Garden Tractor Forums banner

I Have A 12Hp Kohler If I Rebuild It To .30 Over Will Anything Break

995 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  searspullingtractor 
#1 ·
If i put alot of money in the engine will the old rod break

#4 ·
If you are going that far, I'd put a new rod in it.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
So the piston is .030" oversize.. The old rod will work as long as the rod-to-crank clearance is OK and isn't out of tolerance.. Get some plasti-gauge to check.. If the crank is machined down the rod is smaller (ie- .030" under)

#9 ·
If you are spending the money on a new piston, new rings, and the boring as well as all the other things you should do to make sure the engine's last leg of life is good, don't skimp by forgetting to replace the rod. It shouldn't be that expensive, and you will have peace of mind.

Ben W.

#10 ·
Any cast iron Kohler is worth it. Do you have to go.030 over? Measure it first . Going .030 over is not going to gain HP. Besides, kits on Ebay are around $90 and includes the rod for .010 or .20 over. .030 over adds another $20. Measure first, bore and crank and go from there.

#12 ·
Head work,porting, 3 angle valve job, and flowing the carb better is what can be done to these great engines. Visit Brian Millers page if you haven't done so yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.