TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,954 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 08:53 AM

So I will try to make long story short.

My grandma stepped on lose board on a bridge while pregnant with my Uncle Sherman(dad's older brother) which fipped up and hit her in stomach. My uncle was then born with a malformed left arm and epileptic seizures. Well, a few years later, grandma died after childbirth, my dad was only couple yrs old and one of older sister took care of Sherm. Grandpa got re-married to the wicked step mother who did not want Sherm around her children so she had him sent away to a mental institution in Gallopolis Ohio where he stayed from about 6 yrs old to early 40's when family finally found him as it was kept secret for all those years. So Sherm never got above a 6-7 yr old mentality, he actually become "retarded" due to lack of education, training etc even though I beleive he would've be a smart person. He actually made a foot locker when he got older as they had a wood shop that the "smarter" residents would work in, it was beautiful.

That's how they did things back in the 30's I guess.

So fast forward to mid 80's, a new home was built in our town for handicapped people, my cousin was able to get uncle Sherm to be the first resident. When they began filming the movie Rain Man, they needed extras for the beginning when Tom Cruise picks up Raymond at the home, "Wallas house" I think, which was filmed in Cincinnati, my uncle got chosen as an extra. If you watch the movie, when Tom Cruise and his girlfriend walks into the house at the beginning, they walk down a long hall and a man comes around corner and they walk past them. He has a bumb left arm and walks with a shuffle, that's my Uncle Sherman!

It just happened to be on last night and I just turned it on as they got to the home. I have a famous uncle  :smilewink:  :D

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 12 others have said thanks

#2 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,995 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 09:38 AM

It's a hard, sad story, Hope for a happy end for your uncle Sherman and give him my best regards!

• tinbender7 and TAHOE have said thanks

#3 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,954 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 09:57 AM

Thanks,.... I will someday, he passed maybe 10 yrs ago. He lived a good life once he got back to our town and my cousin really took care of him, he even got a job at a local place that employs the handicapped, he counted/sorted/packaged nuts/ bolts.

My father just passed away in Dec, dad was the baby of 11 children so all my aunts/uncle are now gone on my dad's side.

• hamman, tinbender7, jpackard56 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 10:29 AM

Cool story,thanks for sharing.

• tinbender7 said thank you