6 replies to this topic

#1 ridezzz OFFLINE  

ridezzz
  • Member No: 34559
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hi all,  thanks again for all the help on my starting trouble 

Now I'd like to ask if anyone has experience with building a loader for their garden tractor.

I'm working from a set of plans from p,f,engineering.

1) Does anyone know the hyd pump capacity of the 317

2) plans were drawn for a wide frame Cub Cadet,and have a pump bracket which also serves as the

attach points for the front braces running from the upright towers.

Wondering if the pump bracket is necesssary on the 317 , or if a bigger hydraulic pump will fit in where the existing one is mounted.

Any and all experience,thought,etc are greatly appreciated!                                                                                              

• JRJ said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 11:39 AM

The 317's hydro charge/lift pump will not serve the loader.  You need a dedicated pump.  Your plans show the bracket for such a dedicated pump.  The existing 317's pump is part of the hydro & isn't used at all in the plans you have.  You will need a hydraulic pump with a flow capacity of about 6 to 8gpm.  You don't want too much volume or the loader cylinders will react too fast.  Most any pump will have a much higher rated pressure than you would ever need.  My pressure relief valve is set at 900psi, and with 2 1/2" cylinders, it'll lift way way more than is safe.  The smaller diameter the cylinders are though, the higher pressure it takes to lift a load compared to a larger diameter cylinder.

• ridezzz said thank you

#3 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 01:49 PM

I would build a Buford bucket runs off the tractors hydraulics and they are simple

• ridezzz said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 02:54 PM

I think Daniel has answered your question but I'll just add that the 317 is going to be pretty hard to steer with a loader on it. You should take a look at the steering from the front axle right back to the steering wheel. They tend to build up a lot of wear over the years and all that wear on top of the extra weight of the loader will make it a bear to steer. 

• ridezzz said thank you

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 05:17 PM

I think Daniel has answered your question but I'll just add that the 317 is going to be pretty hard to steer with a loader on it. You should take a look at the steering from the front axle right back to the steering wheel. They tend to build up a lot of wear over the years and all that wear on top of the extra weight of the loader will make it a bear to steer. 

I also have a 317 with a loader that I haven't picked up, yet.

I've put flat roller bearings on the bottom of the axle where the spindle goes through it on my Dayton, and it helped, though I don't have a loader on it.  Any idea how well this will help with a FEL?

• ridezzz said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 02:42 PM

One problem with the older 300 series axles is that although they use 1" spindles the height of the axle tube that receives the spindle is short, only about 3" I think. This means they need to be kept well greased and tend to wear. If you look at a 318 front axle you'll see that JD improved it by making it much taller and also added replaceable bushings. The 318 also has power steering making it a better choice for a loader than the older tractors. 

#7 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • Member No: 11470
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:07 AM

Hi all,  thanks again for all the help on my starting trouble 

Now I'd like to ask if anyone has experience with building a loader for their garden tractor.

I'm working from a set of plans from p,f,engineering.

1) Does anyone know the hyd pump capacity of the 317

2) plans were drawn for a wide frame Cub Cadet,and have a pump bracket which also serves as the

attach points for the front braces running from the upright towers.

Wondering if the pump bracket is necesssary on the 317 , or if a bigger hydraulic pump will fit in where the existing one is mounted.

Any and all experience,thought,etc are greatly appreciated!                                                                                              

Hi,

You can look in the Gilson forum where I show how I build a FEL.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jd317