• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • Member No: 39058
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:45 PM

New to me this tractor has engine issues. I knew that when I got it for next to nothing. I figured I wanted to check out the hydraulic drive to make sure it works before I dump money into the engine. It works but when I back up I pull the lever quite far and it hardly moves. Then suddenly it backs up quite fast. Forward seems more normal. I checked and its not low on oil although the oil looks kinda milky. Any body wanna make an educated guess as to whats wrong?

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 09:43 PM

If it just in rev. If it has an inspection cover on steering tower remove it to look at the tab on travel control shaft .See if the rod going to travel control valve has the hole egg shaped causing the slack in the lever.

• breimer said thank you

#3 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 08:56 PM

I checked that out and there is some play there but certainly not enough to reflect the amount of movement required in the lever to may it back up properly.

#4 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:47 PM

If your oil is milky you have probably have water  in your oil . Drain it  and re fill with good motor oil. Back to the other the linkage on these can be real finicky at times.Have someone move the travel control forward and revers like your driving it while you are under it          watching for any jerking movement of the spool on the travel control. If you do not see any jerky movement have them move the lever to about where you have it just before it takes off grab the rod an see if you can move the spool a little bit .You do not need the motor running for this. Another place to look is the bottom of the travel control handle shaft . It sounds like to me your getting a bind in linkage somewhere. Again it takes very little movement or non movement to effect travel spool.The spool it self only moves about 3/4 of an inch so even 1/16 inch slop can affect it.

#5 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 12:36 PM

You're right. it moves about 3/4 inch. it moves nice and smooth with very little effort. The drive lever is almost bottomed out in the reverse slot when it actually moves properly. The free play in the linkage represents much less travel than that. With my limited experience on these, I would almost say it seems like there is air in the system. My 224 case acted like that when it was very low on fluid. This one however is 3/4 to the top of the tank. I should prolly change the milky oil and try again. who knows what's in this oil.

#6 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 03:39 PM

Download the right manuals (parts/service) per your tractors serial #. These books explain a lot about your tractor, even the proper way to drain the hyd. system.

P.S. Most owners use Shell 15-40 motor oil in the hyd. system. :thumbs:

#7 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:11 PM

thanks all for the helpful replies.

#8 willy OFFLINE  

willy

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8423
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:55 AM

In another Case forum ( group ) there is a system for flushing out the hydraulics . It is under , As  JW pointed out . I hope this does not offend anyone , but is good info . I used diesel  fuel .