• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DougN OFFLINE  

DougN
  • Member No: 35275
  • 10 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:04 AM

I have a disc harrow for a 1956 David Bradley and its worn a fair amount and the discs on one side in particular are really loose. Its got a long bolt going through the discs with a square nut on one end but the other end is just round. How do you hold the bolt to get the nut loose?

Thanks,

Doug

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:17 AM

Try this manual. You may have to weld something on the end of the bolt.

http://amigatec.net/...ments/57536.pdf

Edited by Amigatec, June 23, 2013 - 09:18 AM.

• DougN said thank you

#3 DougN OFFLINE  

DougN
  • 10 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for the manual and the idea of welding to the end of the bolt. I should have thought of that, just weld another nut on that end of the bolt. It won't be in the way or anything. Seems a little strange they made them like that. 

Doug

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 11:51 AM

Not strange, all disc harrows are built this way, but most of them have a sqaure shank, similar to a carriage bolt under the head end. Make sure you take the nut completely off, clean the threads and sometimes you have to add another spacer washer to the threaded end. There arent a lot of thread and the nut sometimes bottoms out before the gang gets tight. If you cant get it tight enough, throw away the square nut and get a hex one. This will let  you tighten it down with an air gun.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 01:39 PM

There arent a lot of thread and the nut sometimes bottoms out before the gang gets tight. If you cant get it tight enough, throw away the square nut and get a hex one. This will let  you tighten it down with an air gun.

I was going to recommend just that, but ya beat me to it.  A good air impact makes short easy work of it!

#6 Le_Bear OFFLINE  

Le_Bear
  • Member No: 12245
  • 10 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 05:35 PM

That round end seems like a good candidate for a pipe wrench to me ; ) A pipe wrench with good clean teeth on it will bite in to just about anything

#7 DougN OFFLINE  

DougN
  • 10 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. I tried using a pipe wrench a couple times on the round end but I couldn't get a good grip on it. Looks like the nut has been on there a long time. I will try spraying it again with wd40 and let it sit for a while. If the nut were hex I think I could get it off with an impact wrench and using the pipe wrench on the other end.

Saturday was my first time using the David Bradley and I got the hang of it pretty quick. At first I had the plow angle too steep and had to keep lifting up on it. I finally got it adjusted about right and it was way less work plowing. It was a grassy field that probably had not been plowed in 20 years. Sure need the discs to cut it up, my roto tiller was not much good on it. 

Do you normally have to add some weight to the disc harrow? Or is it better to just change the angle of them on each side?

Edited by DougN, June 24, 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 12:26 AM

The more angle you put the blade at the more they cut, but also the harder they pull.  i'd start out with a little angle, and work my way up. Sod is going to need at least a couple of discings to get the roots cut off and the loose dirt up on top. If you add weight you will need stronger arms as you have to lift  at the end of the field.

• Alc and DougN have said thanks

#9 DougN OFFLINE  

DougN
  • 10 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 09:17 AM

The more angle you put the blade at the more they cut, but also the harder they pull.  i'd start out with a little angle, and work my way up. Sod is going to need at least a couple of discings to get the roots cut off and the loose dirt up on top. If you add weight you will need stronger arms as you have to lift  at the end of the field.

Thanks. I will experiment with the angle. I can imagine the added weight would make it a lot harder to turn the machine at the end of the field too.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 10:50 AM

On our large 18' disc, usually heating the big nut almost cherry red is required to get it off after such a long time.  Heating & it comes right off.

#11 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 04:34 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. I tried using a pipe wrench a couple times on the round end but I couldn't get a good grip on it. Looks like the nut has been on there a long time. I will try spraying it again with wd40 and let it sit for a while. If the nut were hex I think I could get it off with an impact wrench and using the pipe wrench on the other end.

Saturday was my first time using the David Bradley and I got the hang of it pretty quick. At first I had the plow angle too steep and had to keep lifting up on it. I finally got it adjusted about right and it was way less work plowing. It was a grassy field that probably had not been plowed in 20 years. Sure need the discs to cut it up, my roto tiller was not much good on it. 

Do you normally have to add some weight to the disc harrow? Or is it better to just change the angle of them on each side?

I'm not using it in this video but, I use a 25 lb weight lifting disc mounted to the disc which works pretty well.

• Alc and Virginia Mike have said thanks

#12 DougN OFFLINE  

DougN
  • 10 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:46 AM

On our large 18' disc, usually heating the big nut almost cherry red is required to get it off after such a long time.  Heating & it comes right off.

Good idea, I didn't think of that. Its not that big so a propane torch might do it.

#13 DougN OFFLINE  

DougN
  • 10 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:53 AM

I'm not using it in this video but, I use a 25 lb weight lifting disc mounted to the disc which works pretty well.

Nice looking machine. Looks like its doing a really good job of discing. I added about 40 pounds of weight to mine and it definitely helped.