• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 saleen322 OFFLINE  

saleen322

• Member No: 3625
  • 18 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 01:51 PM

As I get older, I sometimes reflect on how expensive it sometimes can be to "save money."  Due to a dumb move on my part, I shorted out the charging system on my 816 with the Onan CCKA. The Onan is a fine engine but parts are harder to find and when you do find them expect to pay more than you would for a Kohler or Briggs. I think the parts to fix it up would be in the $200 range more or less. Okay so I get a complete Kohler K321 from a really nice guy and his buddy for a very fair price and I think I will do a swap. 

I hope this will help someone else doing this so here are some things I knew but due to age I sometimes untimely forget things. Well the throttle and choke cables need replaced because they are too short for the Kohler due to the different attaching points. I also forgot that the CCKA has an internal solenoid BUT the Kohler uses an external one. So because of that you have to change the battery to starter cables to match the new setup to the new external solenoid. Also the Kohler needs an external rectifier-regulator and, because of that, you have to run two AC lines to the new rectifier. I then go to hook up the coil but the ignition wire is also too short so I just ran all new wires from the dash to the motor. I painted the tractor last year and I wanted the motor to match so I cleaned/painted the motor before mounting. 

Well, alls well that ends well. The motor started right up with a new spark plug. I wanted to run it a bit to get it warm to change the oil. It ran so well that I just mowed the yard and then changed the oil. I am happy with it but you know, that seat pan is for an Onan and maybe I can find one for a Kohler for a good price....................and so it goes.......... :wave:

Engine1_zpsda12a5f6.jpg Lawn1_zpsc2706951.jpg

Edited by saleen322, June 21, 2013 - 01:52 PM.

• olcowhand, KennyP, Arti and 1 other said thanks

#2 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 04:13 PM

I have heard horror stories of trying to get a swapped engine brand on a Gravely to line up so the gears did not growl !!  :ah_shoot:

It looks like your is working great!! :thumbs:  

#3 saleen322 OFFLINE  

saleen322

• Member No: 3625
  • 18 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 05:10 PM

This was easier as it came off a Gravely with the mounting plate so the depth would be correct.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Nice job on the swap! New wiring and cables is always part of a swap!

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 07:15 PM

Looks like it turned out great! That's a really nice 816!