• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 minimac1010 OFFLINE  

minimac1010
  • Member No: 38583
  • 3 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Hi heres my mostly finished sears st16. It runs drives mows and im not to sure if its doser blade works. (I dont have it yet) I was wondering if any one had an idea i should do the paint in im thinking of redoing the paint on it. Also im looking for some parts for it. Parts like tires wights, chains, carburetor bowl and springs, and a good fuel gauge. Other than that opinions are welcome on how I should color and and body work as well.DSC07383.JPG DSC07382.JPG DSC07381.JPG

• hamman, Dieselcubmike and JRJ have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:35 PM

That looks like a sturdy tractor.

I've got your carburetor bowl if I see correctly that you have a Tecumseh with a Walbro or Tecumseh series carb.  Springs I can find if you read me a model number.  I can cross the Sears engine number to Tecumseh.

Ben W.

• minimac1010 said thank you

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:39 PM

It looks VERY complete and intact.
The front end isn't all broken up.

As for the carb, if its missing a bunch of parts, you might want to contact one of our site sponsors or look into an aftermarket replacement carb.

Nice deck, the dozer blade isn't hard to put on... As for weights, I think you might want to keep your eyes open locally and maybe even make a friend at the local scrap yard (beg them to watch for you on incoming units)
Filling the tires with windsheild washer fluid is popular, beet juice and antifreeze are too.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:02 PM

Welcome to the forum! That is an excellent looking survivor you have there. I wouldn't paint it as yet, but if so, I would stay with original colors.

#5 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Hi there and welcome! :wave:

#6 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,658 Thanks
  • 1,740 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:11 PM

:welcome: Glad you joined us . Good luck with your Sears.  Rick

#7 Golden Hurricane OFFLINE  

Golden Hurricane
  • Member No: 38187
  • 16 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:25 PM

Welcome Minimac1010...and you have a fine machine there! I recently bought a 1977 Sears GT 16/6 and it is very similar to your unit. Your gas tank is mounted right behind the motor whereas my tank is mounted under the tractor seat. As for repainting your tractor...that is my plan as well (to paint mine, not yours...). Since I am an avid Tulsa Golden Hurricane fan my plan is to paint the GT our school colors: gold, red & blue. I have been thinking about a gold hood, red engine (and everything that turns) with a blue frame. Oh, I will paint the wheels gold as well. That's the current plan. I respect people who paint tractors exactly like the original unit but I just want to break out and do something different. Let's stay in touch with our units...lots of nice folks on this forum & they are always willing to help others! Welcome aboard...

#8 minimac1010 OFFLINE  

minimac1010
  • 3 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 06:29 PM

MH81 why would some one but washer fluid in the tire instead of air (Im just a little curious)

#9 Golden Hurricane OFFLINE  

Golden Hurricane
  • 16 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 06:37 PM

The washer fluid keeps the tires transparent! :dancingbanana: Just kidding! Actually, it adds weight to the tractor at the lowest possible point which can greatly increase traction. Other methods work but have some drawbacks. The washer fluid does not damage the tire.

• MH81 and minimac1010 have said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 06:44 PM

Welcome Minimac1010...and you have a fine machine there! I recently bought a 1977 Sears GT 16/6 and it is very similar to your unit. Your gas tank is mounted right behind the motor whereas my tank is mounted under the tractor seat. As for repainting your tractor...that is my plan as well (to paint mine, not yours...). Since I am an avid Tulsa Golden Hurricane fan my plan is to paint the GT our school colors: gold, red & blue. I have been thinking about a gold hood, red engine (and everything that turns) with a blue frame. Oh, I will paint the wheels gold as well. That's the current plan. I respect people who paint tractors exactly like the original unit but I just want to break out and do something different. Let's stay in touch with our units...lots of nice folks on this forum & they are always willing to help others! Welcome aboard...

I just moved out of Tulsa, but I can see where you are coming from!

#11 minimac1010 OFFLINE  

minimac1010
  • 3 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 06:53 PM

O ok that sounds good but my tires have air beads in them and my hood could use some repair so im wondering if any has any ideas because my uncle who gave it to me did a little repair himself and i was wondering what could i do outer than make my mower not run rich is how do I make it so i dont have all the black suet all over my pulley shield. Also heres a few more pics of the tractor its self if anyone could point out what else could be fixed please let me know (also it sat in a bar for a while when my uncle couldn't get the starter to work. Thats one of the reasons its in good shape right now. Also any ideas on how to un bend a bent rim. Also looks like one my governors the one in the pic is sticking on full speed how would i fix that.

Thanks,

Minimac1010DSC07393.JPG DSC07394.JPG DSC07385.JPG DSC07386.JPG DSC07387.JPG DSC07388.JPG DSC07389.JPG DSC07390.JPG DSC07391.JPG DSC07392.JPG

Edited by minimac1010, June 20, 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 10:57 PM

The little bend that I think I see in the rim is not an issue and will be more trouble than it's worth to fix.

The gov linkage should be there when shut down, assuming it will work correctly at fire up.

I would drain all the gas you can from the system and run a small amount of gas, heavy with your favorite cleaner thru the unit.  The soot is the system running rich or burning oil, but you won't know for sure until she is up and running.

The unit had a 3 point or rear weight at one point, might ask Uncle if it's still around.

• Golden Hurricane said thank you

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 08:24 AM

Looks like you have a pretty complete tractor, not bad looking. From the gas tank being under hte hood, you have a 73-75 model, 76 went under the seat.

It does look like you have a governor rod missing, but I would have to look at mine, maybe just my eyes gtgetting old.

As for running rich, I personally run the OH motors like you have a little rich, helps keeps the valves just a little cooler. These motors are prones to dropping vlaves seats out of he heads if they get too hot, cooler is better. Once you get the govn'r issue fixed to where it will idle, then we can start adjusting on it. As MH stated, need to make sure fuel system/cab  is clean and good to go before you really start making a bunch of carb adjustments. That carb should have two adjustments, I fought mine for a long time before I realised which one made the biggest and best difference.

I also run washer fluid in my rear  ag/ bar lug tires, but I have a front dump bucket, snow blade and do a lot of garden plowing, that extra 50#'s per tire aids in extra traction and coutner balance.

I have seen hoods fixed with metal plates over front end, even mateal sleeve that slide over the whole botom part of the nose. I got mine lines up, made a few small brackets to hold all teh pieces in place, then had my neighbor who does auto body adhere and bondo it all up. Don't ya kow, first time I put it back on, I forgot to put limit cable back on, flipped it forward and broke it again :wallbanging:

Most people with get them lined back up then layer Fiberglass with mess and build it up, then sand and top coat with glazing putty then paint.

#14 Golden Hurricane OFFLINE  

Golden Hurricane
  • 16 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 08:25 AM

MM1010 got great advice from MH81...just had to post that, it seemed hilarious to me! :bigrofl: on the serious side mm1010, you have a real GT and it should provide you with years of service from what I can tell. These guys can help you a lot with technical advice and help you focus on the real important issues! Good luck & keep us posted on progress.

#15 minimac1010 OFFLINE  

minimac1010
  • 3 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 07:32 PM

well i have tune the carb bowl fule in take thing to the what they had it at when it came out of the factorie what i really need is to get a needle spring