• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 06:50 PM

I can pick up a C214F ser. 071362 . Not the best of shape not seeing a lot on them here. Wondering if they are problematic or just not to popular?  

#2 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Around here they wont bring 300.00 in good shape, They are a large JD110 and that's it. No hydraulics, 99 percent are manual lift, three speeds, seats wont support "large" people without the steering wheel being embedded in the gut and no adjustment was on the original seat. The John Deere 200 Series wasn't even as as much of a tractor as the old Sears, that at least had a 2 speed rear end and tons of implements, let alone the Wheel Horses of the same era, not much of a collector, but a great donor for a Frankenstein tractor. I'm still bitter about the beating, no make that rape, I took on a JD214 restoration

• gopher said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 07:38 PM

They have a Peerless 2300 4 speed transmission and weight about 750 lbs . A good sized GT and quite capable of doing a lot of work if you have the attachments. The problem with them is that they are usually worn out and misused, at least in this area. Finding one in decent shape is the real challenge. The Ser. No. makes it an early 1977. 

• gopher and OkieGt have said thanks

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 07:39 PM

They have a following and quite a few would disagree with the OkieGT post
I know of one that has been in my family for over 30 yrs, my brother ran it forever doing custom mowing and now my nephew has it still going strong. I am considering a 200 series as a backup machine myself.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 24, 2013 - 07:40 PM.

• gopher said thank you

#5 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 08:24 PM

There are a fair amount of 200 series machines still at work in my part of the world.  I spent many hours of my life on an early 210 and later 212.  Well made and durable tractors IMO.  The k341 in the 214 is a torque-y monster.  I would not refuse one if the price was right...  It would likely need belts, motor mounts, and a basic tune-up.

• gopher said thank you

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 08:37 PM

Okie covered the negatives almost complete. He forgot the turning radius, it's larger than most. On the flip side, bulletproof engine, tranny, and attachments. Easy to work on. Cheap to work on, 200 series parts are plentiful and cheaper than other JD parts on EBay. Perfect backup machine. The mowing decks for these cut very well. Quieter than the average GT.

Available with manual, electric, or hydraulic lift. Manual or electric pto engagement.

With a sleeve hitch, they are excellent plowing or digging tractors.
  • gopher and Trav1s have said thanks

#7 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 09:02 PM

They have a following and quite a few would disagree with the OkieGT post
I know of one that has been in my family for over 30 yrs, my brother ran it forever doing custom mowing and now my nephew has it still going strong. I am considering a 200 series as a backup machine myself.

I was harsh, they are good mowers, not great, they literally made a million of them, not rare, almost everyone I've seen and the same for many of the Cubs has been used hard and put up wet, again I really am still upset with the work I put into mine and the 18 months it took to sell and what I was offered and and what I got for it. I made the mistake of putting time and money into a tractor I wasn't going to keep. I had over 12 people come look at my 214 when I had it for sale, NOT one of those people weighed less than 300 lbs and after managing to get on it couldn't steer it. It wasn't in bad shape when I bought it, but I rebuilt the engine, front end, new tires, seat, custom paint, new wiring/battery, complete deck restoration, I also bought a NEW deck and NEW snow plow still strapped to pallets from a ex JD dealer, After 18 months on Craigslist and ebay my best offer was 675.00 for everything. I was losing my eyesight, my job, and I was broke, now you can see why I was bitter, I loved the looks and driving the tractor, but it was no hydro, but a great geared tractor

• gopher and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 09:10 PM

Okie covered the negatives almost complete. He forgot the turning radius, it's larger than most. On the flip side, bulletproof engine, tranny, and attachments. Easy to work on. Cheap to work on, 200 series parts are plentiful and cheaper than other JD parts on EBay. Perfect backup machine. The mowing decks for these cut very well. Quieter than the average GT.

Available with manual, electric, or hydraulic lift. Manual or electric pto engagement.

With a sleeve hitch, they are excellent plowing or digging tractors.

They are sturdy and attractive machines as well, The electric/hydraulic lifts are fairly rare and expensive on ebay as are the electric PTOs, very few were optioned from the factory with either. Finding a sleeve hitch wasn't easy either, other than the front plow and up north the snow blower, other attachments weren't near as plentiful as what was available from Cub, Sears, WH, or Simplicity, that has always been a draw back of JD tractors, lack of good attachment sales. Another thing that bothered me was the advent of hydraulic ports, some tractors with three, and I never see any attachments that use those ports save the angle adjustment on the front blade. I'm not saying there weren't hydraulic powered attachments for these tractors, they just seem to be rare

• gopher said thank you

#9 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 09:29 PM

The 208 was really the only rare 200 series as it was made only one year (78). I personally really like the 200's as I have a 212, 214 and 216. These are my workers as the 212 has a snow blower, the 214 mower deck, and the 216 has the tiller. I do plan to restore or at least refurbish them. These tractors are very durable. The Kohler's are tough as nails. Maybe not for everyone but I say YES!

