• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Today I cut down two decent size ash trees; and I used the '75 1614 PK to drag the logs to an area where I could cut them up. There was one time I had two chains hooked together, since I could not get the tractor close enough. I pulled the log the length of one chain and backed up, so I could take one chain out of the equation and have better maneuverability. Well, when I needed the chain again... I could not find it! Even though I have two milk crates full of chain, I obviously wanted to find that one. It only took a minute or two before I found it, but it got me thinking. Why not paint the chains? They do not have to be perfect, I know it will wear off eventually. Have any of you guys painted you chains, and with what? How long has the paint stayed on for you?

It is not uncommon for me to walk through the woods and find a chain sitting on the ground, where I left it a few days, or even weeks before. I also would not doubt that still have a couple sitting in the woods... probably hidden under a pricker bush by now.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 06:15 PM

That sounds like a good idea to me, i would think you would need to dip the chain is something to remove any kind of oil-grease and similar such animals so the  paint would stick better. I don't think I would use anything expensive, maybe a couple of spray cans in the bright orangee.

Dick

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 06:20 PM

That sounds like a good idea to me, i would think you would need to dip the chain is something to remove any kind of oil-grease and similar such animals so the paint would stick better. I don't think I would use anything expensive, maybe a couple of spray cans in the bright orangee.

Dick

I was thinking maybe a brush on would stay on better?

If I do paint them, I was going to drag them around the gravel road next to my house; I have heard of people doubt that to clean the rust off of them

#4 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 06:57 PM

I don't paint mine, but a friend of mine painted his chains orange. With spay paint. Mainly so if they are borrowed they won't get mixed up with anyone else's. He is the only one I know with orange chain. Even with dragging them around. The paint should stay on for a long time.

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 06:58 PM

An old timer (logger) that I knew used to paint his log chains bright orange. I'm sure Harry never lost a chain (or anything else) in his life!

Probably a neon orange would work great!

• Alc said thank you

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 07:16 PM

What are you shooting for here?

Spring, Summer, Fall, or winter colors on the chain?

I guess, that depends on when you think you might stumble upon it.

The way I look at it myself, is that the chain, is a vital tool to the operation.

Much like a carpenter clips his tape measure to his belt, the chain will be

put back where it belongs when I'm done with it.

I know I'm anal, but I haven't had to buy a chain in a long time, unless I broke one.

#7 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,656 Thanks
  • 1,740 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 07:17 PM

I've painted some of mine fluorescent orange.  Easy to find.   I use a log chain (with an old SMV sign hanging in the middle) for a gate.

I can see it from the road  300 yards away.  Always look when I drive by to see if it's still up.  Rick

#8 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 07:27 PM

You can paint them all ya want, but when you leave them lay and the weeds grow up, good luck finding them. Pick them up as ya use them. If you don't you risk loosing them.

Maybe ya need a chain box on the PK to put them in when using that. Then they are with the tractor.

Edited by Kurtee, June 20, 2013 - 07:30 PM.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#9 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 07:45 PM

I painted my chains. Red for the 5/16" and orange for the 3/8". My brother was very upset! Waste of time he said! But, I never regretted it! The paint wore off pretty fast from the chains. But the hooks still have it.

I'm always digging rocks. And, a rust colored chain gets lost pretty darn quick in the brown dirt!

It's about time to paint then again. By the way, I like to paint all my garden tools some bright color!

Joe

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 08:03 PM

Its hard to paint a chain,too many irregular surfaces. You might want to get a gallon of paint and dip them in the bucket.

#11 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Powder coat.

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 08:38 PM

I am not worried at all about looks; I was just going to hang them up and run down it once with a paint brush. What ever gets missed... Oh well! I know it won't stay on forever, so I don't want to miticulisly paint every link of every chain.

#13 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 10:06 PM

painted all of my chain bright yellow

my grandfather paint a little yellow now most of his tools - so that he new his tools from my dads when we lived on the farm

just hang them up and spray paint them

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 07:17 AM

Did the dip process on some decent paint with hardener once. (Mixed it and discovered they ordered the wrong stuff)
That paint is still on there in places. They are chains for the trailer for the big tractors, so not outside in the dirt, but they still get abused.

#15 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • Member No: 35630
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 12:34 AM

I painted the hooks on mine with that "tool handle" spray paint, it holds up well...sorta on the subject, but I was in wally world the other day and saw a camo poulan chainsaw! I've had a hard time spotting my Husky in the brush...I don't understand the theroy behind that one,lol.

• MH81 said thank you