• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 08:26 AM

Last night, I took an hour ride to go get some 3" channel, so I can make a new frame for the PK dump tractor project. I got there pretty easily, and gave the guy the $40 he wanted, he had four 8 foot sections and a 4 footer. I threw it in the back of my truck, and off I went! I went a mile down the road and when I turned onto the on ramp to get on the thruway (I-87) I down shifted, then when I went to put my foot back on the gas a few seconds later... nothing! I new something was wrong, so I put it in neutral and coasted. The next thing I noticed was that I had no power steering! So, I tried to start it again and nothing! So, I coasted down the on ramp and had just enough speed to get past the guard rail so I could pull over. Now, I was sitting on the side of the thruway with no power.

The first person I called was Bossman Harry, he told me to move the battery cables around. I did that, and nothing changed. He then told me it was likely that the alternator went out. Then, I called my Mom and she came with a brand new battery; with a new battery it would have had enough juice to last until I got home. I put the battery in... still nothing! At this point, I had been there for 2 1/2 hours and a state trooper finally showed up; he called a tow truck. I did not take long for the driver to show up, and he took it away to the tow yard.

The driver said he was a GM master tech for the electrical systems, and he said it is likely the ignition switch. I thought about it, and that makes a lot of sense. The reason is because the horn, and lights still work fine, both of those things work when the ignition is off. Everything else, has no power... just like when the key is off.

My Uncle Kevin was coming over today to help work on the '90 F250, but now we are going to work on my truck instead.

So, $40 for the steel, about $80-90 for the tow, and what ever parts I need. All in all, this steel was not worth it!

• daytime dave, hamman, HDWildBill and 6 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 08:44 AM

I've had the ignition switch go out before but never while driving. Hope it doesn't cost a lot to get it fixed. Good luck. Roger.

• larryd said thank you

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 08:49 AM

it wasn't an impound situation so why to the tow yard? or was that a repair shop you're lookin to have look at it?

other than the mechanical issues, you got more steel for your $40 than I did last weekend. I got a piece of 2X3 tube about 10' long, 8' of 2" channel, and a ~3' long piece of 2-1/2 square tube...

Edited by dodge trucker, June 23, 2013 - 08:51 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 08:49 AM

Well, look at it this way....you could have been closer to home, but possibly happened at a worse time, possibly causing an accident.  The tow bill is MUCH cheaper than a hospital bill if the time & place of incident had caused an accident.  The steel didn't cause it to happen, so it can't be blamed. The steel is the same bargain as if nothing bad had happened.  :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse, JDBrian, Titus and 6 others have said thanks

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,605 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:06 AM

Sorry about your luck Ryan

I keep a "jumper wire" under the hood of all my vehicles.   With an alligator clip on both ends to use as a "hot wire" in just such a case.  Its clips allow it to be held virtually anywhere out of the way and it has saved me a few times. 

Also, adding tow insurance to your vehicle policy is well worth it.  State Farm charges $6/year so if you need a tow more often than once every 12 years you are money ahead.  That is based on a $75 tow - which is the cheapest there is around here. 

• larryd said thank you

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:19 AM

Things happen Ryan and you never know when things will head south. Having a small tool kit and jumpers or one of those emergency batteries will serve you well.  I know this is a bit late but did you check fuses?  If the alternator died it might have taken the main fuse with it.  Let us know what you all find.

Gtractor is right adding tow insurance to your insurance policy is well worth it especially if you have an older vehicle.

• Gtractor, hamman and larryd have said thanks

#7 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 402 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:36 AM

Ryan I would seriously consider AAA. They will tow your vehicle right to your doorstep no questions asked within a 200 mile radius.. For the $100 a year membership it is a worth while investment.  A lot of otrher perks with being a AAA member.

Edited by Kyocum, June 23, 2013 - 09:37 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:45 AM

I did have some very basic tools in my truck, but there really was nothing I could have done with them.

Yes, I did check the fuses.

Sorry, he towed it to the shop, not the tow yard. Not only would it have cost triple the amount to have it brought to my house, but he had other calls and did not have time to bring it all the way there.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:47 AM

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.  It would have happened if you went for steel or a loaf of bread at the local store it seems.  I hope it is an easy repair.

#10 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:54 AM

Well, look at it this way....you could have been closer to home, but possibly happened at a worse time, possibly causing an accident.  The tow bill is MUCH cheaper than a hospital bill if the time & place of incident had caused an accident.  The steel didn't cause it to happen, so it can't be blamed. The steel is the same bargain as if nothing bad had happened.  :thumbs:

I'm thinking this is a better time then going to pick up a girlfriend and not being able to get ahold of her. 

Taking mom to the grocery store for the last few things for the big family get together and the whole family is waiting on you two.

anyhow.. i hope ya get it figured out and its a free or cheap fix..

• backwoods said thank you

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:06 AM

Wow Ryan, that's a stinker.
Sorry to hear of your issues, hope it's a quick fix.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:08 AM

AAA is a good deal, no matter what your age.  I get a 100 mile tow free of charge, among the other many benefits.  

#13 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:15 AM

ive had AAA in the past and it was well worth it. once thing even back out around here thought about getting it again

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:23 AM

ive had AAA in the past and it was well worth it. once thing even back out around here thought about getting it again

I've had it for 15 or 20 years, and worth every penny!

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:35 AM

It just occurred to me... I am going to jersey to pick "something" up on Wednesday, I would have had to go right past the guy with the steel anyway! That is ill planning on my part!