9 replies to this topic

#1 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• Member No: 1521
  • 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted November 08, 2010 - 08:40 PM

Hello All,

I just finished hooking up my snow thrower on my MF-12 for the first time this weekend and found out I'm missing a couple of parts. Does anyone know where to get the two mounting tabs for the sides of the front grill that the helper chains pass through. I also need a set of helper springs/chains and the bolt for the mid mount lift extension. Any help in sourcing the parts would be great or some ideas of how to improvise some alternatives would be appreciated.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted November 09, 2010 - 08:23 AM

Welcome,

There are a lot of knowledgeable Massey guys on here that should be able to help you out shortly.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 09, 2010 - 08:33 AM

Jts brazeau:welcometogttalk:

Like Bolens 1000 said,there is a lot of knowledgeable people here.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 09, 2010 - 05:52 PM

First off, welcome to GTtalk.

I have two words that will fix all your needs: Hardware Store.

Seriously though that is all you need. For the lift bolt you can use a long 1/2" bolt or 1/2" all thread. Tractor Supply sells assortments of springs, you will also need some chain. I made the tabs that mount on the side of the grill out of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum angle. I cut a notch with a 1/8" grinding wheel for the chain link to fit in to and I also bent it upwards just a little to keep the chain from being able to pop off easily.

I attached a couple of pictures, hopefully they help.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1316[1]..jpg
  • DSC_1315[1]..jpg

#5 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted November 09, 2010 - 08:46 PM

NUTNDUN,

Thanks so much for the suggestions about picking up aluminum for the tabs. I kinda thought I might end up fabbing them. I had a question about the midpoint lift bolt suggestion. I'm trying to figure out how to secure it in the extension tube? Does it just ride in the tube and use a nut to keep the depth adjustment in place. You must have to bend the top to fit the lift linkage. Maybe an off the shelf L-shaped bolt.....

Cheers,
Jeff

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 09, 2010 - 08:53 PM

Yep, you got it. It is just a bolt or all thread that is bent in an L shape and the threaded end just rides inside the tube. Then have a nut and washer on the lift bolt to adjust the lift height but there isn't much room. It will take some trial and error so plan on having to make at least two lift bolts.
  • JTS BRAZEAU said thank you

#7 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 06:32 PM

I spent the afternoon working on the snowblower setup and I think I have a really great fix for those that are missing the lift bolt.

I took a 1/2" x 4" long U-Bolt and cut one side off and it fits and works perfectly and only takes about 5 minutes to make! I also found some predrilled aluminum channel that I was able to quickly cut into tabs for the helper springs. We'll see how the aluminum holds up and is hopefully not too light?

Here's some pics to show the results.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN6070.jpg
  • DSCN6083.jpg
  • DSCN6082.jpg
  • DSCN6072.jpg
  • DSCN6076.jpg
  • DSCN6074.jpg

#8 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 07:39 PM

[quote name='JTS BRAZEAU'] I took a 1/2" x 4" long U-Bolt and cut one side off and it fits and works perfectly and only takes about 5 minutes to make! I also found some predrilled aluminum channel that I was able to quickly cut into tabs for the helper springs.

Thats some good thinking it's nice to hear and see easy ways to do stuff. How's the Diesel motor working out for you.Larry

#9 farmgineer OFFLINE  

farmgineer

• Member No: 1031
  • 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 04, 2010 - 10:56 PM

These tips are great. I was stuck mounting my Snapper 4250 blower onto my 1600 today because of missing lift springs and then I found this post. I will be running to the hardward store as well. I think the solution will apply equally well to the lift springs I am missing on my manual lift tiller that I didn't get going the past summer. Can't wait to get the blower going!

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 08:58 AM

These tips are great. I was stuck mounting my Snapper 4250 blower onto my 1600 today because of missing lift springs and then I found this post. I will be running to the hardward store as well. I think the solution will apply equally well to the lift springs I am missing on my manual lift tiller that I didn't get going the past summer. Can't wait to get the blower going!

If your local hardware store doesn't have the right spring, Tractor Supply has a pretty nice selection. Just thought I'd mention that.