• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mh1 OFFLINE  

mh1

• Member No: 3417
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 08:43 AM

I have to admit that I have been a lurker around here for several years.  I've read lots of good advice on lots of tractor issues.  But now I need some specific help.

I have a 318 that I bought used about 3 years ago and it currently has just over 800 hrs on the clock.  It has been a good grass mower but last week while mowing there was a very solid mechanical "bang".  Immediately it ran very rough on what felt like only one cylinder.  After I got it back to my shop and got it cooled off I pulled the plugs and observed that when I cranked it, one piston moved and the other did not -- probably a broken connecting rod.

I don't have the time to get into a rebuild or repower project.  I have another mower and too many other projects :)

So here are my questions:

What is the value of a 318 with a blown engine?

Should I sell it whole, part it out or haul it to the scrap metal dealer?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Mark

• Texas Deere and Horse and JRJ have said thanks

#2 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 09:27 AM

:welcome:

Condition and age determines price.  Some pics would be helpful.

I would personally sell it for a re-power.  Speaking of that - Where are you located? and I would be interested.  

Edited by Trav1s, June 22, 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 09:34 AM

First off welcome to GTtalk. 

Yep sounds like a connecting rod. I agree with Travis. Sell it for a re-power.  What motor does it have? 

Might want to look around and see if anyone in your area wants to rebuild it and see what they would charge you.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 10:35 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. Sorry to hear about your Onan taking out a rod. They are expensive to repair. 800hrs isn't a lot of hours for one of those engines. You should be able to sell it as is and not have to put any more time or money into it. They are usually in demand even with a bad engine. I can't comment on worth as it depends on where you are and what the overall condition is. 

#5 mh1 OFFLINE  

mh1

• 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the comments. I guess what I really need is some ballpark guidance on what kind of price I should ask for.  I don't know where to begin. It has (had) the later model P218G engine.

I'm in upstate South Carolina.  I'll attach a few pics.

If this turns into a for sale thread, please feel free to move it to the appropriate place.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130621_193126_526.jpg
  • IMG_20130621_193146_535.jpg
  • IMG_20130621_193219_220.jpg

#6 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 918 Thanks
  • 1,209 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 01:31 PM

If you only were closer I would like to buy your 318 that is a fine machine

• Trav1s said thank you

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 01:35 PM

Whatever you do, please don't haul to the scrapper!  No true idea as to it's worth, but I'm gonna toss out a $500 figure.  Heck, I have a good engine off a 318 just sitting, but too far a trip for me, plus I am broke! 

• jms180 said thank you

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 04:08 PM

Where in upstate South Carolina?

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 05:57 PM

Mark, First off, Welcome to GTtalk. Glad to have you come out of the shadows !! :D

I'm going to agree with Daniel, I think $500.00 is a reasonable price for the condition it appears to be in. 800 hours is not a lot of hours, surprised the engine threw a rod. By the looks of the tractor, I wonder if if over heated? Did you keep the screen clean of grass under the tractor? The 318 is a great tractor to re-power and I would look around for another engine to drop in it ad run it til it dies.I bought one about 18 monthes ago, running rough with a low hour replacement engine with deck for $600.00, but that was a great deal.

I hope this helps out !! :thumbs:

#10 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Hi,
imo the $500 number is not far off. There is one available near Indianapolis that someone has had it on c'list (and here) for $800 and no takers.
It will depend on regional values/demand and obviously how bad/quickly do you want to sell it.
I would be a buyer at $500 if it was 100 miles or less from my location. But you're not.
Chuck
  • Trav1s said thank you

#11 mh1 OFFLINE  

mh1

• 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 08:27 PM

Thank you all for the advice. I will probably put it on C'list for $500 and see where that goes.  I will also post it in the sale section here.

crittersf1 - I am near Spartanburg.  Please let me know if you might be interested and I will certainly give you first option.

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Welcome to GTTalk !  My advise is a little different , I would buy another 318 and keep this one far parts . 

#13 douglas_stone OFFLINE  

douglas_stone
  • Member No: 39535
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 01:37 AM

If you can repower it and get it functional again, by all means go ahead. If not, then turn in over to a scrap yard, that’s what I would have done. Ask a couple of junkyard owners what price it would fetch before you actually sell it. I had old farm equipment lying around and it was rusting away. I finally took it to a nearby scrap yard and all that scrap made me a good bargain. I live in the southwest and took it to the SIMS facility for metal management in Tucson Arizona. But I believe they have scrap recycling centers in North Carolina which is probably a lot closer to where you are!

#14 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 05:54 AM

Definitely a great candidate for a repower.  That deck would fetch $200 on its own.  The power steering parts are worth another $150.  You could part it and make a fair amount but it looks too nice to do that.