• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 oldman OFFLINE  

oldman
  • Member No: 31838
  • 11 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 09:13 PM

I bought a 1982 317 with no engine. I have found a Kohler Command 20 in good shape. My question is with the Kohler Command will the exhaust pipes be facing towards the front of the tractor? I am a little confused about the difference in the two engines as far as engine rotation. The more I think about it the more it confuses me. 

Help,

Oldman

#2 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 10:17 PM

I bought a 1982 317 with no engine. I have found a Kohler Command 20 in good shape. My question is with the Kohler Command will the exhaust pipes be facing towards the front of the tractor? I am a little confused about the difference in the two engines as far as engine rotation. The more I think about it the more it confuses me. 

Help,

Oldman

I have a 317 with a Kohler Magnum 18 in it. The engine sits in the tractor backwards. The driveline connects to the front (fan side) of the engine, and the PTO connects to the crankshaft.

The exhaust pipes and muffler are at the front of the tractor... there's a heat shield between the muffler and the engine.

Take pictures of your project--I'd like to see how things go together.

Utah Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, June 20, 2013 - 10:18 PM.

#3 oldman OFFLINE  

oldman
  • 11 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 10:28 PM

I appreciate your response. I do not know why this was so confusing to me.

I will get started on it this week-end and I will post some photographs.Did you install the Magnum or was it already in the tractor when you got it?

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 05:28 AM

I'd be interested in your repower as well. I have a 79 with a series 1 engine that is still running pretty well but it's days are numbered. The flywheel side drives the hydro and the crank drives the PTO as Smitty said. You will need some sort of adapter to connect the flywheel to the drive shaft.

• oldman said thank you

#5 oldman OFFLINE  

oldman
  • 11 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 07:54 AM

As soon as I get started I will post pictures. Thanks for answering.

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 09:31 AM

I appreciate your response. I do not know why this was so confusing to me.

I will get started on it this week-end and I will post some photographs.Did you install the Magnum or was it already in the tractor when you got it?

It was already in the tractor when I bought it (last week!!)  It fits very well, looks like OEM.  The only thing I noticed was a slight notching of the frame (about the size of a dime) to keep the stud on the starter from hitting the frame.

Regards,

Smitty

• oldman said thank you

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 10:09 AM

I'd be interested in your repower as well. I have a 79 with a series 1 engine that is still running pretty well but it's days are numbered. The flywheel side drives the hydro and the crank drives the PTO as Smitty said. You will need some sort of adapter to connect the flywheel to the drive shaft.

I'm not positive, but the Command 20 may have the bolt pattern to use the old flywheel adapter from the KT17-- would save from having to "roll your own".

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, June 21, 2013 - 10:10 AM.

• JDBrian and oldman have said thanks