Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Vote Now For Featured Tractor Of The Month Of July 2013!

featured tractor voting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote now for Featured Tractor for July 2013! (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote now for Featured Tractor for July 2013

1. John Deere GT 275 - backwoods (2 votes [2.90%])

Percentage of vote: 2.90%

2. Craftsman 917.254450 - larrybl (5 votes [7.25%])

Percentage of vote: 7.25%

3. Massey MF12H - HowardsMF155 (6 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

4. Sears 16/6 - TAHOE (3 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

5. Bolens 1556 - Oregon_Bolens (4 votes [5.80%])

Percentage of vote: 5.80%

6. National Triplex - farmerall (5 votes [7.25%])

Percentage of vote: 7.25%

7. Simplicity 3414S - skunkhome (44 votes [63.77%])

Percentage of vote: 63.77%

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 08:24 PM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of October 2012 has now officially started and will end the last day of September. This month's theme is "Lawn Motoring", basically your tractor in it's mowing attire.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of October and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. Our featured tractor winners are also printed in the Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine so if you are not a subscriber you are missing out.

We have 7 nominations this month. Good Luck.

• John Deere GT 275 - backwoods
  • Craftsman 917.254450 - larrybl
  • Massey MF12H - HowardsMF155
  • Sears 16/6 - TAHOE
  • Bolens 1556 - Oregon_Bolens
  • National Triplex - farmerall
  • Simplicity 3414S - skunkhome

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

• iron Mike, Newpaws493, Huskyfan and 1 other said thanks

#2 backwoods OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8613
  • 2,049 Thanks
  • 2,429 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 01:20 PM

I would like to nominate my 1996 John Deere GT 275. I picked up from a friend of mine who bought it Brand new from a local dealer in '96 its only purpose when he owned was lawn dutythe whole time he owned it he put 524.6 hrs on it. Fast forward to Jan of this spring and i took ownership of it, the plastic was broke a couple pieces were missing one flat tire an the rest were real soft. So into the garage it went for a few months to get some well needed love. Over the course of winter i pulled the deck off to clean it an discovered that it probably had not been cleaned in a long time so i spent a couple days cleaning the deck greasing the pulleys. Next i turned my attention to the what should have been yellow seat that turned grey, two days later it looked new again.The faded paint was next so i washed off the dirt and grime got the buffer out and to my surprise the shine came right back.

Over the spring semester in collage i worked on the hood making pieces for the missing one on the hood and the grill fixing all the cracks. (his ex-wife hit anything in her way while mowing) Buffed the hood and other then needing to be painted now its all in one piece again. Ive also picked up a 42" snowblower for it for this coming winter. The main use for this machine is lawn care my weekly mowing session (20min ) which is a breeze with a 48"deck, hauling weeds from the flower beds to out back.However once a month or so a friend  comes down to my house with the truck and we load it up and i get to mow his 1 acre lawn i love seat time with this tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0604132007.jpg
  • 266.jpg
  • 296.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#3 larrybl OFFLINE  

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,795 Thanks
  • 3,250 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 09:47 PM

I would like to nominate RED, my 1990 Craftsman Model 917.254450.

Red was purchased on 9/11/09 for $100.00 and has gone through several refreshes over the last couple years.

I had an identical mower back in 2009 that we my grandson and I swapped the better parts to Red, and sold the donor.  The best part is my Grandson has clamed Red as his, and just this year he was able to mow a substantial part of the yard.

I used Red from 2009 to 2012 for main mowing duties, I noticed the steering was getting sloppy and I had a good oil leak, so I decided to do a refresh last winter. (Reds Winter Refresh)  During the refresh I experimented with LED headlamps (still working) and replaced all the engine gaskets and oil slinger. I also replaced all the steering bushings, and those that were nylon got replaced with brass. Refreshed the paint, rebuilt the deck to better than new.

Red is still the main mower for 3 acres and is doing great. Logan really enjoyed his first mow, and I now leave a clear spot in the middle of the yard for him to finish up.

The best thing about Red is not how well it runs, or how well it mows, but the time me and Logan spend on him.

Red is not the biggest, or the strongest, but for quality time, Red is #1 in my book.

Thanks for viewing. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Purchased.jpg
  • Logan Deck Clean.JPG
  • Logan SVC.JPG
  • Logan worh 1.jpg
  • Logan work 2.jpg
  • Logan wrench.jpg
  • P1080549.JPG
  • P1080550.JPG
  • P1080576.JPG
  • P1080582.JPG

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 6 others have said thanks

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,689 Thanks
  • 2,911 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 06:12 PM

I'm nominating my Massey 12 Hydro (serial 502904) manufactured in 1968 as my  lawnmower of the month!  

