• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ajs96 OFFLINE  

ajs96
  • Member No: 37285
  • 14 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:35 PM

I live about 30 minutes Jerry Frank and i couldn't resist the deal he was offering on it.  I noticed a picture of this setup in one of the sales brochures i downloaded from here...and of course Jerry just happened to have a new one in his shop.

I really like it so far, it''s quite unique and really can be used for a variety of things.  It only took about 5 minutes to change out the bucket and move the cylinders.  It felt a little strange to put the brand new blade on the well broken in 1614.  With down pressure i was getting a good 3-5 inches cutting penetration into some very tough, rocky, and root infested soil.

I think i will fine tune a few things on the setup, but overall i think it's really creative and practical.

IMG_2411sm.jpg

IMG_2406sm.jpg

IMG_2405sm.jpg

• hamman, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:44 PM

It looks great on there! I bet it will work great for making tall snow piles as well! Congrats on a great attachment!

• larryd said thank you

#3 ajs96 OFFLINE  

ajs96
  • 14 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:00 PM

My Pennsylvania days are far behind me...my snow totals are about 3" every three years now here in Texas so I'll have to keep finding other reasons to justify it.
  • larryd said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:12 PM

Glad you like it . I have the same blade set-up on my 2418 and tell anyone that has a fel to see if they can make something like that bade for theirs . Your right that they aren't very common .I can't remember seeing another other then mine .  I didn't own mine since new so maybe you can help , does the blade lock in position on those  notches when angling ? 

• larryd said thank you

#5 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:22 PM

That is a great looking attachment! Since 99.9% of your use will be dirt, maybe you could fab a toothbar to replace the cutting edge.

A torch cut cutting edge would really make the thing have some bite!!

Kinda like the toothbar on this bucket. It is just a torch cut cutting edge.

DSC_00131024x681.jpg

Scaled down a little, of course!!

Then it would work like a giant rake, also. 

It is way better than using your boot!!  :ah_shoot:

:D

• larryd said thank you

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:35 PM

Glad you like it . I have the same blade set-up on my 2418 and tell anyone that has a fel to see if they can make something like that bade for theirs . Your right that they aren't very common .I can't remember seeing another other then mine . I didn't own mine since new so maybe you can help , does the blade lock in position on those notches when angling ?

I have seen a few others online, they are deffinetly uncommon though. The notches do not lock in. The notches are there because the company used the same blade that was used for the normal plows, this way they only had to make a different frame, and not an entirely different plow blade also.
  • Alc and larryd have said thanks

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:37 PM

My Pennsylvania days are far behind me...my snow totals are about 3" every three years now here in Texas so I'll have to keep finding other reasons to justify it.

A couple minutes after I posted, it occurred to me that you said you where 30 minutes from Jerry... And I know he is in Texas! :D
  • larryd said thank you

#8 ajs96 OFFLINE  

ajs96
  • 14 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 10:09 PM

Ryan is spot on on his explanation of the notches on the blade. I looked at the frame that attaches to the loader and actually laughed a little bit, not in a bad way...it's just that it looked like a creative guy in a garage grabbed some 5/16 steel scraps and "made it happen." The way the tab holds the blade looks a bit comical.

My one beef with the setup is the slop on down force with the frame pivoting on the loader arms. I'll be doing a bit of welding to remedy that.
  • Alc and larryd have said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 05:26 AM

My one beef with the setup is the slop on down force with the frame pivoting on the loader arms. I'll be doing a bit of welding to remedy that.

After years of use mine was very sloppy , I made a temp fix by using 2 large C-clamps to keep the plow frame  tight to the loader arms , I was thinking just using a U bolt on each side.

• larryd said thank you

#10 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 09:50 AM

Real nice attachment and great find

larryd

#11 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 10:44 AM

Very nice! That'll be a handy attachment and yes, Jerry's supply is the ultimate candy store for these machines.

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 11:10 AM

Where is this Jerry at in TEXAS? I need to go by and see him sometime.

#13 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 11:20 AM

Man, gives me ideas.

I'm curious though, looks to have only one set of lines controlling both cylinders?  How does that work for tilting AND angling? maybe I'm not seeing something in the pics.

#14 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 12:03 PM

I have the same question as TAHOE but after looking again, it appears that the blade frame won't roll forward anyway due to the way the C channel lays against the back side of the loader arms. How is it supposed to roll forward? I'm puzzled.

#15 ajs96 OFFLINE  

ajs96
  • 14 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 01:08 PM

The blade has up/down with the loader arms and right/left with one of the bucket tilt cylinders.  

The right side bucket tilt cylinder is locked out on a bracket to isolate it.  

The spring trip mechanism is locked in/out by the large pins at the bottom of the inner ribs on the blade vertical spines...they can be seen in the one picture just above the dark looking pivot pin