Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Relationship Between Amf And Massey Ferguson?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Okay fellas, the similarities of the AMF tractors and Massey's #7,8,10,12,14,and 16 are very close.......who made them? Did Massey make them for AMF or did AMF make them for Massey???? Those AMF tractor seem to be pretty rare......I've only seen pictures of them!? I'd like a history lesson! Thanks Luke

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 08:57 PM

There will be others that can fill in a lot of gaps. But back in the 70s Massey Ferguson had a huge factory facility ( about two blocks long) on Bell Avenue just off Fluer Drive in Des Moines, Iowa. I do not remember if AMF was in part of that facility or at another location.
I am sure that AMF made both companies Garden Tractors. And I am pretty sure they made smaller runs for some hardware store chains.
Growing up in Newton about 45 miles from Des Moines, during the time AMF was going strong. Their products were quite common in this area. I have not seen one for a good many years though.

Incidently that facility is broken down into suites that house many different companies now.
Heck the parking lot alone Is bigger than most factory grounds.
For about 5 yrs I worked about 8 blocks west of Fluer Drive on Bell Avenue and drove by that building 2-3 times a day.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 20, 2013 - 08:59 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#3 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 10:02 PM

I believe another tractor was made too. I remember the colors were blue and white.

I have talked to some folks over in the Des Moines area which is about 4 hours away. Apparently, there were some MF10 tractors made in MF industrial yellow for in plant use. I have heard the same story twice and have seen pics, wish I could verify this.

#4 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 06:17 PM

The Duro company made the yellow 7 and 8 horse Massey executives in 63-65?, the Badger MFG made the first of the MF series, but one year only the 1966 MF10, they could not handle production numbers Massey wanted so Massey bought the design and took it to AMF in 1967. I talked to the guy at Hesston who owns Massey a few years ago when I went to Hesston Kansas to get the serial number info you see on the site today. AMF was allowed to produce their own tractor but ONLY with sheet metal and color variations. The AMF run ended in the beginning of 1976 with the last AMF built Massey MF16 coming off the line in July, other models had ceased production. Massey had already entered into a partner ship with Snapper to build the 1450/1655 tractors and the first ones arrived at dealerships in early fall of 1976 sold as 1977 models. Massey's agreement with Snapper was the same as AMF only Snapper retained the right to use Snapper red, but also had to use Snapper white for the wheels, also both companies Snapper and AMF weren't able to produce their own models for 3 years after production. I believe Massey stopped their production on the 1450/1650/1655/1855 by 1980-81 while Snapper continued to build and badge a 1650/1655/1855. I think Massey was dormant for a lawn tractor until 1985 when they struck a deal with Ingersoll to produce 100, 200, and 300 series tractors that were based on the same models as the Case/Ingersoll Models at the time, just different sheet metal and color. This arrangement only lasted a couple of years when Massey made their partnership with simplicity, which I believe still exist today, and BTW, Simplicity bought Snapper

#5 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:05 AM

The Duro company made the yellow 7 and 8 horse Massey executives in 63-65?, the Badger MFG made the first of the MF series, but one year only the 1966 MF10, they could not handle production numbers Massey wanted so Massey bought the design and took it to AMF in 1967. I talked to the guy at Hesston who owns Massey a few years ago when I went to Hesston Kansas to get the serial number info you see on the site today. AMF was allowed to produce their own tractor but ONLY with sheet metal and color variations. The AMF run ended in the beginning of 1976 with the last AMF built Massey MF16 coming off the line in July, other models had ceased production. Massey had already entered into a partner ship with Snapper to build the 1450/1655 tractors and the first ones arrived at dealerships in early fall of 1976 sold as 1977 models. Massey's agreement with Snapper was the same as AMF only Snapper retained the right to use Snapper red, but also had to use Snapper white for the wheels, also both companies Snapper and AMF weren't able to produce their own models for 3 years after production. I believe Massey stopped their production on the 1450/1650/1655/1855 by 1980-81 while Snapper continued to build and badge a 1650/1655/1855. I think Massey was dormant for a lawn tractor until 1985 when they struck a deal with Ingersoll to produce 100, 200, and 300 series tractors that were based on the same models as the Case/Ingersoll Models at the time, just different sheet metal and color. This arrangement only lasted a couple of years when Massey made their partnership with simplicity, which I believe still exist today, and BTW, Simplicity bought Snapper

#6 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:08 AM

Thank you OkieGT! That's a great breakdown of the history of Massey lawn and garden tractors!

#7 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:45 AM

Thank you OkieGT! That's a great breakdown of the history of Massey lawn and garden tractors!

If anyone wants to add to this or point an error please do so, Thanks Luke, for some reason I remember much of what I read