• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 05:18 AM

My Kohlers will run on gas that was sitting in it from last year, so I cant see it being that.....but who knows.

Sounds to me that its still not getting gas, since it fires when you spray it in

• DH1 said thank you

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 06:02 AM

Is there any way to see if it's pulling enough vacuum to pull fuel/air into the motor ? Maybe a peice of paper across the carb ?  If it was a automotive engine I would find a vacuum point to attche a gauge to .not sure on a small engine

• DH1 said thank you

#18 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 06:16 AM

Sounds like a stuck float or blocked fuel inlet, sticking needle.

• DH1 said thank you

#19 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 06:36 AM

It seems it may be flooding, My 12 hp Kohler is the peskiest thing I have to start, DH1, when you get it cranking over, pull the governor open and see it starts then, I have to do that quite a bit !

• DH1 said thank you

#20 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 07:31 AM

If it won't run with other good carbs on it , I think you have a valve issue ,its not making vacuum to draw in the fuel. If you force it by spraying it in, it runs. Check your valve clearances and also your crankcase venting. If its plugged it may do the same thing.
  • DH1 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#21 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:35 AM

You did open the inline fuel shut off valve, right???  :D

• DH1 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#22 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,513 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:10 PM

Are you sure your ignition timing is correct. Many will tell you that if you have fuel, compression, and ignition that a motor has to run. That is only partially true. These things need to come together at the correct time. Timing chain or gears that are out of time can create a world of problems. 

• DH1 said thank you

#23 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 07:33 PM

I'll add my little toot to this gas issue...  You CAN get bad gas!  Even from a busy station, I got bad gas, a lot of it!  Several years ago I filled 3 5gal. cans from my local Momar Mart and everything came to a spitting, coughing halt.  WATER, plus a bunch of nasty foreign objects floating and sinking in all three cans.  LSS, the filler and vent pipes on the dealer's tank were broken at the cap threads and allowing water to enter.  I brought the glass jars of "proof" down there and he had the tanks checked... then changed out.  He actually thanked me.

Remember the old adage, "Don't buy gas when you see the tanker delivering!"?  It's just as true today if there's foreign matter in those tanks.  It roils around pretty good in there for a while after the tanker leaves and goes right into the pump pickup pipe...

Not saying this is the OP's problem, that can be tested with new gas from a car that's running OK or another station, but I still go back home and wait a day if I see the delivery going on.

• DH1 said thank you

#24 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:15 PM

It runs

I pulled the fuel tank flushed it out with some fresh gas and the fuel lines, filter, pump. Pulled the carb apart cleaned it out real good, did this to 2 carbs.

Put it all back together with some new today gas and no luck. ????

Changed the coil and it fired right up, still doesn't want to run smooth at a fast speed.

Going to try a new condenser I don't have a new or know good one so tomorrow I nave try to find a new one somewhere.

All this fuss for a bad spark, funny the spark shows at cranking speed with the plug out, but in the cylinder I guess it doesn't want to fire.

Learn  something new everyday.

Edited by DH1, June 26, 2013 - 10:16 PM.

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#25 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:35 PM

Glad you got it figured out Doug. sometimes the problem can hide itself very well.

#26 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:47 PM

Victory!

Good to hear.

Banta has the condensers. You might want to change the points, while you're at it.

• DH1 said thank you

#27 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,513 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 11:28 PM

All this fuss for a bad spark, funny the spark shows at cranking speed with the plug out, but in the cylinder I guess it doesn't want to fire.

I'm going through the same thing with an old Briggs right now. The guy was using ethanol in it and I have never seen so much water and corrosion in a system. I just overhauled the carb last summer and you would never know it. Now it starts right up but the spark is very erratic. Points are good and when I turn the flywheel by hand it gives me a good jolt. Condenser is next. Hope it works.

Edited by Cvans, June 26, 2013 - 11:29 PM.

#28 bigcountry48 OFFLINE  

bigcountry48
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10316
  • 101 Thanks
  • 207 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 12:32 AM

I have a spark checker I got from harbor freight, and boy does that thing save me trouble. You don't have to do anything but hook the wire to it and see if you have fire. It's a lot easier than touching the spark plug to the block and looking for a tiny spark or shocking yourself!

Edited by bigcountry48, June 27, 2013 - 12:37 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#29 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 05:03 PM

It runs

I pulled the fuel tank flushed it out with some fresh gas and the fuel lines, filter, pump. Pulled the carb apart cleaned it out real good, did this to 2 carbs.

Changed the coil and it fired right up, still doesn't want to run smooth at a fast speed.

Going to try a new condenser I don't have a new or know good one so tomorrow I nave try to find a new one somewhere.

I've heard that some plugs are defective such that they will fire fine out of the engine, but won't fire under compression... FWIW.

The condensor for those are a normal (well at least normal for when I was a teenager) automotive item.  Check your points also... they might need to be filed or replaced.

Smitty

#30 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 05:20 PM

It runs

Doug, I've had that with Champion plugs several times.