• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Welp,,, I just wanted all to know that I am back in good shape now,,,, I mean my 195 is,,,, hehehe,,,, What I did for my pto as I have wrote above did work out great an I did sharpin my 3 blades before I put the deck back on,, I test the pto under pressuer with cuttin some high grass an did great,,,,,  Just thought I would let all know,,, Thanks for the help guys,,,, 

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#32 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:09 PM

Great to hear success stories!  And glad if I helped!

• Russ said thank you

#33 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:15 PM

Great to hear this, Russ! Daniels' explanation on adjusting it opened my eyes on how these work!

• Russ said thank you

#34 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 03:44 AM

I don't think there is anything in the manual. That would probably be in something from the PTO manufacturer. And I haven't a clue who makes them!

Found this:
principles-of-operation3.gif

This unit pictured is a "self aligning unit" like used on vertical shafted engines, as it has 2 bearings for proper alignment. Most all on a horizontal shaft only have one bearing in the pulley.
Russ on yours , I suspect that the coil got hot from the load of tall grass and caused a bit of warpage creating drag from the "brake" side.
Personally if it were me, I would pull it off to see if the coil had been over heated and reinstall it as straight and true as possible . As I now know first hand what happens when they "crash" internally and ruin the coil .....Luckily I have spares for my rigs, but those rare 195's are a different monster.
Good luck with her, and glad to hear its working good now.
  • KennyP and Russ have said thanks

#35 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 10:28 AM

With the electric pto turned off & the brake adjusted properly, it should be hard to turn by hand, or at least restricted somewhat.  The brake does 2 things... 1: stops the pulley from "creeping", and slows the deck when shut off, 2:sets the clearance from the magnetized friction plate.  Without the brake keeping it close enough to the magnetized plate, sometimes they won't have enough magnet pull to grab the driven plate.

#36 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 03:24 PM

With the electric pto turned off & the brake adjusted properly, it should be hard to turn by hand, or at least restricted somewhat.  The brake does 2 things... 1: stops the pulley from "creeping", and slows the deck when shut off, 2:sets the clearance from the magnetized friction plate.  Without the brake keeping it close enough to the magnetized plate, sometimes they won't have enough magnet pull to grab the driven plate.

Oh ok,, I did get to cut my hole yard yesturday,, Looks very nice too,,lol,, But I am havein prob now when I flip the switch off then flip it back on then it wont come on,, But after it cools off awhile then it will come on,, I guess I am goin to have to take the pto off this time an try to see what the main prob is an try to set the gaps right for it,, Never seen one apart before an lil worry about takein it apart if I don't know what to look for,, I guess there is a 1st time for everything,,, hehehe

#37 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 04:56 PM

Likely the gap is too wide is all.  The electromagnet is almost always strongest when cold.

• Russ said thank you

#38 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Likely the gap is too wide is all.  The electromagnet is almost always strongest when cold.

Oh ok,, So all I got to do to set the right gap is do not start the motor but turn the key on,,,,,, Then set the gap at the slots around the pto an there is 3 of them,,, If this is how to do it then let me know an I will do it tomorro,,,,

#39 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 10:16 PM

Oh ok,, So all I got to do to set the right gap is do not start the motor but turn the key on,,,,,, Then set the gap at the slots around the pto an there is 3 of them,,, If this is how to do it then let me know an I will do it tomorro,,,,

No, with everything off.  Then adjust the spring loaded nuts to set the air gap between the two plates that contact when pto is on.  You do that through the slots.  Set them anywhere between .004 to .007" if you can, but even .010 should work fine.  This should cause drag on the pulley with everything turned off.  Then to make sure all is ok, with engine OFF, but pto turned ON, the pulley should then turn free & easy.

• Russ said thank you

#40 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 10:26 PM

No, with everything off.  Then adjust the spring loaded nuts to set the air gap between the two plates that contact when pto is on.  You do that through the slots.  Set them anywhere between .004 to .007" if you can, but even .010 should work fine.  This should cause drag on the pulley with everything turned off.  Then to make sure all is ok, with engine OFF, but pto turned ON, the pulley should then turn free & easy.

I will try this,, But from what I read on what u wrote it sure sounds like something is backwards on what u are sayin at the end part,,lol,, Cause I thought the pully should not beable to turn by hand with the motor off an pto switch on,,,,,, hhhhhmmmmm

#41 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 03:54 PM

I will try this,, But from what I read on what u wrote it sure sounds like something is backwards on what u are sayin at the end part,,lol,, Cause I thought the pully should not beable to turn by hand with the motor off an pto switch on,,,,,, hhhhhmmmmm

LOL.....I messed up in my explanation.  With engine OFF, but pto ON, the engine & pto should turn free of the brake plate.    With engine off, & pto also off, the driven plate should be rubbing snug against the brake.

Sorry about that!  :D

• Russ said thank you

#42 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 10:16 PM

LOL.....I messed up in my explanation.  With engine OFF, but pto ON, the engine & pto should turn free of the brake plate.    With engine off, & pto also off, the driven plate should be rubbing snug against the brake.

Sorry about that!  :D

Oh ok,, An I thought it was just me ,,,,, hehehe,,, Thanks an I will check it as soon as I can an will let ya know,,lol