• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Ok so after roaching the series 1 kt17 in my 782 i needed something to mow with quick so i hit the ole cl and found this gem: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372378624.986153.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372378695.443048.jpg

I paid $770 which i think was a little high considering there are others currently for $700 but this one wasnt all that far from home.
It has a series 2 kt17 that starts very nice when cold but cranks a little bit when warm but will do for mowing duty till i get some time to deal with both of them.
I was told that it needed a new deck belt but it did work. So tonight i broke her out and mowed with the 44c as is to see how she did. About half way thru it did melt off the belt as expected. It wasnt really mowing that great anyway as i am sure the blades are in tough shape but didnt want to deal with it right now.
So when the belt broke i just swapped decks and belts with the 782 as they are brand new with brand new blades and a 50" deck too.
I finished mowing with the 50" and i am amazed at how much better it does over the 44" not only does it cover more ground per pass but it does a much better job and im not talking about just having new blades compared to the old 44" ones. It is so much easier to go around trees and such when the deck sticks out farther from the wheels.
So far the only problem i see with this setup is the pto doesnt want to engage very well when warm. When i was finished mowing i turned it off then noticed i needed to hit one more little spot but couldnt get the pto to fully kick in. I could watch the grease zerk just barely turn enough to see it trying to engage but no dice. And there was no belt squeel so it must be the electric clutch.
I will pull the one off of the 782 and swap it over this weekend when i get some time.
  • Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 6,369 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 07:58 PM

Congrats on another great red cub.

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben

Con Man

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,665 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:30 PM

Not a bad steal.  I just sent a 582 out this evening that I had rebuilt with a Briggs opposed in it.  It was a great little tractor. 

Ben W.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 31,350 Thanks
  • 41,564 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:19 PM

Nice looking 682!

#5 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,364 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 04:23 AM

Like the red!           imagesCAIEW38J.jpg OOPS!

#6 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,513 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 12:01 PM

I miss mine already... Throw a grille, a little deck and wheel paint on it and she will look nice! Congrat's.

#7 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 05:12 PM

Im hoping to keep this one for a backup mower. The 782 I think is going to get a diesel and will be the main mowing machine.
I do plan on sandblasting both decks this winter and painting them. Also i have been throwing around the ideal of putting aluminum wheels and 26-12-12's on it too. But i cant find a matching set of front aluminum wheels to throw a set if v61's on.

#8 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 10:57 AM

So i went to swap the pto's today because the one on the running tractor didnt want to engage last time at the end of mowing. Now it engages just fine.
What would make it not want to engage hot but be perfect when cold?
I checked the wires and nothing looks bad. I did find what i am assuming is the relay for it mounted just below the switch and it clicks back and forth nice and brisk so i am at a loss. I guess i will go mow and see what happens when it gets warm.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,593 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 11:07 AM

Could be a bad connection in the clutch itself that only shows up when it's hot. Could also be a bad connection anywhere in the circuit. If the clutch chassis makes the connection for the - side of the circuit that could be flakey and cause the voltage to drop too low for the clutch to engage. Good luck getting it sorted out. 

#10 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 01:06 PM

I just finished mowing with no problems at all. I never shut off the deck so as to not be stranded trying to fix it so i could finish. When i got done i turned the pto off then right back on and nothing...
I pulled the side panel and probed the wire going up to the clutch and it is getting full voltage from the relay.
I tried to disconnect the plug at the clutch but the motor is sooooo hot still that i couldnt yet. Im going to wait for it to cool off a little then go back out and mess with it.
Im going to do an amperage draw test on it and compare it to the other tractor. And go from there. Otherwise i will just swap it for the other one and see how it goes.

#11 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Swapped the pto out for the other one tonight and pressure washed all of the crud off the motor and all over the frame.
The coil itself was all bubbly and cracking so i swapped it for the one in the 782 that didnt look all that much better but ohm'd out better at 3.4 vs the 2.6 that the other one had.
  • twostep said thank you

#12 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,513 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 07:55 AM

You mentioned it running hot, the engine does have the heat shields on it right?

#13 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 12:51 PM

I didnt mean the engine was running hot i just meant that after running for a while it warms up and wouldnt work. I have already pressure washed the motor to clean out the cooling fins and cleaned out the screens in the frame.

Edited by cumminsmannow, July 01, 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#14 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 11:52 AM

On my CC 2206 the electric clutch would not engage when dis-engaged.  Appeared to be OK when cold, but would fail to re-engage once the engine was hot.

With the engine off, I turned on the PTO switch and the used a wooden dowel - with a bit of pressure, the plate would jump the gap and engage.  Had to get my son to sit on the seat otherwise the PTO won't engage.

There's a friction material the clutch plate goes against when dis-engaged.  It has worn out and the plate moves too far for the electro-magnet to pull the plate across the gap.

I'm probably going to have to replace the clutch ($400 at the dealer).  Got it working for now.  The problem looked like a nail - so with a little persuasion, I was able to adjust the gap and now it engages properly.

#15 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 07:23 PM

Yea i noticed the one i took out was pretty loose and i had to use parts from both tractors to get the spacing right so it would be close enough to pull in. The complete setup off the 782 had way too much space and wouldnt have let it pull it in. Also one nice thing i did gain from doing this swap was the 782 pulley was bigger than the 682 one so i put the bigger one on in the hopes of gaining a little more blade speed.

Edited by cumminsmannow, July 11, 2013 - 07:24 PM.