• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,194 Thanks
  • 29,684 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:43 PM

I'd either keep it, or let you ship it down to me.  Heck, I'll even pay the shipping!  :smilewink:   Sure would be better than chucking a valve in a drill & grinding it against a bench grinder like I've done many times.  Now I chuck the valves in my lathe, then clamp my dremel with a carbide stone to my tool rest.

• CRFarnsworth and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,455 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:45 PM

I have the same machine. It is very handy for small valve grinding jobs. My machine came with a flat belt on the grinder and a "v" belt on the valve head. An "o" ring probably won't work for long as they are too soft. I would go to NAPA or other parts store and ask them what they have. You will find that the longer you have this machine the more you will use it. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, June 19, 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:56 PM

Ryan you keep going and you will have quite a shop! In fact you will probably have to build an new one or add on the existing one! :poke:

I'd fix it up, down you road you might be glad you did.

As far as I am concerned, I have already outgrown my "shop." I always call it a garage, and that is what it is, but a SHOP is what I really NEED! My garage is only 14 feet by 24 feet and the floor is not even flat!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#19 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 02:30 AM

Ok guys, sounds like I should keep this as a valve grinder!
I like the idea of using an O-ring for a belt! However, I still need the belt that goes from the motor to the grinding stone's shaft. HERE is one that is listed on craigslist. It is almost the same as mine, but it has a few differences. Is there anything I could use as a replacement belt for that? I don't know where I could get something like that.

The link I posted has the proper belts for that machine.

#20 pharmer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 05:59 AM

I had 3 valve grinders over the last 30 years. I wish I still had one now. The price is right. I would keep it.

#21 LilysDad ONLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,224 Thanks
  • 7,456 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 07:25 AM

Okay, I'll be the spoil sport. How many valves have you had to grind so far Ryan? A valve grinder will be like a rototiller; you'll use it once a year and it will sit.

What else can you use it for? A can opener? A pencil sharpener? If you get the dough hook attachment, they're better than a KitchenAid mixer.

Now if you had an engine lathe, you can use that for a lot!

#22 pharmer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 05:46 PM

Ryan is still young. He may want to get into rebuilding more engines in the future. You're right about an engine lathe though. If you have the room for it keep it . By the way , I use my tiller throughout the growing season for weed control. It sure beats doing by hand.
  • Amigatec said thank you