• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 03:42 PM

Been trying to work my way back to the diesel club for some time.  Buying and selling tractors, gradualy upgrading as I went.  I stumbled onto this Yanmar GT14 on craigslist for $550, running with a hyd rear hitch, and ag tires.  With some research and speaking to some yanmar parts people, the engine alone is worth darn near $1k.  So it was a steal to say the least.  I got it home today, gave it a bath.  The rear hitch looks factory its so well made and welded.  But I want either a proper 3point or a sleeve hitch.  It appears to possibly have some of the yanmar 3 point brackets on the tractor and thats probably the original 3pt hitch lift cylinder.  I am hunting the following parts, if someone either has or finds them in a salvage yard, good headlight lense, side panels that go on either side of the engine area, 3 point hitch, rear PTO and a mid mount mower deck.  I thankfully have the high doller front electric PTO clutch and all mounting hardware, just no mower deck.  Being you do not see many of these around, I intend to have the red panels professionaly repainted and will take the old girl to shows. I do believe this was Yanmars only garden tractor, with the rest while being small, all were SCUT's or CUT's.  Engine is a 2 cylinder liquid cooled diesel, with water pump.  Its not thermosyphon cooling system like some of the SCUT's back then were.  New seat and new front tires are first on the list.  Probably going to go with ribbed tires on the front.  Cheers  Mike

cubcadet022_zpsf5a0c93b.jpg

cubcadet021_zpsa6fa6f02.jpg

cubcadet020_zps76eff5f4.jpg

cubcadet019_zps6e9bef52.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, JRJ and LYON222 have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 04:00 PM

Must be rare, as I've never seen a Yanmar in this GT size range.  Yes, you did get a deal!  

#3 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 05:37 PM

I did see one at the spring Portland for sale, also without its mid mount mower deck.  I have a rear PTO located, but not in the budget right now.  He also has my missing side panels and a new headlight lense.  The rear 3 point hitch might take some hunting.  The cylinder on my rear hitch is the one that belongs undernieth to move the main rockshaft and in turn the rear 3pt.  I have all the parts to put it back to OEM thankfully.   Mike

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Sounds like a nice GT to have! Hope you find the things you are looking for at a decent price! Looks real good in the pics!

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Solid looking tractor. What is the drivetrain like on it. Hydro or gear drive? 

#6 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 07:45 PM

I call it a mix of the 2, called a Powershift.  You only have to clutch when you select one of the 3 rear end ratios or stop.  You can shift the column mounted gear shift from 1, 2, N or R without using the clutch.  It has a seperate hyd pump that accuates clutches inside the rear end.  So you can keep the Rear PTO(if equipted) spinning and start, stop and change speeds without loosing the PTO itself.  Kind of like a shuttle shift of years ago.  No belts ect, U jointed drive shaft to the transmission at the rear. I have side panels, new headlight lense, and if I could afford it, a rear pto set up, found.   Mike

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Nice find!! One of my dumber moves was not buying one of those new in the crate back when I worked in the factory. They ordered one for a manager and he decided he did not want it. I could have bought it at the wholesale price.  I think it may have been older than the one you have it was green not red.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 25, 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#8 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:13 AM

Welcome back to the smell of diesel.

That's a neat tractor and I hope your able to locate everything your looking for. Big plus having a water pump also.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:36 AM

Much like our big Massey 2745's, except backwards on the gears.  These have 3 speed "shift on the fly" hydraulic clutch packs BEHIND an 8 speed transmission.  Reverse they originally said you could use without clutching, but it caused problems.  We always clutch when changing directions.

#10 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:41 AM

Yeah, the engine is worth the price! I see a lot of SCUT yanmars around but no GT's. Are those 12" rims on the back?

#11 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• Member No: 7898
  • 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 01:27 PM

Fyi, I think they used Case/Ingersoll mower decks and snow casters with a special Yanmar mounting set up.

Sent from my S3

#12 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 04:46 PM

They might have, there is a blade on ebay now.  I am swapping my front PTO set up with a dealer for a new rear PTO set up and buying replacment side panels and a new headlight lense at the same time.  It wont fit in my shed with even the smallest(48") belly deck.  But I can drop off a 3pt mounted deck easily.  The 3 point set up is next on my gotta find radar.  New front tires and a seat will come very shortly.   I removed that funky rear hitch set up, if anybody wants it let me know, and restored the lift to factory set up.  Just had to put the hyd cylinder back in the factory location under the tractor. Yes those are 12" rims on the back, she has the same tire size as any other older garden tractor, 16 6.50-8's on the front and 23 10.50-12's on the rear.  Goodyear ags on the rear and worn out turfs on the front.  Local Rural King is out of stock right now for some new turf tires for the front.  Cheers Mike

#13 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 09:55 PM

Are you sure those are factory tire sizes? with the gap between the 23" tire and the fenders it looks like it is screaming from some 26's in the rear and 18/8.5-8's up front!

#14 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:26 PM

Thats factory, those are the OEM rims.  I wouldnt want that wide of a tire on the front anyways, to much stress on steering linkages and more effort to turn at slow speed.  Its comparable in size to a 318 JD.  Just a tad heavier in the nose with that cast iron block diesel up there!  Cant wait to get her looking better, tending to a few mechanical issues now.  Have a bad bearing noise coming from the input shaft/bevel gear box on the trans, the drive shaft angles down and to the left sharply to a gear box on the side of the trans, allows straight thru drive to the rear pto and has a bevel gear inside the box to drive the main transmission.  The shaft is getting very hot and I see to much floppy motion in that end of the drive shaft.  Joints felt cool after some run time, so I suspect the input bearing is toast.   Mike

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 11:37 PM

Great GT, I will be watching for one of those to pop up in my area. Looks like a great design.