• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 06:30 PM

They say that todays unleaded gas with a percentage of ethanol reeks havoc on power equipment, be it 2 cycle or 4 cycle. I was told that premium unleaded has no ethanol.....

What do you guys use in your equipment?.....mowers, trimmers, chainsaws, garden tractors

• hamman said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 06:38 PM

I use premium and treat it with a stabilizer, either JD or Opti when I can get it. Up here the pumps are labelled at some stations with the "May Contain Up To 10% Ethanol" label for low and mid grades but no label for Premium. I'm not sure if premium is ethanol free! 

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 07:13 PM

They say that todays unleaded gas with a percentage of ethanol reeks havoc on power equipment, be it 2 cycle or 4 cycle. I was told that premium unleaded has no ethanol.....

What do you guys use in your equipment?.....mowers, trimmers, chainsaws, garden tractors

I bought some premium today at the local Pioneer station. They get fuel from various refineries. I just went to the Pioneer website and it said their premium may contain ethanol.....It also said that Shell and Esso do not put ethanol in their premium, who they also buy from. So, I guess its a crap shoot if you buy from an independant who buys from different suppliers....Guess I will be buying Shell or Esso premium

#4 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 07:14 PM

I use non oxygenated premium (no ethanol) in all my gas fired small engines and add Seafoam. Anything not used regularly gets drained and new fuel in the fall before freeze up. Once fresh fuel is in the engine is started and run to pull fresh gas thru the carb. The drained fuel gets burned in the pickup so nothing is wasted. I have non oxygenated available within 15 miles east or west so no trick to get. Now when I get the new diesel the procedure may be a little different for that.

KURTEE

#5 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 07:49 PM

For the power tools, weed trimmers, chainsaws, and such I sometimes use a Stihl bottled fuel but it is expensive otherwise it's regular gas mixed with the oil.

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 08:09 PM

I buy ethanol free and make sure it is used up within a two weeks.  If I don't use it up by then, it goes into my truck and I refill the cans.

Ben W.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#7 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Stihl KombiMotor 110, Stihl 026P saw and Ryobi combo handle get Stihl "Silver Bottle" premium oil with 93 octane gas that has alcohol in it.  It's the only way it comes here...  Even though the Stihl oil contains stabilizer I still use Stabil in gas for my 2 strokes, but less of it.

4 stroke stuff, JD GX335/20hp Kawi, Snapper 21" walker, Generac 7500W generator all get 87 octane regular with full Stabil treatment.  As most do, I rotate my 4 5gal. cans and the generator tank as often as needed through the car.

My JD 1026r TLB gets road diesel + JD Winter Fuel Conditioner adjusted for the seasonal temperatures. (Just thought I'd toss that out there!:D)

#8 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:17 PM

I guess I've been lucky for a lot of yrs. I use reg gas w/ up to 10% ethanol in everything, don't add any stabil, seafoam, etc. Empty the gas tanks when winter comes and run them 'til they die. I guess if anything was to give me problems it would be the Stihl 011 saw as it can sit unused for 3 to 4 mos w/ gas in it and it always starts easy and runs good.

Mike

#9 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,297 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 04:24 AM

I try to run Non Ethanol fuel in everything I own Unless I'm going to use it up fast.Letting 10%+ ethanol mixed gas sit in a tank or Carborator and fuel lines is asking for trouble.

It will eat the tip off of rubber tipped Float needles,dry rot fuel lines and cause serious problems with anything with a Diaphram such as vacume fuel pumps and small 2 stroke engine carbs.

They Just started to sell Ethanol safe float needles for ohv briggs engines.They're $14 for a darn little special made rubber compound tipped float needle.lol

Replaces (OEM): BRIGGS & STRATTON 231855
BRIGGS & STRATTON 231855S
Fits Models: BRIGGS & STRATTON 286702, 286707, 289707, 28B702, 28B707, 28M707, 28N707, 28N777 and 28P777; for 10, 10.5, 11.5, 12.5, 13, 14 and 15 HP vertical engines Specs:
  • Viton-tipped style
  • Not compatible with greater than 10% ethanol fuel

Check that out.It's an OEM Float needle for an OHV Briggs Intek engine.

Last time they tested the Fuel at our local mom and pop gas station it was 14% ethanol.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:16 AM

Since 10% Ethanol has pretty much been the only thing available in Iowa since the 70's.I just burn it and don't even think about it.

I think there is only one station in town that sells non ethanol fuel. 

I have experienced very few fuel related problems with it. I burn enough fuel that it does not sit around for more than a couple weeks, so that might be one of the reasons I have no problems.

#11 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:42 PM

"I have experienced very few fuel related problems with it. I burn enough fuel that it does not sit around for more than a couple weeks, so that might be one of the reasons I have no problems."

Yes, that's the answer for todays gas, use it up.  No non-alky stuff available here so my 20 gallon stash has to get stabilizer so Wifey can "power flush" the porcelin throne during electrical outs.  She's an inside girl, and ain't as tough as I am!:D

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:55 PM

There are two stations about half an hour away that sell Non Eth gas.

I have been using the eth gas with Seafoam and been OK so far... but I am waiting for the day...

My plan is to start using the non gas as often as I can.

#13 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 12:27 AM

I bought some premium today at the local Pioneer station. They get fuel from various refineries. I just went to the Pioneer website and it said their premium may contain ethanol.....It also said that Shell and Esso do not put ethanol in their premium, who they also buy from. So, I guess its a crap shoot if you buy from an independant who buys from different suppliers....Guess I will be buying Shell or Esso premium

We sell Shell "Gold", their premium gasoline. It is non-ethanol. We also

run Seafoam in the small engines.

#14 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 11:57 AM

Non-ethanol 91octane for everything, universal synthetic mix oil for the 2strokes.  It helps that there's a gas station that sells non-ethanol on my way to and from work, when I finaly buy a pickup I will probably just run 87octane with ethanol.