20 replies to this topic

#1 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:56 AM

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be!? Maybe I'm missing a return spring? Thanks
  • JRJ said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:59 AM

I the pedal can still be manually put through it's whole range, forward to reverse, then likely either the spring is broken, slipped out of place, or missing entirely.

#3 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 07:59 PM

Anybody got a picture of how the spring/mechanism should look? I have to shift it into neutral everytime I dismount the tractor.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 08:42 PM

Anybody got a picture of how the spring/mechanism should look? I have to shift it into neutral everytime I dismount the tractor.

Does yours have an Eaton (round with finning), or Sundstrand (blocky, no finning) hydro unit?

#5 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:03 PM

Mine is a sunstrand......also did you get those Massey price sheets Dan?

#6 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:12 AM

seeing that yours is the sunstrand if you look under the tractor's, left side[sitting on the tractor] you can see the return spring . It's adjustment bolt/nut./stud can be accessed by removing the floor cover.If the spring is still in place then the problem is inside the hydro unit.Whats more then likely happened is that the roll pin that connects the shaft to the swash plate has broken.So its not letting the hydro go back into the neutral position.I'll bet that you can find the neutral with the forward/reversing pedal..Mine had broke and the only way to repair was to do a tear down to repair the problem.When I did mine I installed two roll pins one inside the other,never had a problem after. Sorry don't have any pics of the spring.Larry

#7 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:27 AM

Luke, I can get you pictures of mine if you want them as I operate my tractor without the center cover over te driveshaft ( been to lazy to reinstall it)

Massey Driver is correct and what he described is what I found in my Sundstrand when i first bought it. The roll pins had been damaged at the swash plate and it was un-controllable. 

PLEASE   NOTE********** if your roll pins are damaged DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO INSERT ONE IN THEIR PLACE !!!!!!

To do so will be the greatest regret of your life when the next tear down  comes do. I have attached in this website an overhaul process for the Sundstrand and its pretty clear how to do it what to look for and lots of pictures.

Do not be intimidated by the fact its a hydraulic pump.

If you have a question or need more information don't hesitate to ask. I bit my teeth and learned a lot about the tractor itself. Now I have to learn an equal amount by the lousy design of the mower deck. I am not impressed with the deck mounting and how its carried. Bottom line is the deck doesn't mow level. But i will find that solution later.

• alley oop said thank you

#8 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for the replys.....yeah any pictures of where the spring hooks would be great! When I bought the tractor the spring was gone so I bought one from Massey dealer but didn't cure the problem. Not sure if I have it installed in right spot though. When moving the pedal with engine off the linkage seems pretty stiff, should it move with no resistance? Maybe ill try spraying it down with penetrating oil. I'm sure the problem is the pin......I never get lucky! Lol do you have to remove hydro from tractor to fix problem? If so I will probably rebuild it while its out since it will be on the bench anyway. Are parts available? Any shops carry exchange hydros? Thanks Luke

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:59 AM

I'll go get some pics.  My 1655 has the tunnel cover still off.  The pedal should easily return to neutral, engine running or not.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:05 AM

Here's a few pics...hope they help.  Hard to get a clear shot.

DSC00005.JPG DSC00009.JPG DSC00007.JPG

#11 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:13 AM

Okay, I have the short spring that runs vertical installed in the same spot. That's the one that was missing when I bought the tractor. What's the long spring that runs front to back above it for? Did you add that for something else? Mine doesn't have that one on it.

#12 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Thank you for those pictures Daniel!

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:29 AM

Okay, I have the short spring that runs vertical installed in the same spot. That's the one that was missing when I bought the tractor. What's the long spring that runs front to back above it for? Did you add that for something else? Mine doesn't have that one on it.

I didn't add the horizontal spring, but not sure if it's OE or not.  I believe it is a brake pedal return spring, or at least I think that's what it was placed there for.

#14 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:43 AM

Okay, was hoping that spring missing was the answer! Thanks!

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:53 AM

Okay, was hoping that spring missing was the answer! Thanks!

Went & double-checked....the spring in question is simply a brake pedal return.  Luke, when you move the pedal, does the shaft from the side where the return spring move equal to the side the pedal rod connects to?  If not, it's an internal pin problem for sure.