DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 09, 2010 - 09:03 PM

I thought I'd start a thread for all my Tecumseh engines that I have that don't run.
I got 5 all together, all SSI, 2 are for tractors that I have and 3 spares plus some loose parts. 1 of these is still in the tractor and haven't touched it yet. The other 4 are more or less complete of these there is only 3 SSI ignition modules, all other parts are there.
I took 1 engine the one that came out of the last Hydra I got and used it to test all the stator coils and SSI units I have. These seem to be the most expensive parts.

So testing the stators as the service manual says, looks like I got 4 good stator coils out of 6.
Testing the SSI units as the manual says tells me I have 2 good SSI units, but I really don't know if they will break down when hot after they are run for a while.
This doesn't count the engine still in the tractor.

Service manual says measure resistance of the stator if 400 ohm or more it's good, less than 400 N/G, the 2 I have that are N/G are open circuit. To test the SSI unit remove the spark plug leave it hooked up, ground the threads rotate the engine by hand and if you get spark SSI is good.

This tells me that I can get maybe 2 running engines without buying any SSI ignition modules.
The 1 engine that's still in the tractor???

I want to get 2 good engines for sure 1 for the Hydra which I'll keep the other for the 12g which I'll sell.

Next I need to take them apart and see what they look like inside, figure out what I need and place an order, plus check the one that's still in the tractor.

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 08:00 PM

This is what I got
The one on the left of the 4 is out of the 71MF12Hydra, next 3 are spares and there's 1 in a MF12g.

Attached Thumbnails

• HH120 003.jpg
  • HH120 005.jpg
  • HH120 006.jpg
  • HH120 004.jpg

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 08:32 PM

Doug, that is an awesome stockpile of Tecumsehs. :thumbs:

I think you will be able to get two good runners plus you will have plenty of spare parts in case any of em break down. :D

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 08:34 PM

Doug, that is an awesome stockpile of Tecumsehs. :thumbs:

I think you will be able to get two good runners plus you will have plenty of spare parts in case any of em break down. :D

:ditto:

You should be able to make 2 runners

#5 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 08:57 PM

I think I'm going to pick up some plastigauge pull them apart and see inside, won't really know what I got till I do.

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 09:04 PM

Doug
Keep me in mind when you know what you what to sell. I need an SSI for one and Have another partial engine for a 12 Hydro.
I have been considering making my own ignition for both some I can get parts in the future. First one I bought was not a good one.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 09:08 PM

I think I'm going to pick up some plastigauge pull them apart and see inside, won't really know what I got till I do.

I think it is a great idea to tear in to all of them and get some measurements and see how they look, then use all the best pieces of the bunch.

#8 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 09:13 PM

I think it is a great idea to tear in to all of them and get some measurements and see how they look, then use all the best pieces of the bunch.

:ditto:

#9 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 09:20 PM

Doug
Keep me in mind when you know what you what to sell. I need an SSI for one and Have another partial engine for a 12 Hydro.
I have been considering making my own ignition for both some I can get parts in the future. First one I bought was not a good one.

I found out that the Stator coil has to be good or no spark, I pulled the lead of the SSI unit under the blower housing that comes from the stator and measured resistance of the stator, book says 400ohm+ it's good, the 2 good ones I have are 460ohms.
Did you see this http://www.gttalk.co...solutions-2410/
Lots of info here.

I'm probably going to be looking for a SSI unit myself.

#10 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 09:46 PM

I found out that the Stator coil has to be good or no spark, I pulled the lead of the SSI unit under the blower housing that comes from the stator and measured resistance of the stator, book says 400ohm+ it's good, the 2 good ones I have are 460ohms.
Did you see this http://www.gttalk.co...solutions-2410/
Lots of info here.

I'm probably going to be looking for a SSI unit myself.

Yes, a wealth of knowledge there.
Pretty much what I am going to do. That will make the parts availability problem go away.

#11 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 16, 2010 - 09:57 PM

Keep in mind, I am not sure if that stator coil test will test the separate "SSI coil winding" or not. The stator coil has one winding that is in place to charge the SSI coil up and not charge the battery. This coil can be good while the rest is dead and still let the tractor run, just not charge the battery. As well, as the SSI coil winding can be bad and the rest could charge the battery if used with an external ignition conversion.

