A while ago I brought the '65 PK deluxe in the garage so I could get it running. My intention was to get it only running, and then leave it be until I had material and time to start this project... before I knew it all I had was a rolling chassis, and the engine torn down for a rebuild. I decided to just start the project when I could, and worry about the engine later. HERE is the thread I started when I brought it into the garage. Since the project is now underway, I wanted to start another thread for the build.
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I will start off by posting a quick drawing I made on paint. This shows what I am shooting for here.
The first thing I need to do is make a new frame; I was going to just cutt of the back of the original frame and make it longer, but I decided I could make it look better with a completely new frame. Not to mention, I could make the new frame much stronger and beefier.
The bed, will be roughly 48" by 30" and will fit between the rear tires. I am not sure yet, but the bed will most likely end up being a steel frame, with a wood floor and sides.
The new frame I am making out of 3" x 1 3/8" x 3/16" channel iron. I did some planning before I got the steel and the new frame was going to be about 4 feet longer then the original. The channel iron I got is in 8 foot sections; it turns out that the original frame is 4 feet 2 inches shorter then one 8 foot section, so if I use one full piece for each frame rail it will be perfect!
With the longer frame, I will need to make a longer drive shaft. My plan for that is to just cut the original, and then stick each half into the end of a pipe and weld them in; however, the drive shaft on these tractors is not parallel to the frame, so I will have to raise the engine some. I am not sure how much it will have to go up, I need to do some measuring.
Edited by Ryan313, June 25, 2013 - 05:31 PM.