• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rockcrusher OFFLINE  

Rockcrusher
  • Member No: 39460
  • 5 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 05:35 PM

Hi, I'm totally new to lawn tractors. I have a half acre lot with some hills to mow. In the fall, I'd like to mulch and/or collect leaves with a bagger. I want a small, quality tractor that will last. I was looking at the John Deere D105 as I'd like to spend under $2000.00 The few folks I've talked to have put down all the smaller Deeres (and most other brands like Cub Cadet for that matter) as not "true" John Deeres because they can be purchased at Home Depot etc. The problem is, I don't need nor have the room for a larger tractor. Are the D105s acceptable? Its not a lot of mowing (but a fair amount of leaves in the fall) and I don't intend on abusing the mower. Craftsman has a $1000.00 mower that's tempting but I want something I can get parts for and will last a good long time with good care and maintenance. Thanks.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 05:42 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, :wave:  glad you have joined us here! :thumbs:

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 05:54 PM

Welcome Rockcrusher.  The best tractor for you is the one that will do the job and is in your budget.  I have 2 Craftsman, one I purchased new in 2001 and it is still going strong with the orginial battery, tires and belts and yes I use mainly as my bush hog.  I did have to rebuild the carburetor about 3 years ago but that was my fault for leaving it sit.  The smaller JD are built by JD but I think some of the problem is these box stores don't put them together very well and the tend t contract out the job to the lowest bider who may not have any or very little experience.  If you are handy with a wrench then I would recommend if you do buy one from a box store when you get home the first thing to do is take that manual read over it and then go back through the tractor and make sure everything has been lubricated and put together correctly.  If your not handy with a wrench then maybe a friend could do it for ya.

I do small engine repair so I work on a variety of tractors and I have found it is much easier to get Craftsman parts then JD parts.  A lot of time you have to go back to JD to get the part where I can go down to the local supplier and get parts for a Craftsman.

The Key to is good care and regular maintenance and don't leave it out for the elements to get it.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 07:13 PM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and check out the site. If you are handy, we have many manuals for GTs that you can download. If you are handy and not in a hurry you could pickup an old tractor, repair it and use it. I get free tractors from Craigslist and Freecycle occasionally. There are nice older tractors out there but they are a risk of hidden problems. For easy and a fast resolution of this dilema follow Bill's advice above. To possibly save money try fixing an old tractor. Good Luck, Rick

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 07:23 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. If going JD I'd go to a JD dealer and not HD or Lowes. At the dealer you can get advice on what model best suits your needs. The salesmen there know what the differences are in the different models and can match the correct model to your needs. A lightly used better quality tractor like something from the X300 series may be a better choice than the D series if you can find one within your budget. 

The Craftsman tractors offer good value and they have always serviced what they sell. 

#6 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 07:24 PM

untitled welcome.png

I think the D105 would serve you just fine. I recommend purchasing through a John Deere Dealer however. The price will be the same but the JD Dealer should be more knowledge. I currently have a X320, as I mow 3 acres, and love it. I have found that these mowers still have good value after a few years if you want to trade up at some point.

#7 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Agreed with everything just about. A D105 would be fine, but I would still opt for something larger, say a X300 or a used model. Always go through the dealer when buying new. The local Lowes and HD and TSC's here have the Deere dealer put the little tractors together for them, but are made in Tennessee.

#8 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,997 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 11:55 PM

Welcome rockcrusher :wave:

Sadly, there's no formula for purchasing the right tractor. And sometimes you have to pay twice if you buy cheaply, because quality needs a fair price.

#9 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 04:44 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 06:21 AM

Welcome to GTTalk keep us posted on your tractor choice

#11 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 07:06 AM

There's a lot of mis-information regarding the "Box Store Deere" mowers..

First, they are the exact same mowers as the ones sold at the Deere dealers.

Second, Deere, unlike the others require all of their tractors to be asembled and prepped at a Deere dealer, which is a good thing.

I'm not a Deere fan, but I hate to see them 'falsly accused'  :D :D :D

If a D105 Deere would do what you want it to do, then I'd highly recommend the dealer only Cub Cadet LTX 1042 KW instead.

It has a Kawasiki engine vs. the Briggs in the Deere, a heavier frame, a heavier deck, and a longer warranty that the D105.

When MTD decided that they needed to compete with Deere in the lower end market, the Cub Cadet was their weapon of choice, and with the dealer only tractors they succeded.

I'd suggest that if you have a Cub Cadet dealer near by, that you compare th LTX 1042 KW against the D105. 

• boyscout862 and dropped82 have said thanks

#12 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 10:01 AM

If your going for the smaller Deere's I would recommend sticking with a gear drive. The hydro's had some problems with burning up. I had a Deere Lt for a little while. It did great. Although one problem I had was the deck mounts. The tabs on the deck started tearing away from the deck and I had to reweld them. It could be my fault though. My yard is not the smoothest thing and uneven in spots. Also the paint and so called powder coating started coming off. I used it year round for light snow also. The road salt would end up on my driveway so I'm sure the Deere got salt under it. Which in turn rusted. Although can't say the same for the deck. It seemed to chip where the metal was tearing. Now this was after 6 years of mowing about 1.25 acres and plowing a 200 ft. drive. So I would say it did good. The engines were great on those and sipped fuel. Welcome to GT talk! There is mounds of knowledge here. For what your going to spend you could get a small GT to suit your needs for less and will last much longer. I went from a '06 Deere to a '87 then to a '83 Case and have cut my mowing time down considerably. Something to think about.

Eric

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

#13 Rockcrusher OFFLINE  

Rockcrusher
  • Member No: 39460
  • 5 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 04:57 PM

After doing more research, Gear drives seem to be more long lasting and reliable. It looks like the smallest Cub Cadets and JDs all now come with hydros. So far, I see only the Craftsmans come with gear drives. I've had good luck with Craftsman push mowers but who knows how long Sears will be around and I worry about parts availability down the road.

#14 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 08:22 PM

i have a used older ('96) deere gt 275 17hp Kawasaki and a 48" deck it does all i need and more its been just be advised that sometimes newer is not always the answer

#15 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 08:54 PM

My newest piece of equipment is a 1983. I have no problems for parts and it'll break me before I break it lol. As for sears, they are not going anywhere. With the numbers they sell you will always have parts. Also sears doesn't actually make them. I believe its AYP (American Yard Products). Who also makes other brands. When it comes to newer lawn and garden tractors, they share a bunch of common parts.

Eric

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2