3 replies to this topic

#1 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 06:28 PM

I ordered 2 bronze Oiltite bushings 1" O.D.x 3/4" I.D.x 2-1/2" L to be installed by the machinist who will use a reamer to ream out both spindle shafts on the axle, then I'll cut off the head of the zert fitting and use it as a guide to drill a grease hole through the bushing without harming the zert threads, then I will install a new zert. I also order 2 new ball joints, and a whole new drag link bar from Tube Frame Restorations. I also orders the steering bushing and bought some Plastic epoxy to fix the small crack in the steering wheel. I found a actual picture of the seat new and I'm taking the seat to place that does custom car upholstery to recover the seat pan. The decals should come in next week. I'll spray it down with degreaser again and PW it for the third time and spray OSPHO on any rust spots. Any bare metal or rusty areas will get self etching metal primer. For the black color I'm mixing a special blend of gloss black alkyd implement paint with Anchors 9177 satin tower paint, it is the hardest paint I have ever used, it will stick to stainless steel and even a putty knife wont scrape it off, no primer needed. I want the hardness of the tower paint, but I want a little more shine, that's the reason for the mix. the seat pan, hood and dash will get sanded, primed, sanded, primed, and sanded again, then 3 coats of white automotive paint. NOTE: I must warn others of performing routine maintenance work,this project started as a tune up on the carb, it's gotten out of hand.

http://s1197.photobu...html?sort=3&o=2

Edited by OkieGt, June 23, 2013 - 06:29 PM.

• hamman, CRFarnsworth, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 06:52 PM

Sounds like fun times!

• OkieGt said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Out of hand...  maybe for normal folks, but We understand!  Looks like a great restoration and sounds like fun to me!

#4 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 07:12 PM

this tractor has an interesting history. The guy I bought it from bout a new QT17 in 1983, a month later the KT17 turns into a KT8-1/2. The dealer says no to a warranty, (nice guy huh, it should have been under warranty), but out of the goodness of his heart he has a H16 that has had a new engine put on it, of course he's trading a new tractor for one 6-7 years old, anyway first day out the guy hits a curb/stump/studebaker and knocks the gearbox off the mower deck. He takes the deck to a buddy to repair, 10 years later the buddy and the deck are MIA and he's been through 2 craftsman's and a Murray, when he decides to uncover the Bolens out of the barn and sell it to finance a used Poulan mower, rather than find a deck for the H16. Apparently the hit it took also damaged the front wheel bearing spindle.Other than no deck and a bad spindle this tractor is super clean!!! I have never bought a tractor of this age in this good of shape. The shaft drive  tiller, Snow blower and front dozer blade was the icing on the cake. I found a NICE deck for it from a guy that sold the tractor, for free!!

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks