#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 07:55 PM

Have speedex with 16hp B and S engine. This same engine as used in my MTD 990's.  I have rebuilt carb, put on new points/condenser, plug, magneto and tried to start today. It does run, but souns like a hit/miss engine, firing about every third revolution. Sounds like choke when stuck. Running way rich sound. Choke is held open, needles in/out and nothing changes. Gas flows to bowl like crazy. Points set, and turning them while running either way just makes it stop, not run any better. It does kick back on starter when  first trying it, almost like timing off. I pulled stuff off the flywheel and can see the key, looks fine and lined up. Then, I even took carb off one of running engines on 990 and it ran exactly the same. . Then went and got new points/condenser and exactly the same. Opened the valve cover and saw the valves going up/down fine, and made heck of oily mess with that open. I'm just running out of things to try. Can a bad valve be making engine run this way?  It does not smoke, cept black from too rich like. I have not had head off at all and compression seems   real good when turning, but didn't really check with gauge. Real frustrated after an afternoon of working on this thing. SO disappointed, was expecting no problems really.

• hamman said thank you

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:41 PM

When mine on my Homelite did that I took the poins and cond. out and cleaned the area. I put them back in and had nearly the same problem. Changed the cond. and readjusted the points until we could get it running and than just adjusted the points until it ran good. My BIL had the same problem with a Simplicity 7014 I gave him and he did the same thing and it runs good now. Hope you can get it figured out. Roger. P.S. not sure what I did to make it run but my BIL thinks we had the points off center or sitting on something keeping it out of adj..

Edited by hamman, June 25, 2013 - 08:42 PM.

• superaben said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:41 PM

I know the frustration when these things decide to run like... junk.  This is a Briggs single, large two piece Flo-Jet, points and condenser in a little box next to the carburetor, right?

Check your compression, for one thing.  I would be curious to know what it is. 

Check your valve clearances. 

Pull the spark plug after you get it going for a few minutes and look down into the cylinder.  Is it oily?  If it is, you have one of three things going on, or a combination of all three:

1. Bad oil control piston ring or worn cylinder.

2. Bad breather

3. Overfull crankcase

I'm guessing (if everything else is right) on of those is where the problem is.

Ben W.

• hamman said thank you

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Roger also has a good point (like usual).  If the points are off, you aren't getting the right heat for the spark.  That will make it run awful. 

Ben W.

• hamman said thank you

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:53 PM

It's the Magneto.Had the exact same problem with my MTD 1400 with 14hp briggs single.Bought new points,condensor,plug and Mag,rebuilt the carb and it ran like crap.Sounded like the timing was off.

I bought a new Stens magneto that turned out to be Junk out of the box.I still have the offencive thing sitting here in it's box.Paid $40 for it and the place I got it from won't give me a refund or give me another mag. Stens part# 440417 made in Argentina for Stens by DZE Ignition products.

I ended up buying a used Points Mag off of ebay for $12 shipped.It's been running like a champ ever since.

This isn't the 1st Stens coil/mag that I've got reciently that was junk out of the box.I will not be buying any more Stens ignition parts or starters made by Stens.I have a 2 month old Stens starter that went kaput on my big Snapper mower.

What's wrong with the original Mag?

Edited by EricFromPa, June 25, 2013 - 08:55 PM.

• hamman and superaben have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 06:08 PM

Eric from PA had it exact!   I dug out the old coil and cleaned up the grounds and wire ends. Put it on and while shroud was off tried to start. First pull of rope it took right off and ran pretty good!  Had to adjust carb for better run, but had it all messed up trying to run before. Now, starts first pull most times and revs fine and am happy camper. Don't try to figure out these old Briggs, they just are temperamental and need the right touch at right time......must be Female!