• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • Member No: 11152
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 07:09 PM

when i bought my 1886 it didn't have the cooling fan for the hydro on there. this is either going to be a plow or mowing machine. i will be mowing just over 2 acres and or snow plowing a good bit of real estate and my driveway.

should i be concerned with running without the fan?

• JRJ said thank you

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:01 PM

The mower we have is a 1886-01 and I have never seen a fan on it sence I been alive.

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:25 PM

If it wasn't there originally, the makers of that hydro knew what they were doing.  Modern Hydro Gear motors/pumps have to have a fan to not only cool but to blow grass out from around them.

Ben W.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#4 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:30 PM

If it wasn't there originally, the makers of that hydro knew what they were doing.  Modern Hydro Gear motors/pumps have to have a fan to not only cool but to blow grass out from around them.

Ben W.

These did come with a fan but over time the fans fail or a stick hits them and a fin comes off.

• superaben said thank you

#5 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:02 PM

Any appliance parts store will have the fan, just ask for 5 inch 5 blade GE fan from a fridge or freezer, you will have to enlarge the hole, but that's easy to do, I cut the hole just a tad smaller than it needs to be, then heat up the area that I want to slide it over and walla, usually under 7.00, oh and BTW, make sure you buy the one with the blades going the right way and install it so it blows over the fins. Your other option is a small oil cooler, in that case, just hand over your wallet to the parts store

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:47 PM

Any appliance parts store will have the fan, just ask for 5 inch 5 blade GE fan from a fridge or freezer, you will have to enlarge the hole, but that's easy to do, I cut the hole just a tad smaller than it needs to be, then heat up the area that I want to slide it over and walla, usually under 7.00, oh and BTW, make sure you buy the one with the blades going the right way and install it so it blows over the fins. Your other option is a small oil cooler, in that case, just hand over your wallet to the parts store

As a guy who works in an appliance store, I will tell you that all the new cross references systems are model number dependent.

OGT, if you have a part number or a model number of one htat youve used in the past, that's be a big help... but if a customer walks in and just asks us for a 5" fan... it's not that I dont want to help... it's that I can't.

Kinda like car parts, gotta know what you're driving.

One of the most common failure fans for GE is the Evap Fan.  The blade part number for a lot of them is WR60x114 (shown as 4.5" diam) but there are literally dozens of derivations.

Thanks for the great idea.  (and the reminder about CW vs CCW)

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#7 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:50 PM

As a guy who works in an appliance store, I will tell you that all the new cross references systems are model number dependent.

OGT, if you have a part number or a model number of one htat youve used in the past, that's be a big help... but if a customer walks in and just asks us for a 5" fan... it's not that I dont want to help... it's that I can't.

Kinda like car parts, gotta know what you're driving.

One of the most common failure fans for GE is the Evap Fan.  The blade part number for a lot of them is WR60x114 (shown as 4.5" diam) but there are literally dozens of derivations.

Thanks for the great idea.  (and the reminder about CW vs CCW)

I have a appliance parts store nearby that I took the old broken fan to and they matched it up, if we were able to get dimensions fro Daniel on some of those Massey fans, I think most are the same, cub fans are available for 24.00 but I dont think there the same

#8 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 07:01 PM

i might try and use it without for a bit. but will also keep my eyes open for one. if any of you get the numbers from an appliance store please post it here. 

• OkieGt said thank you

#9 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 07:22 PM

i might try and use it without for a bit. but will also keep my eyes open for one. if any of you get the numbers from an appliance store please post it here.

If I can get someone to get me the measurements and details about the fan, I will stop by the parts store and get the part number and post it. Mike

Edited by MH81, June 28, 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 09:23 PM

I have a appliance parts store nearby that I took the old broken fan to and they matched it up, if we were able to get dimensions fro Daniel on some of those Massey fans, I think most are the same, cub fans are available for 24.00 but I dont think there the same

None of mine ever had fans that I remember...well, they had the center hub portion which I removed....blades were all gone.

• OkieGt said thank you

#11 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 09:29 PM

None of mine ever had fans that I remember...well, they had the center hub portion which I removed....blades were all gone.

Dan, most of mine had fans,my early 1972 MF14 had a metal fan, with a metal ring around it for protection. They went to plastic in 73 or 74, the fan bore is different on the 1450/1650 than it is on the MF14/16, it's easy to fab either one on the shaft. I think that even if the Sundstrands don't have fins it might be nice to have air blowing on it, especially if your working it long and hard or if it's hot.  I also have two 1450s that have Sundstrands instead of Eatons and  a friend has a 1655 that has a Sundstrand as well, so I guess the first year 1977 Hydros were left over Sundstrands and then went to Eatons in 1978. The Bolens he is talking about is a Eaton, right.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 09:33 PM

The Bolens he is talking about is a Eaton, right.

Yes, I believe it is.

#13 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 06:06 AM

yes an eaton 12

#14 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 06:13 AM

my parts 1886 tractor has a fan on there but is missing two blades. been trying to get the driveshaft off but it is stuck on there. i go out there and soak it with pb blaster but there is no good way to get it off there. the driveshaft is a two piece unit which i don't understand why all of them were not that way as it makes it easier to remove the shaft instead of unbolting the engine or transaxle. 

what measurements are you in need of? the i.d. of the hub? o.d. of the blades?

#15 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 07:52 AM

I run mine without a fan, I put on a new one, and the blades broke off, so, I just run it that way.