• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 12:16 PM

Ok here we go,,lol,, The pully was good an free,,, then when I titein down the 4 nuts that hold the pto to the motor then I try to turn the pully by hand it its hard to turn like in the beginning,, I loosein the 4 nuts back up a lil then I can turn the pully by hand again,, So I guess this means that there is something holdin the back part of the clutch out to far,, Never took the pto off yet but looks like I mite have to,, Anybody that mite know what a man can do for this then please let me know,, Thanks,,,,,

#17 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 01:04 PM

So you're talking about the bolts that tighten the electromagnet part to the engine block?  If it has the stud type bolts with an extended threaded outer end, then those nuts (with springs under brake ring)on the outer end is what adjusts the "pto brake" & help set the air gap.  If those nuts are tightened too far, it presses the brake ring tight against the pressure plates.  Can you post a pic?  

• KennyP said thank you

#18 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 03:07 PM

Here is a pic of my pto,, I am talkin about the 4 nuts behind the 4 bolts with the springs,,lol,, Which is the plat that holds the pto to the motor,,

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130623_104138.jpg

#19 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 03:17 PM

Here is a pic of my pto,, I am talkin about the 4 nuts behind the 4 bolts with the springs,,lol,, Which is the plat that holds the pto to the motor,,

It's odd that tightening them binds stuff up, as the electromagnet that you are tightening isn't supposed to actually contact anything at all!  Could one or more of the spacers behind it been replaced with the wrong thickness, making it go a bit sideways?  That would cause a bind, as the friction plate that it magnetizes runs a close tolerance to it.

#20 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 03:29 PM

This is the way it's been since I have owned it,, I have not touch the bolts with the springs on em,, It looks like the inside part is stuck out some how,, But when I leave them 4 nuts loose about the thickness of a washer then its fine,, It engages an disengage when I flip the pto switch on an off,, But just when I titein the 4 nuts back like they was then its hard to turn the pully by hand an it's pos to be a free pully when not engage,,,

#21 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 04:22 PM

Ok, then try tightening the base nuts, then loosening the nuts with the springs by the amount you had been leaving the base loose.  Sounds like it's just a matter of the brake ring being adjusted too snug.  But with the clutch off, the pulley shouldn't be free, as the driven plate should be against the brake ring.  When the pto is on, it pulls the driven plate away from the brake ring and against the drive plate.  Those slots in the brake ring are there for setting the air gap between the plates.  With pto off, the gap between the plates should be .004 to .007".  You adjust the nuts with springs to achieve this.  You have to check clearance all around the clutch, to get the gap even the entire 360 degrees.

#22 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:28 PM

Ok, then try tightening the base nuts, then loosening the nuts with the springs by the amount you had been leaving the base loose.  Sounds like it's just a matter of the brake ring being adjusted too snug.  But with the clutch off, the pulley shouldn't be free, as the driven plate should be against the brake ring.  When the pto is on, it pulls the driven plate away from the brake ring and against the drive plate.  Those slots in the brake ring are there for setting the air gap between the plates.  With pto off, the gap between the plates should be .004 to .007".  You adjust the nuts with springs to achieve this.  You have to check clearance all around the clutch, to get the gap even the entire 360 degrees.

Wow,, Man that sure tells me everything an I sure thank you very much,, I will do this tomorro an see what happens,,,, But lets go back to the beginning,,, I never had any prob's with my pto at all untill I cut the high an wet grass for some folks an it was puttin a lot of hard work for the pto,, An I believe the pto got pretty hot till I backed off an let the blades pick the speed back up,, I hope everybody understands what I an talkin about,,lol,, So I will try the adjustment you told me an see how it does,, I was thinking that I could put washers behind the base plate then I could titein the 4 nuts down tite, But didn't know if I would hurt anything,, But then again maybe when the pto got hot then it knocked the clutch out of alien ???

#23 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Welp,,,,, I tryed to set the clutch on the pto like I was told,, As u can see in the pic on here the left side of the filler gauge it the gap of .004 to .007  an thats what the pto is pos to be set by,,,,, I did set that way but it was hard to turn the pully like the begging of this pos,,, Now on the right side of the gauge the gap of .023 to .027 an that is what mine is set at now an can turn the pully freely,,, If I titein the bolts with the springs any more at all then it will be to tite to turn pully by hand unless u put some good presser in ya hand,,lol,, Can anybody else put a pic of thepto of there's on here like the way I have so I can see if there is a differents or not,, I can't find anything to show the pto taken apart,,,, 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130624_205633.jpg
  • IMG_20130624_202329.jpg
  • IMG_20130624_202315.jpg

#24 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 04:26 AM

Thats the brake side , when the clutch is turned on it should have a gap maybe .010-.015" and none when off .But only if you want it to stop the implement when turned off. Setting the actual clutch gap has to be done with shims on some models and others it is factory set by aa special turned bushing adapter internally between the pulley bearing and magnet drive plate, (not the coil, this is supposed to be bolted to the block in some fashion) it is the part keyed to the crank.
  • Russ said thank you

#25 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 11:14 PM

This is what I did so far,,, I titein down the 4 nuts that hold the pto plate to the motor,,,, (pully is hard to turn by hand) now I loosen the nuts that has the springs on em untill I can turn the pully easy then I gap where the slotes are which there is 3 of em an it's all even,,, I gap it where the pully turns easy,,, I started the motor an flip on the pto switch an it works like it's pos to,, When the weather gets better I will put the deck back on an make sure that the pto will work right when engage with the mowein deck,,  I still can't understand what has happen to the pto in the 1st place but will let all know how it's doing after I use it soon,,,,, 

• olcowhand said thank you

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,720 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 05:39 AM

I hope all goes well, Russ.

• Russ said thank you

#27 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:12 AM

I hope all goes well, Russ.

Yeap me too KennyP I hope to find out today some times or this eve,,,,

• KennyP said thank you

#28 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:15 AM

Hey KeenyP is there anything like diagrams of the elc. pto where they have pic of it taken apart for the 195 ???? An show the names of each part for the pto

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,720 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 03:43 PM

I don't think there is anything in the manual. That would probably be in something from the PTO manufacturer. And I haven't a clue who makes them!

Found this:

principles-of-operation3.gif

• skyrydr2 and Russ have said thanks

#30 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 05:13 PM

Ok Thanks again KennyP I am studding this now lol,, Just trying to find out why my pto titein up on me like it did,, Just been wonderin if something could have gotten hot an swelled up some how cause thats what it seems like it did,,