Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 09:33 AM

I've been going through my newly acquired JD420, trying to remove some of the "warts".

It didn't have any headlights in it or the plastic lens, and the bezels on the headlights were cracked.  I thought this was a separate piece from the hood, but apparently it isn't.

I'd like to repair the cracks, as a new hood hovers in the $200 range.

What do you recommend to do the repair?  Can I lay a fiberglass or plastic mat in it and JB weld, or fiberglass resin, or should I try to get the plastic welded at a body shop?

Thanks for your recommendations.

Utah Smitty

• JRJ said thank you

#2 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,154 Thanks
  • 1,156 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 10:04 AM

Here is a topic that was discussed about this

http://gardentractor...-hood-cracking/

• Utah Smitty and Arti have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 10:32 AM

Smitty, I have 2 similar hoods from a 314 and 317. The 314 was repaired before I got it and it had a hole punched in the front slanted section of the hood. It was repaired with a FG patch on the under side and resin by the looks of it. I have some work to do on the 317 hood but nothing as big as that repair. You can also use the long hair FG made by Bondo to strengthen areas like that. I used it to repair the front nose piece on an MF8 and it worked really well.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#4 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 01:07 PM

I used the FG method with the mesh...its easy to work with. I busted the corner of my snow mobile hood ( riding double & wife didn't lean the right way & a small tree hit us )it worked great. Before you repair a crack drill a hole at each end of the crack larger than the crack. This will eliminate the crack from traveling. Let us know how you do. I'm sure if you searched on Youtube you would find some video's of FG repairs. These FG kits come in small sizes at most auto parts stores.

Edited by Sawdust, June 28, 2013 - 01:09 PM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 01:54 PM

I used the FG method with the mesh...its easy to work with. I busted the corner of my snow mobile hood ( riding double & wife didn't lean the right way & a small tree hit us )it worked great. Before you repair a crack drill a hole at each end of the crack larger than the crack. This will eliminate the crack from traveling. Let us know how you do. I'm sure if you searched on Youtube you would find some video's of FG repairs. These FG kits come in small sizes at most auto parts stores.

Thanks, Brian and Sawdust... I clicked on the "Thanks" button, but got a message it couldn't store the reputation vote...

I'll try the FG route... I know about drilling holes in the ends of the cracks from my experience welding cracked sheet metal.

Regards,

Smitty

• Sawdust said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jd420, hood, plastic repair, jd 420 hood