Bcs 732 + Flail Mower, Used, Good Deal?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 oronocova OFFLINE  

• Member No: 39046
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 06:35 AM

I have the opportunity to buy a BCS 732 w/ a flail mower.  I have not actually seen it yet but I am going to look at it soon.  As far as I know it has the Honda BX340 engine and has seen very light use.  If this turns out to be the case would anyone be able to say if $3500 is a fair price or not?

Thanks in advance!

• JRJ said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 07:10 AM

Welcome to GTT. I do not have the knowledge to answer your question but someone that knows will be along. Pictures and area of the country will help. Good Luck, Rick

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,119 Thanks
  • 5,669 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 07:20 AM

#4 frankD OFFLINE  

• Member No: 25281
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 02:16 PM

They are considered top of the line by many folks. I had a small one and was quite impressed. If you go to earthtoolsbcs.com you can access pricing for new 732's and implements. Hope this helps. frank

#5 shorty OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,326 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 04:42 PM

:welcometogttalk: I don't know to much about them, someone around here should. The only complaint I ever remember hearing about BCS is that with smaller wheels they will get hung up a bit easier. I hope it works out great for you.

#6 oronocova OFFLINE  

• Member No: 39046
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for the welcome :)  I have looked over them online, and it seems reasonable price wise, epsecially considering tax on a new one.  I won't get the warranty you would get with a new one however.  Guess I'll have to wait and see what it looks like this weekend.  Hopefully we can make a deal.  I'd love to hear from anyone else that is in the know still.

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,773 Thanks
  • 4,281 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 02:44 PM

I have one of the old BCS tractors that the engine went south on.  I put the adapter kit on with the dry clutch and a new B&S 9hp.  Worked out good.  Had to unhook the low oil shut down switch for tiller use and added a pint of oil extra.  The drive system is built bull strong.  They have probably changed them since mine was made but the clutch wold have a tendency to stick when not used for some time.  Also have had the PTO drive fork roll pin come out & break a couple times.  Drilled it out and put in a US Standard roll pin and no problems since.  Do a great job of tilling, my 42" bar mower will mow anything that will go between the guard points in weeds, snow thrower does a good job of getting rid of the snow up to 2'deep.  I don't think you will be sorry you every bought it.  Good luck.

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,138 Thanks
  • 2,270 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 02:57 PM

From what I see from time to time, the price, though high, isn't really out of line for these machines.  My brother used to be a BCS dealer many moons ago and, as a result, I have one that he sold to my aunt in the 70s.  Still runs strong on the original engine.  All I ever use it for is tilling.  I did replace those roll pins that were mentioned in this thread.  Not a big deal to do.  I picked up another one to flip but haven't had time to mess with it yet.  I had it running on starter fluid and it runs really smooth.  If that's any indication, I may have to keep it for a spare.  They are a very versatile machine if you are lucky enough to pick up some implements for them.  My brother still has a smaller model and the big diesel tiller that he mainly uses with the log splitter attachment.

• chieffan said thank you

#9 js5020 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7086
  • 526 Thanks
  • 661 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 06:13 PM

Hmmm, price isn't that bad nor is it a deal, in my opinion.  Personally I wouldn't buy a 732 and heres why,,, its a 2 working speed machine, slow at 1.6 mph and slower at .7mph,  and it doesn't have steering brakes although it does have a differential with the lock feature.  I personally would go with a 3 working speed tractor, much more versatile (especially if you doing a lot of mowing) and a new Grillo 107D with a new flail mower (if you even need a flail mower) isn't that much more and you get the warranty.