jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 06:42 PM

I have a flywheel! At least I'm pretty sure. However, I'm away from home until Wednesday. I'll let it go for a lot cheaper than a hundred bucks. If you want to hold off unil I can get you a picture ill do that when I get back. Don't know if I have a stator though. I don't remember but can check in a few days.

Edited by jdslednut, June 25, 2013 - 12:43 AM.

• olcowhand and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#17 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 05:04 AM

I have a flywheel! At least I'm pretty sure. However, I'm away from home until Wednesday. I'll let it go for a lot cheaper than a hundred bucks. If you want to hold off unil I can get you a picture ill do that when I get back. Don't know if I have a stator though. I don't remember but can check in a few days.

Thanks so much!!.  I'm interested... let me kno w when you can.

Smitty

#18 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 04:03 PM

Well, I decided I would probably use this 317, instead of trying to get the other one back in shape.  I don't need 2 of them, but one will provide a good source of parts for the other.

I hauled it to a car wash and cleaned it off as best I could--there was crusted on oily dirt everywhere underneath.  In the process, I managed to break the clear line that shows the transaxle oil level--it was pretty brittle, and needed to be replaced.

The body pan was only held on by two bolts, so I decided to remove it so I could more easily work on the transaxle, etc.

When I got the body off, I discovered this:

I've never known of a metal fan to break like this unless it's physically damaged.  The broken-off blade was lying in the bottom of the fan shroud--completely buried in crud...

Now, a couple questions:

How do you remove the fan??? this one had a nylon wire tie through the hole up by the pump, I removed it, but the fan hub seems to be pressed on.

How do you drain the transaxle.  There's a big hex nut at the very back, about even with the axles, but it wouldn't drain much from that... do you break a line free?

As always, any help would be appreciated.

Smitty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jd317, flywheel, alternator, oil filter