• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 07:49 AM

Wow this is the 1st prob I have came across while owning my 195,, I was moweing grass with it an went thru some high an thick grass an was takein my time goin thru it then I started to get a feeling that I have never felt before,, Come to find out my elc.pto in front is havein a hard time turnning now,, It still turns an works but I feel it's to tight,, Ain't the elc pto pos to spin freely when not engage ?? I not look into it yet but have too my mowein deck off cause I usein my 195 for other stuff now but not usein the elc pto on front,, Can anybody tell me if they are repairable ?? I sure hope so cause I see the prices of new one an WOW,, lol,, I did try to turn it with my hand an it will turn but pretty tite,,,

• boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,531 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 07:58 AM

Check to see if something is jamming it. It should be fairly easy to remove and inspect. It should be repairable if something is wrong because I've seen components for sale. Good Luck, Rick

• Russ said thank you

#3 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 08:10 AM

From what I have seen so far when I look at it thats I didn't see nothing that would have jam it but have not took it off yet,, Hopeing I will be able to do that tonight

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 08:14 AM

I was beginning to wonder where you've been Russ!  Good hearing from you.  I was at London last week.  One of these days I need to PM for your address & stop by when I'm that way.

With the belt off the pto clutch with clutch NOT turned on, the pto clutch pulley should turn slick & easy.  If not, the bearing is going out and needs replaced right away.  

• Russ said thank you

#5 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 09:28 AM

I was beginning to wonder where you've been Russ!  Good hearing from you.  I was at London last week.  One of these days I need to PM for your address & stop by when I'm that way.

With the belt off the pto clutch, the pto clutch pulley should turn slick & easy.  If not, the bearing is going out and needs replaced right away.  

Yea it's been awhile but I am still around,,lol,, Swing by anytime you are in town,,, An I am hopeing that it is just the bearing an hope I can fix it myself,, I can use a press for em if they have to be press in an out,,

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 01:31 PM

I don't know about the Ford. But suspect they are all about the same.

On my JD 318 there is a disc that the magnet pulls in.  That the air Gap should be between .014-018.

If they have set a while the disc can stick and need reset. A feeler guage and socket wrench and there should be slots in the housing to get the guage in.

I did have the front bearing go out.  The dealer wanted to sell the whole clutch but they do list a bearing on the front that can be replaced. I orderd the bearing and got it in a couple days. As I recall just the front half has to come off?

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 21, 2013 - 01:34 PM.

• Russ said thank you

#7 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 02:05 PM

I had one get ruined on me, get to that front bearing ASAP or it can ruin the crank and you may never get it off with out cutting it to pieces... Also check the disc and it's retaining springs/ straps one may be broken causing it to get all wonky and out of true. And lastly make sure the coil plate it not loose causing the coil to bind in the clutch housing.
  • Russ said thank you

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 07:09 PM

The one in my 314 rubs when disengaged.It was way out of spec on the gap. The strap springs were weak or collapsed so I had to shim it in order to get the gap within spec. Because of that it rubs when disengaged. It's not really an issue in my case as long as it spins freely when engaged. You never know what the history is on something like this. It's best to disassemble it for an inspection and replace the bearing anyway while it's apart. Bearings are cheap but these clutches are crazy expensive to buy new and getting harder to find used. 

• Russ said thank you

#9 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hey thanks guys,,, I won't be able to take the pto off till about saturday night or sunday but when I do get it off I sure will let ya'll know what I found out about it,, I am glad that I can still turn it with my hand but its tite,, I can feel that the bearing is what the prob is cause of the roughnest of how it turns,, I pos pic too,,,,,,, all ways got to have pic cause if we don't then everybody just flat out goes crazy,,,,, lol

• olcowhand said thank you

#10 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 06:19 PM

Dose anyone know if I can still use my 195 while the pto is off?? Just wonder if I could or not,, Goin to get er off tonight or sunday,,

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 06:26 PM

Russ, There should be no reason that I know of why you can't use the GT for other stuff with the clutch off.

• Russ said thank you

#12 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 06:28 PM

Russ, There should be no reason that I know of why you can't use the GT for other stuff with the clutch off.

Thats great news for me,,lol,, Thanks,,,

#13 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:15 AM

Would it hurt anything to flip the switch on for the elc pto whith out a belt on it,, I took the center bolt out the the 4 nuts on the plate an when I tryed to pop the pto off am

n seen the pully turn by it self so I turned it by hand an it turns free as can be,, I put the center bolt back in an titein it up an pully still turns free,, Took my air hose an blew out dirt an thats all that came out,, The bearing feel good an smooth as I turn the pully by hand an don't feel like the bearing is bad at all,,,, I didn't want to have to put my moweing deck back on yet just to try the pto so thats why I was wondering is I could run it with out a belt on it,, I have never turn it on with out a belt,,

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:22 AM

Would it hurt anything to flip the switch on for the elc pto with out a belt on it?

Long as that retaining bolt is tight, flip the switch!  Check the deck now.....bet something is tight with it.

• Russ said thank you

#15 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 11:15 AM

Ok will do,, The deck is fine,, I know for sure that it was a rob with the pto cause I couldn't turn the pully that good with the belt off,, I been thinkin on this an maybe when I had to cut some high grass last week an it was a lil wet then maybe it just got the pto clutch to hot ??  I will go back out an start er up an flip on the pto an see how it does,,,,