• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bskip1 OFFLINE  

bskip1

• Member No: 593
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 04:33 PM

I acquired a Tecumseh HMSK80 that seemed to be stuck so i tore it all apart and found that there was some aluminum on the bearing of the crank where it sits in the block. The journal of the block seems to be a little rough causing the crank to turn hard. I think it had a lack of oil...Is it possible to lightly hone that journal to make it smooth again and polish the crank?

Thanks for any advise,
Brett

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 06:08 PM

Its hard to say...
If you try and polish the crank it may start knocking.
I guess you could give it a try and see what happens. The crank and rod are no good the way they are. After you polish them up check and see the clearance you got.
Also while you got it all apart you better check to make sure the crank's not bent.

#3 bskip1 OFFLINE  

bskip1

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for the reply...Sorry i didnt make it very claer in my first post and mixed up bearing and journal. This is actually the bearing on the flywheel side of the block and its jounal...Ichecked an found the crank not bent...just the bearing and jounal are rough. I dont k now why one couldnt hone the bearing very lightly but I want someone elses opinion before I did it.

Thanks again

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 06:49 PM

Best way to remove the aluminum from the crank journal is to get muriatic acid (brick cleaning acid). Just brush it on the crank journal full strength & it'll dissolve the aluminum. Do it outside & do not breathe the fumes it creates....very bad on your lungs! When you take the cap off the acid jug, fumes will come out, so be very careful!
The acid will NOT eat on the steel...no worries there. Keep applying acid until all the aluminum is gone. Then you just use some fine emery cloth to dress the journal. I would clean up the crank, then check the fit in the case. If too tight, then carefully ream, or hone. If it's not tight, I'd leave the case alone & use it as-is.

#5 bskip1 OFFLINE  

bskip1

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 02:58 PM

Ok thanks for the info...I will give it a try this weekend.