• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trackcar OFFLINE  

trackcar
  • Member No: 15296
  • 26 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 08:04 PM

I have a Sears GT 18HP with just a mower deck. I was working on getting it ready to go to the mountains and mow our property when I thought I should lube the deck. It is a model 917.255914 tractor. After dropping the deck and taking off the mandrel cover I discovered the wasn't on obvious place to pump grease. Are these "factory" lubed? I can't imagine it wouldn't need done at some point.         trackcar

• JRJ said thank you

#2 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 08:21 PM

on my Sears deck the grease fittings are on the bottom side. flop it over and the are there

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 08:56 PM

I looked at the entire owners manual and what they have listed for replacement mandrels. Nowhere in the manual does it show a grease fitting on the deck.

We had a GT18 at one point and I do not remember if it had fittings or not, but I would say by then the mandrels were to be replaced as a unit, not repaired.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Oh, and BTW, if you don't have the manual it is here : http://www.managemyl...NM/L0709203.pdf

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,698 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 09:36 PM

It depends on the type of bearing the spindle has.  If they have sealed bearings then no grease is required.  Most of the Craftsman I have worked on do not require greasing.

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:39 PM

I have a Sears GT 18HP with just a mower deck. I was working on getting it ready to go to the mountains and mow our property when I thought I should lube the deck. It is a model 917.255914 tractor. After dropping the deck and taking off the mandrel cover I discovered the wasn't on obvious place to pump grease. Are these "factory" lubed? I can't imagine it wouldn't need done at some point.         trackcar

My 2 Sears decks have a gease zerk on the spindle housing on the underside of the mower deck.  it juts out at right angles to the housing and is about 1" above the blade.

There is a lot of difference between a Sears deck like those used on the SS & GT series, and the newer Craftsman decks.  The PO may have put sealed bearings in the deck, OR the zerks may have been knocked off...

HTH

Smitty

• HDWildBill said thank you