8 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 08:10 AM

After the gully washer and wind Monday afternoon the potatoes were looking poor.

All blown over and looking rough.  I had noticed some Beetle damage Sunday afternoon so had sprayed them with SEVIN. I figured the rain had washed it all off, so sprayed again last night.

They are recovering very well.  In another couple weeks I'll rob a few and see what they look like.

• hamman, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Glad to hear they are coming back , we have a few bettles but so far wasn't more then what I could squish right there , mom tells of her chore  as a little girl would be a pail of kersone and she would have to pick the bettles off the potatoes  and drop them in it .

• hamman said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:54 AM

No beetles here yet. I don't think there is another potato patch within a mile of our house so I haven't had any trouble with the little beggers yet. They generally can recover pretty quickly from being flattened by a wind and rain storm.

#4 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 12:40 PM

After the gully washer and wind Monday afternoon the potatoes were looking poor.

All blown over and looking rough.  I had noticed some Beetle damage Sunday afternoon so had sprayed them with SEVIN. I figured the rain had washed it all off, so sprayed again last night.

They are recovering very well.  In another couple weeks I'll rob a few and see what they look like.

I've noticed small holes on the leaves of my plants... generally in the middle.  Is that beetles??

Smitty

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 01:26 PM

I've noticed small holes on the leaves of my plants... generally in the middle.  Is that beetles??

Smitty

There are a number of pests that will attack Potato plants. And there is a lot of info if you Google "Pests in Potatoes".

Here is one of the first I found from the University of Kentucky.http://www2.ca.uky.e...facts/ef304.asp

If you look more locally you might find better information from the Universities in Utah( I know they do a lot of produce farming out there).

My production was way down last year. Part of it I blame on the drought and I think I did not stay on top of the insects like I should have. The vines turned brown and died too early in the season.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 26, 2013 - 01:29 PM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 04:50 PM

There are a number of pests that will attack Potato plants. And there is a lot of info if you Google "Pests in Potatoes".

Here is one of the first I found from the University of Kentucky.http://www2.ca.uky.e...facts/ef304.asp

If you look more locally you might find better information from the Universities in Utah( I know they do a lot of produce farming out there).

My production was way down last year. Part of it I blame on the drought and I think I did not stay on top of the insects like I should have. The vines turned brown and died too early in the season.

Thanks for the information.  Utah State University also has extensive info. on agricultural pests and treatment...  This is my first time planting potatoes and I wanted to find out if I have an insect in my crop...

Smitty

#7 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 12:15 AM

The vines turning brown early in the season could be late blight, not a nice thing to get in either spuds or tomatoes. Did the spuds rot after you put them in storage? That's a sure sign that it was blight.
  • Alc said thank you

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 07:56 AM

The vines turning brown early in the season could be late blight, not a nice thing to get in either spuds or tomatoes. Did the spuds rot after you put them in storage? That's a sure sign that it was blight.

No they did not rot. I don't yet have a root cellar built. So I don't plant more than I can use by about mid December. If I had a Root Cellar for storage I would probably plant about an Acre. I like growing potatoes that much.

This spring the wife found some Russets, that she had forgot she had and they were sprouting. I planted them and they are looking good as any of the Seed I bought this spring.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for the information.  Utah State University also has extensive info. on agricultural pests and treatment...  This is my first time planting potatoes and I wanted to find out if I have an insect in my crop...

Smitty

Yes I thought so.  State University Extention Services are a wealth of information and most of it is free(if you don't consider it your tax dollars at work).  That is especially good because they are more aware of regional problems, as opposed to infor from clearacross the country.