7 replies to this topic

#1 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 01:47 PM

First, the recoil started acting up.  I pulled it apart and it needs new dogs and also the aluminum hub that the dogs lock into to spin the engine while I pull the rope.  Good news is that presently, the hub is still available through sears parts direct, bad news is it will cost me about 50 bucks for that part, plus the dogs and I am broke right now.  So, I put on the pulley that I had bought in case I want to convert to starter/ generator system.  I made a grass screen from a flywheel screen from the top of a friends junk engine.  Wrap the rope around and it starts first pull, so for now, I am still happy with that.

A week or so back, I pulled a little cedar tree up with the tractor and had it in low range.  It stuck there so I checked the transmission oil and it was down.  I put a quart in and it shifted fine.  Then, the other day, I put the high/low shifter in neutral so I could roll it a little to check the tire size.  Today, I got on and it was now stuck in neutral.  ARGHHHH!  I bought some oil and put more in and an axle seal is leaking a LOT.  Anyway, it is still stuck in neutral, I just cant seem to get it to shift up or down.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 01:59 PM

They can rust where the pin goes in and out of the tranny. Figure out a way to get some good (not WD40) penetrating oil in there. If none available, ATF is a lot better than nothing. Let it sit for a day and try again, repeat.

I had one I had to tap, but I wouldn't do that until you've exhausted the other avenues.
  • robert_p43 said thank you

#3 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 06:56 AM

I am not sure where that pin is but my guess is it's up behind the frame near where the high/low range lever comes through and a pain in the butt to get to?

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 07:12 AM

You got it. If you look in the frame gap beside the right tire, you should see it. Can't get to it, but you can see it...

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:38 AM

I had a Craftsman do that a while back.  I used PB Blaster and worked with it for a couple of days.  I would spray it down then let it sit for a few hours then try to tap it to get it to move.  Finally got it to go in all gears.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 11:47 AM

To give you an idea,
00010162-00002.png
Look where #55 goes to the case of the tranny.
  • HDWildBill and robert_p43 have said thanks

#7 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 07:18 PM

I tried to get a peek today but the tractor is right next to a stack of pallets and I couldn't get down on the right side easily.  Looks like I'll have to roll it out in order to get a better look.  I'll let you know in a couple of days as I need to get some spray or something.  I don't think I could get any atf up under the frame without getting it dripping on my face.  Oh well, by pushing it forward, I can get under the shade of a tree too.  I't supposed to be hot and humid all week. 

#8 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 11:43 AM

Someday, when/if I get it inside to take things apart properly, I just may drop the transmission out of it and clean it up good, especially that pin.  In the meantime, I managed to get it down into low them pulled it hard up into high and will leave it there for a few days.  I need to get some acetone to mix with the ATF and I have put this little vinal tube onto a tiny funnel and can get the tube down through the slot and pour a spoonfull of the stuff onto the pin.

Thank You All again for the help!

• MH81 said thank you