15 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Guys I bought this GT a few days ago http://gardentractor...t-a-1250-today/

Its a 1978 Cub Cadet 1250. The PO told me it ran very well a couple of weeks ago. He tried to start it recently but couldn't get it to start. His mechanic told him by phone could be a burnt valve. The day I picked it up he showed me a linkage he saw loose & tried to put the governer arm back on the shaft & it slid inside the motor. Is this possible? I looked inside the hole & I can see what looks like the end of the shaft. What looks like the end of the shaft is sitting inside a sleeve about a 1/4" deep. I slid this magnet back in side the hole but the area in front of the sleeve is smaller than the magnet. I was hoping I could make contact with the magnet & pull it back out. One good thing the PO said he hasn't cranked it since he pushed the rod inside. I asked him if it made any strange noises or banging before he shut it off & he said no it was running just fine. I'm not sure if this rod could be pulled out....my thoughts are to break the engine down & make if there is any internal damage or problems. I met him once to look at it & went back the next day to pick it up. We had very good conversation both days & he seemed very honest. He never once seemed like he wanted me to pick it up & leave. Any thoughts or advice. Thanks for looking.

Governer shaft.jpg Governer shaft2.jpg

#2 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 11:53 PM

since i cant paste hyperlinks for some reason go to the manual section and search for kholer single cylinder service manual and the governor starts on page 6.26 in the manual and page 53 on the pdf file if that helps any

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 12:00 AM

from this picture i am going to guess the the part 26 broke and went into the governor cover 

the other pic is of the shaft that i think broke

Attached Thumbnails

• 00051898-00015.png
  • govshaft.gif

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 12:32 AM

from this picture i am going to guess the the part 26 broke and went into the governor cover 
the other pic is of the shaft that i think broke

Thanks so much for this info. I checked out the drawings you mentioned & it looks like I have a big but important job ahead of me. I'm just hoping there are no internal damage because of a piece of the cross shaft bouncing around inside. He assured me the engine ran well the last time he used it. I'm thinking he broke this off himself not knowing what he had done. I think this will be a winter project since I have my MF12 totally dismantled right now. I just had to have this Cub because of the price & the condition it is in. Thanks again nbent for responding so sufficient & quickly.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 05:35 AM

It sounds like the tractor is worth the time to disassemble the engine and fix this issue. You will also be able to give the engine a good once over and inspect/ repair anything that looks worn. Since it's in such good shape overall making an investment in the engine should give you some piece of mind and a tractor that will last for many years. 

• Sawdust said thank you

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,679 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 07:02 AM

Maybe while it is apart, you could hone and rering it. Also, lap the valves. After checking the clearances, of course!

• Sawdust said thank you

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 11:08 PM

I agree guys thanks for all the info.

#8 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,954 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 08:32 AM

I got a buddy up in Eaton that is a kohler wiz, let me know if ya need any help when ya get to that stage.

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 10:05 AM

I got a buddy up in Eaton that is a kohler wiz, let me know if ya need any help when ya get to that stage.

Thanks Tahoe I have a friend that pastors a church up in Eaton. I probably won't do anything to it yet. I have my MF12 restore going on & I'm having shoulder replacement surgery coming up early August.I like your location name :)
  • TAHOE said thank you

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 10:28 AM

I have a buddy who had a shoulder replacement.  It took him a long time to recover from it and as I remember has some limitations as well.  Good luck on yours.

• Sawdust said thank you

#11 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,954 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 12:40 PM

Thanks Tahoe I have a friend that pastors a church up in Eaton. I probably won't do anything to it yet. I have my MF12 restore going on & I'm having shoulder replacement surgery coming up early August.I like your location name :)

Well, just let me know. He would probably be willing to look it over if you get in a bind. He builds these things for tractor pulling so after he got done, you might not get a "12Hp" back :rocker2:  :thumbs:

Location.....well, just speakin' the truth  haha

• LilysDad and Sawdust have said thanks

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 08:55 PM

I have a buddy who had a shoulder replacement.  It took him a long time to recover from it and as I remember has some limitations as well.  Good luck on yours.

Thanks Bill, I actually had my right shoulder replaced about two years ago. The surgery went very well but the therapy was brutal. I wasn't able to do very much for about four months...it was about six before I could say I was back. I'm around 85% with a slight reaching over my head limitation but all this with no pain I'm blessed & happy with it.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Well, just let me know. He would probably be willing to look it over if you get in a bind. He builds these things for tractor pulling so after he got done, you might not get a "12Hp" back :rocker2:  :thumbs:

Location.....well, just speakin' the truth  haha

I could always use a little more power maybe a 1250 with a 1650 under the hood!

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,679 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 07:35 AM

How did you mess up two shoulders? I just want to be sure I don't do what you did. :D

• Sawdust said thank you

#15 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 10:56 AM

How did you mess up two shoulders? I just want to be sure I don't do what you did. :D

I have been a self employed trim carpenter since 1983 to date. Before that I was a hard candy maker for the Kroger Co.for ten years. Every day we would dump 120-160 100LB bags of sugar in 4000 gal. tanks. It wasn't hard but the constant short strokes from pallet to tank over ten years did me in shoulder wise. The Doc said I had severe arthritis...bone on bone. Most people that worked there have arthritis or bad backs. Thankfully the more modern days are better. I guess the term ergonomically safe is more important than we think.

Edited by Sawdust, July 04, 2013 - 10:57 AM.