I was working out of town about 2 years ago and hauled some debris off to the local dump for my employer.  While there, I spotted this forlorn Massey off to one side, and noticed it had the hydro handle rather than a gear shift selector.  After speaking with the owner/operator, who said he liked to keep old garden tractors off to one side so that people like me had a chance to recycle them. The tires were all flat, I could tell that the engine was not original, and had no idea if the hydro was any good.  Further, there was no deck, nor any attachments with the tractor.  However, the sheet metal was all straight and present, so I decided to take the plunge and paid his asking price and we loaded the tractor on my now empty trailer.  

After I got it home, I decided the first step needed to be the engine.  The existing engine was missing the air cleaner, the carb was not original, and investigation showed that the spark module wasn't working and there was no apparent compression.  I decided to swap in an older Tecumseh engine which a neighbor gave me to see what did and didn't work.   Once the motor was installed, I started testing the hydro, which didn't want to work correctly.  It turned out the hydro was low on oil because there was a bad oil leak at the fwd/rvs control shaft.  New O-rings and the proper level of oil in the transmission and suddenly the old tractor had legs!

The investigation continued and the inventory of things needing repair grew.  The gas tank was missing, the seat was destroyed, the speed control lever was worn out and needed rebuilding, the front axle needed new bushings, the front wheels needed new bearings, the front tires needed tubing due to leaks, and the rear tires needed to be replaced altogether.   More recently I found that the mule drive was not correctly aligned and it was wearing out belts prematurely.  With all the engine and related support issues, I decided to install one of the Chinese Honda clones and take my chances on getting the  hood back on.  Over the winter of 2011-12 I slowly put things right, rebuilding the front axle, replacing wheel bearings, installing new tubes in the front tires and buying new tires for the rear.  I had obtained a mowing deck and  installed it by the time summer arrived and began using the tractor to cut my grass.   I used this tractor off and on through the summer, looking for things to go wrong.  By swapping the mowing deck back and forth, I noticed the Chinese clone was more powerful and used less gas than the original Tecumseh, so between the engine and the easy control offered by the hydro, I decided to make this my main mowing tractor.  This is how it looked during the summer of 2012:

MF12 with deck.jpg

In the spring of 2013 I felt it was time  to continue to smooth off the rough edges of this tractor.  The first obstacle was the muffler.  Some fabrication work produced an exhaust flange with 3/4 inch pipe and the ability to route the exhaust into a stack muffler.

However, the motor was still too wide to fit properly inside the front grill.  I found that by grinding a 'V' shape at the top of the grill, it enabled me to spread the grill out by about 1/2 inch to either side, producing just enough room to mount the grill over the motor.  The 'V' isn't noticeable, and neither is the fact that the grill is flared out from its original  mounting location.

GE 016.JPG

GE 015.JPG

GE 017.JPG

I hope one day to strip this tractor back down, clean it up and paint it to a factory fresh finish, but for now I'll settle for keeping the rust at bay and enjoy driving this great machine.

Edited by HowardsMF155, June 09, 2013 - 09:57 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 7 others have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 4,890 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 12:03 PM

