• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 05:00 PM

It has been a while, quite a while, since I last updated this; that's because making the drive-shaft took a bit longer then I planned. The reason it took so long, is because in my welding class I kept getting interrupted with other things the teacher wanted my to do. Anyway, I finally got it finished and brought it home.

Here is one of the ends, the original drive-shaft extends into the extension about 5 inches. The hole in the extension that the original section goes into is only a few thousandths of an inch larger, so there is virtually no play in it.

ED0B86A8-B4A8-4440-9849-C1EB080AC3CE-117

Here it is in there the way it will go.

238B820D-6A61-4413-8985-B8FA3272D3C8-117

I also got the engine mounting plate welded to the frame! I ground the welds on the sides down, and rounded the edge.

19B70C2A-0B9F-419A-AAC5-29C678B2304E-117

Somehow, the drive-shaft ended up being about 3/8 of an inch longer then I had originally measured it to be; I am not sure why it is off, but it is. Since I have not started fabrication on anything else, the only thing it will affect is the drive-shaft tube; although, this is not a big deal at all. I will have to cut out a section in the middle of the tube so I can put a pillow block in anyway, so now I will just cut out a slightly smaller section that will make up for the difference.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#107 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,666 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 05:29 PM

Man, that IS a long one! I still think you should have a joint in middle or at least a rag joint near one end to allow any flexing that might happen. I'll be interested in seeing the mount for this pillow bearing you are gonna make. That mean tube will be broken in two parts to allow the bearing to be on a frame mount then? Wouldn't think a bearing just in center of long tube would do much for beefing it up. Still think you should have made engine mount with angles just like standard PK, so you could adjust the engine up/down to align better if needed.

#108 drivadesl OFFLINE  

drivadesl
  • Member No: 16725
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 11:35 AM

That's a great project and looks like it's coming right along.  It's also good to see that the school's are actually teaching these type of classes.  I had thought that had gone out the window along time ago.  I know BOCES offers these type of programs, is that where you receive instruction or is it in the HS?

Looking forward to your next installment of progress photos.  Thanks for posting.

#109 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 07:37 PM

I would like to see how it's coming along also. :thumbs:

#110 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 04:40 PM

Ryan is currently out of town. He'll be back to this before long!

#111 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 06:13 PM

Driv, Boces is a vocational school seperatef from the high school. As a junior and senior students get a choice to go there and learn a trade. There are 8 or 9 schools in the county who send students there for more education.

I wish I had an update of progress on this for you guys, but I have not worked on it in quite a while and I have nothing to update. I really want to get this done, but I don't think I will be able to work on it much until after winter. After I get back to NY on the 5th I have to do some things to the tractors for winter, and my s10 is just about to die so I will be working on the F450 that belonged to my Dad to get that running, and build a flatbed for it.