• gopher said thank you

#10 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 09:58 PM

The 208 was really the only rare 200 series as it was made only one year (78). I personally really like the 200's as I have a 212, 214 and 216. These are my workers as the 212 has a snow blower, the 214 mower deck, and the 216 has the tiller. I do plan to restore or at least refurbish them. These tractors are very durable. The Kohler's are tough as nails. Maybe not for everyone but I say YES!

They made a model 200 1977 as well and renamed it the 208 in 1978, less than 2400 of each of these were made, not many know of the 200 it was a 8hp kohler as well.

• gopher and A.C.T. have said thanks

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 10:01 PM

I was harsh, they are good mowers, not great, they literally made a million of them, not rare, almost everyone I've seen and the same for many of the Cubs has been used hard and put up wet, again I really am still upset with the work I put into mine and the 18 months it took to sell and what I was offered and and what I got for it. I made the mistake of putting time and money into a tractor I wasn't going to keep. I had over 12 people come look at my 214 when I had it for sale, NOT one of those people weighed less than 300 lbs and after managing to get on it couldn't steer it. It wasn't in bad shape when I bought it, but I rebuilt the engine, front end, new tires, seat, custom paint, new wiring/battery, complete deck restoration, I also bought a NEW deck and NEW snow plow still strapped to pallets from a ex JD dealer, After 18 months on Craigslist and ebay my best offer was 675.00 for everything. I was losing my eyesight, my job, and I was broke, now you can see why I was bitter, I loved the looks and driving the tractor, but it was no hydro, but a great geared tractor

Yes I understand where your coming from. Did not mean to be disagreeable. But thought you were painting with a broad brush, when a fine detail brush would have been better. You were not wrong they like any machine has faults. They have a very avid following.
The fact that they do not sell for a lot of money can be an asset if your buying as opposed to selling.
My brother ran his 212 for a lot of years. He gave it to his son, a big boy used to run about 360lbs he is down to 240 now.
Del had rebuilt a 110 for his wifes grandfather who bought it new. When the old guy passed he willed it to Del.
It is a two owner machine and is for sale, but it will not go cheap. He is asking $500. The only reason my brother is willing to sell the 110 is that he just bought a new John Deere ZTR.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#12 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 11:03 PM

Yes I understand where your coming from. Did not mean to be disagreeable. But thought you were painting with a broad brush, when a fine detail brush would have been better. You were not wrong they like any machine has faults. They have a very avid following.
The fact that they do not sell for a lot of money can be an asset if your buying as opposed to selling.
My brother ran his 212 for a lot of years. He gave it to his son, a big boy used to run about 360lbs he is down to 240 now.
Del had rebuilt a 110 for his wifes grandfather who bought it new. When the old guy passed he willed it to Del.
It is a two owner machine and is for sale, but it will not go cheap. He is asking $500. The only reason my brother is willing to sell the 110 is that he just bought a new John Deere ZTR.

My very first GT was a fully restored 1965 110, I loved that little tractor, I really like the 214 as well, I only paid 50.00 for it, but i had a lot of time in restoring it and to be offered half as much as Murray for it was a hard pill to swallow., on a side note out of that dozen heavy people that came to see the tractor, most were women, lol, One lady was well over 6'4" and had to go 450-500, I could see her playing for the bears, lol, she made that 214 look small

#13 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 04:40 AM

She would make an "M" look small.

• Trav1s and OkieGt have said thanks

#14 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 03:58 PM

They have a Peerless 2300 4 speed transmission and weight about 750 lbs . A good sized GT and quite capable of doing a lot of work if you have the attachments. The problem with them is that they are usually worn out and misused, at least in this area. Finding one in decent shape is the real challenge. The Ser. No. makes it an early 1977. 

about a hundred lbs off, mine weighed in at 665 with gas and oil. Around here they are pretty plentiful, 212 and 214s everywhere, but few of any other brands

#15 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 07:03 PM

I went ahead and picked the 214. Like I said not the best of shape.seat bad one side cover gone front grill missing  paint oxidized think I can get most of it rubbed out I used  swirl remover here and there checking it.If one of you Deere guys could tell me best way to get at solenoid and starter. Side cover or battery box? I can turn motor over by hand but only get click when using key. 

Attached Thumbnails

• SAM_0082.JPG
  • SAM_0083.JPG
  • SAM_0084.JPG