OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 12:08 PM

Just brought the HDT1000 back from the local JD dealer.  I had them put  Rim Guard in all four tires. 

It took 24 Gal., which is @264 lbs. Cost was VERY reasonable at $3.20/Gal. installed.

All I need to do now is get the wheel weights on all four tires and I'll be ready to plow. 

While I was there, I took a look at an X724, and I really wasn't impressed.  I'm thinking that the HDT would be more than a match for  :D :D :D :D

• Dieselcubmike and JRJ have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 03:03 PM

Maybe if a 724 is 2wd, but the 4wd versions of those tractors are very strong. I've seen a video somewhere of one of those hooked to a JD400 for a pull and it pulled the 400 all over the place. It wasn't even close. I was not expecting that. Thought the 400 would win that battle. On the other hand 4wd IS cheating, really!

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,723 Thanks
  • 8,906 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 03:10 PM

X724 is 2wd, 4 wheel steer.

I agree, $3.20/gallon is not too shabby.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:23 PM

I never have used rim guard before, I'll be curious how it goes. 

Ben W.

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:53 PM

This is my 2nd tractor with Rim Guard.  The first was my 1886 with a FEL on it.

It originally had unloaded turf tires on it and actually got 'stuck' on a flat yard.  It was really wet, and with no weight, the rear was too light to get any traction.  It just sat on top of the grass and spun.

I replaced the turfs with some CST Ancla tires filled with Rim Guard, and it walked out of where it was 'stuck' like it was on dry pavement.

If you need/want extra weight on a tractor filling the tires is the best option. With the weight in the tires, the axle/frame isn't carrying the weight, like with a weight box or other hanging weight.  It lowers the center of gravity which helps on slopes.  It's much more cost effective than iron wheel weights.

Rim Guard's advantage is that it much heavier than any other water based fluid (11lb/gal vs. 8lb/gal) with the possible exception of Calcium Chloride, which has some serious drawbacks, like being toxic to animals, highly corrosive and environmentally unfriendly.  Spill CaCl2, and it kills vegetation, and will kill animals that might drink it.  Rim Guard, being basically beet juice, is non-corrosive, biodegradable, and is actually approved as animal food.

Oh, and it is good to -35F.

About the only negatives is that it's not available everywhere, and you do need to make sure that you have metal valve stems as opposed to rubber ones. 

• olcowhand, Alc and CRFarnsworth have said thanks