Jacobsen G10 Pto Question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nbrk70633414 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 39061
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 09:19 AM

Hello all! I have an old Jacobsen G10 tractor that has the Ford industrial engine 172ci.  It has hydraulic 3 point lift and hydraulic plow on front.  Right now my question is about the pto.  It has the pto in the rear and a rod runs from that gearbox to another gearbox in the front which has another splined shaft that sticks back toward the engine, and it looks like it centers the engine crank pulley.  But there is nothing connected to the engine and I can't see if it's connected to the rearend any where.  Has anyone seen this or is all this stuff aftermarket?  There is one rod that the driver can push or pull that looks like it pushs a rod in and out of the front gearbox, this may engage and disengage this gearbox which is what actually turns the rear pto.  Does this sound right?  If so I am wondering how I am suppose to connect that front shaft to the engine.  It doesn't look like the pictures/diagrams in the manual on this site.  Any help would be appreciated and also any comments on the tractor in general based on what you see.  The pics attached will kinda show the things I speak about.  Thanks, Nathen.

rear right.jpg

rear left.jpg

front right.jpg

engine tag.jpg

tractor tag.jpg

• JRJ said thank you

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,643 Thanks
  • 8,523 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 09:26 AM

Nathen welcome to GTtalk.  I'm not familiar with the Jacobsen setup but I'm sure someone will be along that will be able to help.  Over all your tractor looks pretty good.  As you may know we like pictures so we appreciate the attached pictures. :thumbs:

• Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:07 PM

Welcome to GTtalk Nathen, thanks for the great pictures, Like Wildbill says, someone will or should pop up before long that will have the answer to your question or even give you a hand.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'll join to those saying welcome!  Otherwise I'm not worth much...

Ben W.

#5 nbrk70633414 OFFLINE  

• 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 05:03 PM

Thanks, it's quiting time so guess I'll check back in the morning.  I still have to get the engine running so I'm not in big rush anyway,  I guess I'm just making a list of things I'll have to fix before it's ready to use.

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,622 Thanks
  • 38,996 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 05:50 PM

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to say I can't help either! Great looking tractor, though!

#7 nbrk70633414 OFFLINE  

• 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 01:29 PM

Okay, I'm attaching a couple more pictures of the front pto/engine area and one of the shaft at the rear.  Do you suppose there is suppose to be a shaft that bolts up to the engine pulley and slides onto the front pto shaft to make the connection?  That would explain the extra long bolts and extra nuts on the engine pulley like it is.  I just wish I could find someone somewhere with a picture of what all this is supposed to look like or if any of this pto setup is factory.

Attached Thumbnails

• front pto.jpg
  • front pto2.jpg
  • pto shaft at rear.jpg

#8 Russ OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8191
  • 130 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 05:24 PM

Thats what it looks like,, The long bolt was for a thick part thats missing that conects to the shaft,, Like a ujoint part cause there mite be movements from the motor an that why u mite need it,, If there is no movement up an down or side to side then it looks like u should be able to make the part for it easy if u had the yoke part for the shaft,,,, Hope this helps,,,

#9 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,358 Thanks
  • 3,127 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 03:54 AM

You are missing the driveshaft for sure !! That engine in an industrial tractor has a driveshaft running a hydraulic pump. this shaft has 2 rubber bushings connecting it , kind of similar to that found on mid 70's cub cadet hydros. and it also had the same on the other side as well to drive the pump or what ever it needed to drive, like a gearbox in your case.. Tisco may have what your looking for, as they have a lot of goodies for old Fords. Look up stuff in the Ford section under "801" series you may get lucky and find something that will work. Also it could be made with u-joints too so keep an open mind while searching . Good Luck , Keith

#10 nbrk70633414 OFFLINE  

• 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 01:49 PM

Would anyone be interested in this tractor or any parts off it or the engine?  I would part it out or sell whole at a good price.  I see parts from/for this engine on ebay for really high prices, I can sell parts alot cheaper than what I've seen on ebay.  The hydraulics on the front and rear could be used for some other project if you needed it.  I am in Fyffe, AL 35971, near Fort Payne, AL (Northeast AL) and I can ship anything that UPS will accept, at actual shipping charges.  If you're interested please let me know, I'm having financial problems at the moment.  Thanks alot, Nathen.

#11 c50ge OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10676
  • 10 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 23, 2013 - 08:26 PM

I googled Jacobsen. and requested a manual. they sent one via email. at no charge.  GREAT BIG HELP!

• Russ said thank you