seat switch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bigfoot OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11780
  • 20 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:39 PM

I've been having trouble with the generator light coming on and off during mowing's. It seemed to be off more than on, This has been going on for a few weeks. I checked the voltage regulator connections but they didn't seem to matter as far as the light coming on. Today I started mowing and once again the generator light came on. So I got off the seat to open up the hood, when I did the light went out. So I pushed the seat back down and the light came back on, it did this many times. To make a long story short I cleaned the seat switch contacts and it now seems to be fine. Has anyone experienced this curiosity?

• JRJ said thank you

#2 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,736 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:48 PM

Resistance in circuits does funny things to electronics.  How are the battery terminals?

• JRJ said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 06:22 PM

There is a module in the 318 that looks after a lot of the electronic functions. That may have some bad connections on it or going to/from it. Do you have a service manual? 

• Bigfoot said thank you

#4 Bigfoot OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11780
  • 20 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 06:26 AM

Cleaning the battery terminals was the first thing IThought of, yes they'd been properly cleaned. My JD is old, 1986 vintage. So the connections are questionable! I've had to install that relay for the starter to operate every time I turn the key. It eas eradic before the install. Thanks guys!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: seat switch