Guess I will come out of the closet and throw my 1977 Sears 16/6 single in the ring.
After inheriting my 68 SS12, I began looking for a tractor I could work with while restoring the 12. Found a guy about 45mins- hour away had the 16. Said it quit running after they had been using regularly to cut 4 acres of grass. When I got there, he said it was getting harder to start until it finally quit running, it was his brother's tractor, he didn't want it back and current guy didn't have time to mess with it. Thankfully, I had been reading about some problems with the OH motors, kind of knew what maybe wrong, so for $150 I loaded her up and drug it home, also came with upper 3 pt mount.
Got it home, after a good washing, charged battery, spun it over....turned over well, had spark but wouldn't start. Borrowed a compression tester from a buddy...nothing which was my original suspicion.
Started pulling the top end apart, just as I thought, exhaust valve dropped out of head, but bad for me, it beat the head apart....ebay here I come. Found a used head for $100, threw it back together and back in business. Needed new battery, carb rebuild, general maintenance, but ran pretty well and cut some grass. Used it well for grass duty, plowed/disc garden, then built a custom mule drive winch mount and snow blade along with a dump bucket and added Deestone ags. Was my go to tractor for all duties.
Then forward to Summer of '12, I start getting intermittent stalling. Let it sit for 5-10 mins, fire it back up and back to work. This happened 3-4 times until finally nothing.....Oh no the dreaded SSI module failure. No prob, had a spare from my other ST16. DOH, that one last a month too. So now what? Do I buy a used evilbay one, do the Dale- Overnight solutions fix, Ed Stoller's conversion? Buddy of mine Jon from MTF told me he had new ignition in works, he ended up using a trigger pickup used on the Kohler pulling tractors with a magnet mounted in flywheel. Swapped his parts on my tractor to use as test mule, I cut the waist high field for 2 hours straight, she never missed a lick. I was convinced, bought all my own parts and she runs better than ever up to this day. Mine was the first official Sears with a Tecumseh OH160 using this system, another guy on MTF has just did the same. So, One more option for the SSI failure problem.
I'm still looking for a new regulator to handle my battery ignition and the winch as I've went through 3 regs as of now, running a GM alternator to keep battery charged and tractor running. So she is still my go to tractor, snow plow, dump bucket, plowing gardens, mowing, and the SS12 is on a rack in the barn..maybe someday!

Bring home day

What a difference with just a bath

The custom ignition pickup and coil

Garden work trim

And most importantly.....mowing duty. Funny, my son gets all the mowing seat time

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 6 others have said thanks

#6 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 30153
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 03:12 PM

Here's my nomination for my 1972 Bolens Husky 1556  Hydrostatic Garden Tractor. Got this from an old farmer who took very good care of this tractor. I only paid $125 for everything, and was very happy with the price. It took very little to get this back up and running and I can't wait for the grass to grow just slightly taller to have an excuse to get back on it. Cut's grass better than anything I've ever used, and can't wait to try out the tiller. Will pass this tractor on to one of my boys because it'll still be as good then. Eventually, I'll do a restoration on it, but for now it's not broke, so why fix it?

What's great about this tractor and any old tractor is the engineering and craftsmanship that went into making these awesome machines. At 41 years old, this thing will out perform any new box store tractor, and will put a bigger smile on your face. I look forward to collecting more of them. I have 3 other Bolens that are more on the project side of things, and can't wait to cut grass with those as well. The excuse I give the wife for having multiple tractors is that each person in the family needs one in case everybody is taking part in yard work. The 2 year old and 1 year old I still have time with to get them fixed and running. To happy tractoring! :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG3435.jpg
  • IMAG3453.jpg
  • IMAG3519.jpg
  • IMAG3499.jpg
  • IMAG3583.jpg
  • IMAG3584.jpg
  • IMAG3588.jpg
  • IMAG3589_2_1.jpg

Edited by steveaman23, June 13, 2013 - 05:17 PM.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, MH81 and 5 others have said thanks

#7 farmerall OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,132 Thanks
  • 1,433 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 06:57 PM

Here is my nomination. It is my 196? National Triplex mower. During the summer I have worked at a golf course for the past 4 years. We have a lot of old equipment and other stuff sitting around in storage garages and this was in one of them. One day about 3 years ago I ask my boss if he would want to sell this national. To my surprise he let me have it for free.

The engine is a massive Wisconsin AEN single cylinder which looks like it should be 12 or more hp but it's only about 9hp and has a ton of torque. It has three reel mowers and the total width of cut is about 86 inches. The clutch is a hand clutch which can be tricky to use if your not familiar with it. A few times I have accidentally pulled the front tires of the ground. Also it has two gears, mowing gear which is fast and transport which is really fast. With the large cut and fast speed it can mow my yard very fast. The only problem is that it is so big that it can be tough to turn around in my yard. It's been over a year since I last fired it up mainly because I just don't have time. Hopefully I will be able to get it out soon. It is one of those thing that it fun to show people because most people have never seen or heard of one before.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4057.jpg
  • 100_4056.jpg
  • 100_4080.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81, Littledeere and 2 others have said thanks

#8 skunkhome OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:23 PM

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by MH81, June 28, 2013 - 06:37 AM.

• olcowhand, Craig., drbish and 6 others have said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 04:28 AM

Let the voting begin gang. I have been slacking a little bit and apologize for the late start. Get them votes in while you can.

#10 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,380 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 10:32 AM

... and apologize for the late start...

OK George, we will overlook this fact when the best Deere has won    jo king.jpeg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: featured, tractor, voting