change as we get older. :D  I can remember in years past dealing with hardware problems with both Windows and Linux.  The DLL issue with Windows and the viruses, malware etc is what drove me to try Linux.  But like you I do  enjoy a system that works and the OS stays pretty much out of the way plus not having to deal with virus' and malware, what a relief.   I do how ever like my freedom of choice and that's what Linux gives me.  If one disto makes a mod that I do not care for, like Ubuntu's unity desktop, I have other distro's to choose from.  Plus most of the window managers are quite customizable so I can set things up the way I want them. 

• Trav1s said thank you

#11 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 09:35 AM

One of the things I like about OSX, is the App Store. All of the approved apps are right there in one spot.

#12 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 07:43 AM

i got my 64 gig thumb drive but haven't downloaded osx86 yet. still thinking if i really want to take the time to try it.

i have been using ubuntu since 5.5 i think it was. im using 12.04 now and when i first tried it i hated unity. i still hate unity and dont use it. there is a way to get rid of unity so life is good.

over the years i have tried many different distros and always come back to ubuntu. 

i always hated using windows ever since i first started using it starting with 3.1

• Amigatec said thank you

#13 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 08:46 AM

I agree I have never liked Windows in any form.

#14 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:13 AM

Although I made a good living programming and fixing windows, I have to agree I really never cared for it and the way M$ does business.

Apple has the app store and Linux (Ubuntu) has the software center.

I started back in 2001 with a variety of distro's(Red Hat, Mandrake,Slack) and finally settled on SuSe.  I used it for quite some time then switched over to Debian derivative  distro's.  One of the neat things I like about Linux is I can check out a distro without ever installing it with a Live CD / DVD.  It also serves as a great tool when you have to repair a windows machine and need to access the hard drive but don't want to boot into windows.  I have saved many a family photo's for folks by popping a CD in and booting of it and retrieving their photo when they thought they were gone because of a virus or malware.

#15 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:22 AM

I started with a Commodore 64 then a C128, Amiga 500, Amiga 4000. After Commodore went belly up, I went kicking and screaming to Windows, at Win2000, I had enough of it. I download the free version of Mandrake popped it in the drive and NEVER looked back. I finally bought an used iMac G5, it lasted about a year, (it was already several years old then), I bought another iMac, this time an Intel Core Duo model, and then this year I bought a new Mac Mini i5. My Intel iMac is an early 2006 model an still running, I use it to run the cameras in the house.

When you start working WITH your computer instead of working ON your computer, you will understand what makes a Mac a Mac.