Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Briggs Enging Lighting/charging Circuits?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 10:22 AM

Have a speedex with big 16hp briggs on it. Wanna figure out how to use the wiring for lights and maybe charging batt.  By the shroud, near starter is a single wire that has that odd connector on it sticking out. Next to it is cap that says fuse. I have opened the cap and seems no room for a long glass fuse there. The wire end is up to the cap. The cap has a spring action feel when I put it on. What should go in there?  I hear some speak of Diodes used on some engines, but have not seen such items in past. Wondering if this is diode holder? and not really a fuse holder? IF the single wire coming out is hot, where does it go to?  My 990 mtd shows a white wire going right to the ignition switch to run lights.  Wouldn't that mean they would only work with engine running then and maybe flicker or dim with diff rpm's?   OR, is there a way to go to a regulator somehow and charge batt with it and run lights off switch from batt source?  On Kohler engines they have two AC wires to regulator and one off middle of the power. This Briggs shows only one wire, and not sure if AC or DC, am assuming DC then. I don't have spec #'s on this engine that I can find for wiring diagram.  Not sure my tractor info has diagram in it either, will have to look. Briggs manual shows many systems on engine, but not sure what one I have and am confused.

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 01:05 AM

Update:  Ran light off the white wire coming from engine today. I know have that hooked up to a switch on dash for later use. That fuse holder has a diode in it I think. Makes the juice DC for charging the battery, no regulator needed for it. I DO need to find a diff cap or make up a wire with button end to put in the cap and come out the hole in center. Found this info in old BS book I have, was all right there. Thanks for helping me out G.L.   (again)    ha! ha!

#3 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 04:44 PM

I was going to say something last night. But with no motor numbers hard to figure out. Closest thing I cam up with a stator with fuse holder arrangement as follows. Starts off with rectifier then fuse then spring diode followed by a wired cap.  I have this same tractor

See if this is what you have.

Edited by gopher, June 30, 2013 - 05:03 PM.