That website linked goes into the "Ed Stoller" style replacement ignition like I have on my 12G, and that I am getting ready to do on the OH140 motor in the Hydro tractor. One thing to note, they did not mention Ed's converted coils. Using the SSI coil pack, converted to be used as the CPS (crank position sensor) you solve all the problems of not having to align, adjust, and build a custom bracket for a CPS pick up. Also, the cost (as I last knew) was just $25 to have the coil modified. That is much cheaper than most any other option of CPS pick ups out there.

If you plan to do this, a few thoughts... I found it best to just rip all the wiring out of the tractor and just replace it all. The only thing I used was the harness that plugs into the motor (three wire, the center, pink wire removed as is is not needed) This harness goes into the regulator box. There is red wire that goes up to the dash from this box. This is the wire that will hook to the "run" side of your switch to charge the battery back up. The rest of the harness is best to just be replaced one wire at a time as you do the conversion. Most of the time they are shot and need to be replaced and there is little left of the wires that can easily be swapped around, and it's a nice clean job to run new ones with soldered terminals heat shrink tubing. Ducky feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions about the conversion. My 12G has run it flawless for just over a year now, and the 12H will be getting done before the end of the year with all luck.

One more thought... if your stator coil is bad, of if you want to upgrade the charging system, you can install a GM alternator behind the grille and run it off the motor shaft. This can give you upwards of 10 times the amperage over the stock 10/20 amp set up. All you will need is some simple brackets and a pulley mounted between the pulley stack the motor case. (Stock set up for the hydro pump btw) This would be great if you plan to run extra lights, 12v winch, electric lift, or maybe you want to convert a snow-blower to operate with 12V motors. This is something I plan to do with my 12G, and maybe the hydro as well.

Edited by FirefyterEmt, November 16, 2010 - 10:05 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and mjodrey have said thanks

#12 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 17, 2010 - 08:59 AM

Good luck Doug on your mix and match Tec. engines. The last HH100 that I got running I took the last 3 non runners I had and got one real good running one out of the pile. One had a good short block. I took the iginition off of one that the cylinder was badly scored and the 20 amp charging system from the third one and got one going. I am out of ignitions, good carbs and starters now but have some engine parts to work with.

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 17, 2010 - 10:29 AM

Hey Guys,

There is a 2 part article in LGTC ,Sept/Oct and Nov/DEC.,2010 that talks all about ignition systems for Tec. engines. I have not read it yet, but looked it over. There is some great stuff in this article.

Brian

#14 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 17, 2010 - 06:50 PM

And I am sure that Kate @ LAGC magazine will be more than glad to sell you back issues! One thing to point out though, there are three types of coils that were used. I am not sure what the rhyme or reason to the application, but only one style is easy to do. This is the only one that Ed Stoller goes over in the article. (His website show's the difference in them... Sadly, I have one of the ones that is not easy to convert and will be sending it to him) Also noteworthy, Ed has a set up designed just to test the coil before he converts them. his can help to determine if yours really is bad. My 12G at first tested good, but failed a "long term" test once it warmed up.

This time around, I will be taking more photos of the conversion, but if anyone has not seen it, I had the original post on MTF.

Ed Stoller - SSI conversion installed. - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

Posted Image

#15 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 12:41 AM

And I am sure that Kate @ LAGC magazine will be more than glad to sell you back issues! One thing to point out though, there are three types of coils that were used. I am not sure what the rhyme or reason to the application, but only one style is easy to do. This is the only one that Ed Stoller goes over in the article. (His website show's the difference in them... Sadly, I have one of the ones that is not easy to convert and will be sending it to him) Also noteworthy, Ed has a set up designed just to test the coil before he converts them. his can help to determine if yours really is bad. My 12G at first tested good, but failed a "long term" test once it warmed up.

This time around, I will be taking more photos of the conversion, but if anyone has not seen it, I had the original post on MTF.

Ed Stoller - SSI conversion installed. - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

Posted Image

It appears you went with the Mopar module? Correct?